Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 05-29-2003, 05:27 PM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Michigan State to set Attendance Record

Quote:
DETROIT -- Michigan State wants to add the college basketball attendance record to the one it already holds for an NCAA hockey game.

The school said Wednesday that it will play Kentucky in a men's basketball game on Dec. 13, 2003, at Ford Field. A news conference to discuss the details of the event will be held Thursday morning at the indoor arena in downtown Detroit where the NFL's Lions play.

The college basketball attendance record of 68,112 was set Jan. 20, 1990, at a game between Louisiana State and Notre Dame at the Superdome in New Orleans. The NBA's attendance record is 62,046 from a Chicago-Atlanta game at the Georgia Dome on March 27, 1998.

Ford Field seats 65,000 in its football configuration, but several thousand more seats could be added around a basketball court on the artificial turf.

At Spartan Stadium, Michigan State played Michigan to a 3-3 tie on Oct. 6, 2001, before 74,554 fans -- the most to ever watch a hockey game.

"This game is sure to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the coaches, players and fans involved,'' Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said. "Kentucky is the perfect opponent for this game as it is an elite program with a national following. It will be great for Michigan State University, the Spartan basketball program and college basketball to play this game on a national stage. We hope to create a Final Four atmosphere for a regular-season game.''

Kentucky coach Tubby Smith said he's looking forward to the experience.

"I want to tell you how excited and proud we are to be participating in such a spectacular event,'' Smith said. "It will be a fun environment as everybody's eyes around the country will be on Ford Field.''
well they did it for hockey so i'm pretty sure that they will set the record for this. i just don't get why people would pay anything more than $5 to sit in the highest part of Ford Field. you'd barely be able to see the game
Old 05-30-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Michigan State to set Attendance Record

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
well they did it for hockey so i'm pretty sure that they will set the record for this. i just don't get why people would pay anything more than $5 to sit in the highest part of Ford Field. you'd barely be able to see the game
Good point, but one reason might be to be a part of history, being able to say, "hey, I was there." That's a strong and legit reason.

By the way, it's not just MSU who is doing this, my Wildcats are also playing, just wanted to point that out.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

this is stupid by Michigan State. First of all, they probably won't fill up the stadium, unless they promote it like *******es by trying to get people to come just to set the record. It is not like the record means anything. Anyone could set it. Heck, when Georgia Tech is preseason #1 someday, they could just schedule the preseason #2 team and play them in the Georgia Dome and shatter the record. I hope Michigan State doesn't fill up the stadium and they get their asses kicked for trying to pull such a dumb publicity stunt.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

It's good for the game, so I don't know why you should be so bitter about it. Also, I disagree that anyone could set it. You need two execeptional teams with huge fanbases and MSU and UK are that. The majority of the teams couldn't pull this off, but these two have lots of fans.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

I just dont think that records that are easy to reach are pointless and it is stupid that this is being made into a big deal, and it shouldn't be historic.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:53 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereyes33
I just dont think that records that are easy to reach are pointless and it is stupid that this is being made into a big deal, and it shouldn't be historic.
What part of selling 75,000 seats to a b-ball game is easy? Isn't it a record *because* it is such a tremendous feat?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:07 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well, if one American univeristy is to hold the record for most people to attend a hockey game, it might as well be Michigan. I don't get why the Leafs don't rent out SkyDome during the playoffs and play hockey in there to break the record... it fits like 55-60 thousand for baseball, I'm sure you could fit another 10-15 thousand on baseball field level.......... but anyway....

What makes you think they will charge more than $5 for nosebleeds??
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:09 PM   #8
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

75,000 seats is easy if the circumstances are right (lots of preseason hype for both teams, and be close to the beginning of the year), just use the Georgia Dome, or some other dome.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:03 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I see 33's points on this, but to me, it's no big deal. It's been done before. The Lakers played the Pistons in the Pontiac Dome and set records before. The Bulls played the Hawks at the Georgia Dome before I believe? and got something like 45,000 for a game. It's publicity and nothing more then that. Who cares really?

An even more exciting thing is going to happen in hockey next year possibly when there will be a game in Edmonton? I believe and it will be OUTDOORS. Now that will be special, due to the uniqueness of it with such a large crowd and not inside.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

This is nuts ... it's soldout ... in JULY!

http://www.greenandwhite.com/mens_ba...asketbowl.html