Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #106
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
I haven't heard one piece of information that would lead me to believe that Americans as a whole don't generally think this is a successful country.
Of course you haven't because the only people you hear stuff from are your yacht club buddies with their trust funds, sitting in their plaid pants, sweater vest, and fancy hair-- hair that they won't even have when they get to be 50.

Again, if I was lawyer taking money from people in compromised positions, charging the poor guy who lost his leg in a motorcycle accident his other leg for lawyer fees, yeah, I would think that is a successful nation too.

Try asking the Indians, Chinese during the 19th century, and Japanese during WWII: I don't think that those guys are saying 'oh yeah, this is a wonderful country.'

Again, I invite you to live a day in my shoes, where I take it day by day, where each day could be my last, where I don't know if I am going to be able to feed my family or not, and where I have to carry a .45 in my back pocket just to feel safe.

Yeah, you may not be rich now, but I know the story: you graduate, live in Memphis, meet Danny Devito one day, take down the big insurance company, and next thing you know your scheming kids out of their lunch money.

Guess what, though? There is no Danny Devito for us and the only insurance company that we know is the one that won't cover us because we are a liability.

Liability? Try telling that to the family that relies on me to put clothes on their back and food on their table.

The forces are against me; I have the world on my back here and it's only getting heavier every day.

Try coming down here where it's cold, and it's bleak, and the world doesn't stop for nobody. But, again, some people weren't fit for this kind of stuff-- they are only fit for sailing on their yachts and cheating on their wife on business trips; business trips that start happening more and more often.

Last edited by Ellis; 09-03-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #107
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I guess that comment must have insulted you cuz it isn't a cop out at all but a possible explanation of why all those issues don't seem to be serious at all. If there's another reason, let me know cuz it's still a curiosity of why that is.
I don't think I ever said the issues weren't important, though.

Quote:
More like get involved. That problem has been addressed by me before where some are too lazy, some don't know what they can do, & others are insulated from the problems & aren't affected in the least which translates to 'don't care...everything is great'.
It seems like with the last election and with this election that more people are getting involved. What differentiates voting in a sheeplike manner and supporting a candidate? So, if you support a candidate, vote for them, but certain problems don't get fixed, what's the answer? Stop voting for someone that says things like them?

Quote:
Vote for politicians who do things & not just promise.
I think people want to do this.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #108
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:lol:

You still slay me, Rob...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #109
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
I don't think I ever said the issues weren't important, though.
You may not have used those words but your impression of the US not having any desperate issues prompted my thoughts. I think we're in a precariously dangerous time that's highly impacted by the war which will do irreparable damage in many areas to many people. Personally I think everyone should be alarmed at this stage.

Quote:
It seems like with the last election and with this election that more people are getting involved. What differentiates voting in a sheeplike manner and supporting a candidate? So, if you support a candidate, vote for them, but certain problems don't get fixed, what's the answer? Stop voting for someone that says things like them?
Yes but we have no idea if it will stay that way or it's the 'rock star' effect of Obama & the internet that will possibly fizzle once the novelty has worn off. Sheep-like is more about just getting amped about the election/competition, casting your vote & letting things ride till the next election which sees the pattern happening all over again. Supporting your candidate entails holding him to his promised standard & making any kind of waves you think best if it doesn't happen that way. As it is, the party loyalty preempts many from breaking out of the party holding pattern when it comes to choosing someone.

As far as what you can do? Put it this way, whatever each voter decides they want to do whether it be write-in to your party/congressman/Senator/etc., grass root movements, etc. & even as far as casting your vote outside the party. Even if you think your 1 vote won't make a difference, cast it with a candidate who speaks for the people. Voting with a party that fails you is admitting your vote means nothing & shows that your fear of the unknown (not knowing if your lessor of 2 evils might lose) is greater than standing up for what's right.

Personally I can't vote for someone who reneges on their promises even if they are told by their party to or ultimately don't have the power/influence you thought they had.

