Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 04-23-2002, 11:12 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Best Playoffs EVER???

OK, I've only been watching the playoffs since 1996, but... is this the BEST EVER??

After at least 3 games in each series, NO TEAM has a perfect record -- Toronto was the last to fall in that category with tonight's 6-1 loss. Even if the Top 4 in each conference goto the 2nd round, the bottom 4 in each conference have put up great fights. Detroit went down 2-0 and Boston is in a serious deficit after an emotional victory for Montreal tonight at home. The #7 Sens haven't allowed a goal in regulation time yet going into Game 4 tomorrow, Carolina has wild, wild fans in Raleigh; the LA Kings are smokin' offensively, the Sharks and Phoenix have a great faced-paced series that could go to 7 games, and Chicago and St. Louis are playing a great defensive battle.

FOLKS, THIS IS ONLY APRIL TWENTY-THIRD!!!!!!!!!!!

If not the best EVER, it's definitely the best race for Lord Stanley's Mug since 1996 when I started watching. EVER SERIES is close.

Call me optimistic, but I'm pumped for every game this postseason!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:15 AM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Haha, these are the best to ME! Course, that's not too hard, since these are the first I've watched.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

They seem pretty good this year, with all the close battles and surprises. Definitely no slouch, that's for sure.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:21 PM   #4
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

The best was 1994. The Rangers got to sweep the Isles in round 1 and went on to win their first cup since 1940

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well... that's a pretty biased opinion dontcha think!?

..but that was definitely one of the greatest Finals ever. The Rangers were up 3-0 or 3-1 with the next game in Vancouver and New York was making plans for the Stanley Cup Parade the next day. Boy oh boy, were they wrong!
Old 04-25-2002, 01:29 PM   #6
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

Biased opinion?!? Not from a New Yorker, what could you possibly be thinking?
Old 04-25-2002, 07:21 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Hehe :lol:
Old 04-28-2002, 01:33 AM   #8
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

These playoffs are great! The Devils and Flyers are both out and the Isles are one game from elimination! Amazing...

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
vp318
Sports Central Staff

vp318 is on a distinguished road

absolutely not. the term "best playoffs" in my opinion (as well as the the Commissioner's) means that the favorites win and the underdogs lose. this creates the most interesting Stanley Cup Final. Right now, we're likely to see one of the most lop-sided Stanley Cup Finals in a while if BOS, the only stronghold left in the East, loses to Montreal. If the playoffs were limited to teams in the Western Conferences, id say the playoffs are great, but the disappointing play of the Eastern Conference, namely Philly, Jersey, and even those dirty Bruins (or just Kyle McLaren) have made these 2002 playoffs very disappointing.

Cheers: Montreal, return of Forsberg, Vancouver-Detroit matchup (DET showed their prowess), Lalime

Jeers: Kyle McLaren, Jersey's lack of timely goals, Philly's Bill Barber, Carolina's goaltending duo

Overall grade: C-
vp318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 01:55 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Have you been watching!?? EVERY SERIES has been exciting with the exception of PHO/SJS -- that was the only one that came out as expected. STL/CHI coulda gone either way and although all of the top 4 seeds in the West (assuming COL wins Gm.7) are through, the East has had some amazing match-ups and twists and turns.

Best playoffs, IMO, isn't "best from each conference facing off in the Finals." That would be called "predicted" and "boring" (ie: last year -- both #1 seeds from each conference make the finals). Look at ESPN's "hockey braintrust" and their predictions -- almost every one of those so-called "experts" has a team predicted to be in the finals that will be eliminated in the first round.

To me, that's exciting, unpredictable hockey and the best race. What fun is it if all the top 4 teams go onto the next round? In the East, if everything holds as is, you got #3, #4, #7, and #8.

There is no clear-cut winner this year. Detroit looks like the best team but San Jose and St. Louis and Colorado definitely have the capabilities to knock them out. In baseball, you know the Yankees are going to be there in the end or at least in the league championship series. In the NHL, it's way too hard to get to the finals year in and year out and we're seeing that with the surge of the Habs, Nucks, Sens, Isles, etc., etc., etc. -- I think this is the best playoff race in YEARS.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:22 PM   #11
vp318
Sports Central Staff

Well, Lee, these are all opinions. Personally, i would hate seeing any Eastern Conference team that isnt the Boston Bruins get their @$$es royally whooped by the almost unbeatable Western Conference in the Finals. If Jersey and Philly were still in the playoffs, i think we'd see a better Stanley Cup matchup because these teams can compete against the West.

In the playoffs, it all comes down to the Stanley Cup matchup. personally, if its between two powerhouses, that's when things get interesting and fun to follow as opposed to a Cinderella vs. an all-star team in DET, COL, or STL or pretty much any Western Conference team.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:29 PM   #12
vp318
Sports Central Staff

and Lee, ur pretty much talking about the Western Conference, which as i said earlier is "great" to spectate, but the Eastern Conference has ruined a great playoffs with limited scoring and decent hitting, dirty checks, and disappointing play from the teams that could have potentially made the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals something special.

But...there is a time, i agree, when upsets are great and thats only when they happen to a team we all want beaten and when its in the Stanley Cup Finals. So, if a team, say Carolina, Montreal, or Ottawa, make it to the Finals against, say Detroit, Colorado, or St. Louis, the likelihood is a 4-0 sweep in favor of the behemoth known as the Western Conference. If an upset can happen against especially Detroit, then i would def change my opinion to THE BEST PLAYOFFS EVER, but thats so far out, i shouldnt even be thinking of that. haha
Old 04-28-2002, 03:34 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

True, these are all opinions but I wouldn't say the Eastern Conference is "disappointing."

There's been some good defensive efforts, but the lack of goals in the PHI/OTT series was all because of Lalime and Cechmanek and Boucher. Carolina played an excellent team game all series long to knock off the defending champs. . . . Leafs/Bruins/Islanders sure have had their moments complaining about reffing and of course the dirty hits, but they've been great series with a lot of goals and at times, excellent goaltending (Osgood a one-goal game, Joseph a shutout, and Theodore being Theodore in Game 5).

Maybe the Finals won't be the best if there's a sweep, but the race for each conference title is sure exciting in both conferences, wouldn't you agree?