Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-11-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Arrington Says No to Restructuring

Normally, refusals to restructure a contract aren't a big deal.

HOWEVER, with the 'Skins banging their heads against the salary cap ceiling, and with Champ Bailey similarly refusing a deal earlier this calendar year, choosing instead to test the free agent market waters this coming offseason, one wonders if two of the main components of this up-down defense will be available to the highest bidders next season.

Bailey, obviously will, and without checking free agent lists, is likely to be the most desired (and desirable) corner on the market (Cowher!! Pssst!! You need a shutdown corner. Badly. Overpay the man and get on with it.)

But, with a cap number next season exceeding $10M, one has to wonder if the 'Skins might have to do what's best for the team's finances, and let Arrington go. It's a sign of the times, but for a team with so many continued problems, dedicating 1/8 of the salary cap to one guy, especially a guy who might not be getting on well with management, coaching and others...

So, who steps up to the plate and pitches a home run ball to LaVar?

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
saturnbar
Sports Enthusiast

saturnbar is on a distinguished road

The Chiefs need some D.
saturnbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I'd be sorry to see either of them go. But if I had to pick one to stay, it would be Bailey. Hopefully Snyder will do something right for a change and find someway to keep them both.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The 'Skins have a lot of talent and are close to being a playoff team, so it would be a shame if they lose a couple of their playmakers just as they are on verge of getting over the hump. The 'Skins desperately need an O-line and every-down RB.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:38 PM   #5
Skinswin
Grizzled Veteran

Skinswin is on a distinguished road

Keep the players get rid of the coach. The Skins (and I love them dearly) would not be in this boat if they had a real coach that can inspire his players, Snyder would not have to spend so much on lousy overpriced free agents that don't care once they get the big contract. Then he would not be in this boat. Snyder knows about as much about football as I do ballet and that is zilch. Snyder thanks he can buy a winner money is not the cure all and the Skins are the proof in this statement. So I say if you loose a guy like Lavar because of cap problems and you are not winning look further into the team at the coach. Hey Dan FIRE Steve!!! Then Dan after Steve is gone don't spend so much money on overpriced free agents and get some draft picks. Build a team with players not money grubbing bums and look toward the future.
Skinswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Packers3045 is on a distinguished road

if i had to choose between arrington and bailey i would pick bailey since there are more good LBs out there than CBs
Old 12-15-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Man ... the 'Skins got whooped by a Dallas team that was struggling a bit coming into it. I mean shutout ... just a disgrace.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:13 AM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Marc, the Skins have more problems than you point out above. Skins covered the biggest one: Coach.

I think it's highly unlikely that the Skins can keep both. That said, Bailey may not give the Skins an opportunity to keep him. He may accept the first overbidding contract put on his coffee table. And, while it won't be, I'm hoping Dan Rooney and Kevin Colbert are planning to put Cowher in a coma the moment free agency starts, and wake him up sometime just before training camp.

As for Arrington... well, I personally think the Skins will keep him, but I guess the point of the thread is this: Don't be surprised if Arrington plays elsewhere next year.

Dave
Old 12-18-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Falcons will. I know it. Or at least I hope desperately
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

You're right Kornby, the Falcons need to be involved in the Bailey matter, most definitely, and if Arrington finds himself on the trash heap, they could probably afford to give him due consideration. HOWEVER, with exceptions only to Detroit, Minnesota, and Arizona, there aren't many teams who have cap room to carry both guys...

Dave