Quote:
I think people want to do this.{Vote for politicians who do things & not just promise. }
I agree but I think most either don't know what to do about it if they (the politicians) don't do what they say or are just afraid of what they may be left with.

Last edited by Tarkus; 09-03-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #110
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

There is too much from both buck and tark for me to respond right now... I do have a job to do

I will just say this: it appears to me that you both are as closed-minded as anyone could be. You refuse to beleive that this government can work. You refuse to believe that any candidate from either party could ever be good for this country.

Buck said: "Why are we bringin' this scumbag's (Obama) name up? I don't care what he WANTS to do. I care what he's DONE. That's how you judge a person."

What exactly has he DONE that is so bad?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #111
Ellis
gymnopedist

Buck, people said we couldn't compete, by trusting in the American people, but we can. There are a quarter million people who want to see a new health care system out there. There are a quarter million people who want to turn the page on our energy policy. There are at least a quarter million people who are ready to see this war in Iraq brought to an end.

Obama gets teased because he talks a lot about hope and bringing people together and leaving behind the divisions of the past. Sometimes, the reporters, the folks in Washington, say he's being naive. They call him a hope-monger, a hope-peddler. But he is absolutely convinced...that's what people want
Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #112
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I will just say this: it appears to me that you both are as closed-minded as anyone could be. You refuse to beleive that this government can work. You refuse to believe that any candidate from either party could ever be good for this country.

Then I'll look forward to you replying later & of course about the topic, not the other posters. :thumbup:

&, oh, please refer to where I said any of those things you posted there. I'm curious if I've lost my memory or you've started a new career as a fiction writer.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #113
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

Then I'll look forward to you replying later & of course about the topic, not the other posters. :thumbup:

&, oh, please refer to where I said any of those things you posted there. I'm curious if I've lost my memory or you've started a new career as a fiction writer.

I think I said "it appears," meaning, that is what I've taken from your statements - not direct quotes.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #114
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:

I think I said "it appears," meaning, that is what I've taken from your statements - not direct quotes.
Again, here lies the problem when trying to talk politics. Without a clear chain of thoughts, little bias, and the other person's own personal dictionary that shows both how they define/perceive the word and any emotional (positive or negative) connotations that the word caries, you just run into a web of word games and misconceptions.

And this is just another reason why talking politics (especially heavily) is a waste of time.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #115
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:

I understand "appears" & how you used it. What I asked is if you would refer me to any quotes, in context', of the following statements that allows for the 'appearance' of that.

Quote:
You refuse to beleive that this government can work. You refuse to believe that any candidate from either party could ever be good for this country
Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #116
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Again, here lies the problem when trying to talk politics. Without a clear chain of thoughts, little bias, and the other person's own personal dictionary that shows both how they define/perceive the word and any emotional (positive or negative) connotations that the word caries, you just run into a web of word games and misconceptions.

And this is just another reason why talking politics (especially heavily) is a waste of time.
Well said...

Personally, I'm just over here cuz SC has ground to a halt on sports convos & I guess I just keep the idea open that some day some site may flounder & a few quality posters may show up.

Now that that thought is in print...excuse me for a moment:

:lol::lol::lol:

OK, I'm back...
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #117
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
There is too much from both buck and tark for me to respond right now... I do have a job to do

Maybe our minds are full. You know, of life experience and other matters that have shaped our opinions years before you were eating crayons and make presents in your diapers.

Sorry CK...couldn't resist.

And I know the government can work my young friend. I just don't trust them when they don't represent the people as their primary goal.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #118
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

I think we should take CK on a weekend "Retreat".

That aughta help...
Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #119
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
I think we should take CK on a weekend "Retreat".

That aughta help...
Yeah, really.

I think I'll start takin' the CK Approach to life tomorrow at school: trust everyone's word, hold nobody accountable and empower them as they screw me over.

Hell, they'll love me!!!!

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #120
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Come on guys...

I know you joke quite a bit, but you really have me misunderstood.

It's fair to criticize me, but I don't think that condescension is necessary.

Think Fresh.