Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Paul or John?

It seems like everyone has a dog in this race, which probably stems from the fact that the two of them had the most vocal roles and often clashed with one another.

While I probably believe in most of John's political views, I just don't like most of the songs that he wrote. I also don't like most of his solo stuff. And he didn't have the same kind of easy-going personality that Paul had.

On the other hand, Paul seems like a better guy and I enjoy almost all of the stuff that he wrote.

I would take Paul over John any day.

So who is your pick: John or Paul?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'd go with John...especially in his younger years. He was more militant and wrote better songs IMO.

I agree with you Rob that Paul seems like the "better guy" but that only makes John more likeable to me.

I wouldn't go so far as to say John was an a-hole, but he was definitely frosty. Neil Young is an a-hole and that's why he's God.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Ellis
gymnopedist

Yeah, their early stuff was pretty weak in my opinion and I can't say that I am familiar with who wrote what off of their early albums. So maybe John had a big role (along with drugs) with their transformation.

But, Paul is the kind of guy that I would want as a friend and his songs were much more relatable and universal in my opinion. Maybe that is a turn off to some, but I don't know... there is just something about John that I don't particularly like, even though I should like him for all of his activism.

From what I have read, John could be a real jerk to Paul. Maybe this is where we disagree Buck, but I just think that makes him look bad.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I look at the stuff they wrote after their duo broke up and see that John did a better job there.
John wins.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
Ellis
gymnopedist

I don't think it is fair to judge based on their solo careers. Yeah, Paul's has been a major flop, for the most part, and John put out some good stuff, but I still think that best songs when they were together were written by Paul.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Together they where great, solo John was so much better.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Tough question. It is almost apples to oranges. They are both great at different things.

Paul could/can write a great melody, and beautiful harmonies. His music is much more accessible and initially delightful to the hears. He could write a hit in his sleep.

John was moer creative, more experimental, and less accessible. His music sometimes sounds rough, and it can be jarring at times. Yet the genius and influence of his music is undeniably second to none. He was more of an artists.

So, I personally prefer John's work simply because I appreciate it more. While Paul's song writing is amazing, he wasn't quite as artistic/experimental/creative as John.

If you like a hit, Paul is your man. If you like original creativity, go with John.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I guess I am the only fan of Wings, huh?

I am not a big of John Lennon's solo work, and I would argue that Paul McCartney was a much more creative and complex artist (Sgt. Pepper, anyone?) than Lennon.

While you can't lose either way, I feel Lennon has only become more beloved than McCartney because he died young.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
I guess I am the only fan of Wings, huh?

I am not a big of John Lennon's solo work, and I would argue that Paul McCartney was a much more creative and complex artist (Sgt. Pepper, anyone?) than Lennon.

While you can't lose either way, I feel Lennon has only become more beloved than McCartney because he died young.
I don't think that is fair to say. John had a huge following before he died.

"Creative" is a funny word. The things Paul was doing (and is doing) are great. They are certainly creative in some respect, but he doesn't take as many chances with his music as John did. It is rare that you hear a song from Paul that is not immediately pleasing to the ear. In other words, almost all of his songs can be hits. THat is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it is great.

The difference I see however, is that John's music tends to be less appealing to the general public, but more appealing to music critic community, and the "artistic" crowd.

Again, neither is better or worse, just different.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Lennon is the one who championed Imagine, but yet lived in a mansion, with a special humidor for his fur coats.

First Paul-written songs that come to mind:
Let It Be
Yesterday
The Long and Winding Road
You Never Give Me Your Money
Golden Slumbers
Get Back
Blackbird
Ob-la-di Ob-la-da (one of my favorites, even though most people find it annoying. I know that Lennon was the one responsible for speeding up the tempo of the song, but you still have to credit the song to Paul.)

To me, most of those are the Beatles songs; all which were primarily or entirely written by McCartney.

I don't want to sound dislike Lennon because I don't, I just think that McCartney is the better person and song writer.

Last edited by Ellis; 09-26-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Lennon songs that come to mind:

"Please Please Me"
"Love Me Do"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Come Together"
"Help!"
"Ticket to Ride"
"Happiness is a Warm Gun"
"Across the Universe"
"All You Need Is Love"
"Cry Baby Cry"
"Don't Let Me Down" (the Beatles' most "Soulful" song.)
"Glass Onion"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Feel Fine"
"I'm Only Sleeping"
"I'm So Tired"
"In My Life"
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
"Nowhere Man"
"Revolution"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"

Lennon wrote most of their early hits, and took the band in a direction that Paul could have never accomplished.

Lennon was responsible for the diversity of their music.

Without Lennon, it would have been tough for the Beatles to be considered more than just a pop band. He gave them that "edge" that Paul lacked.

Again, I love Paul - one of the greatest song writers EVER. John was very important, that's all I'm saying

Think Fresh.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
He could write a hit in his sleep.
Pun intended? I didn't notice it the first time I read it, but isn't Blackbird the song that he heard in a dream?

Anyways, there is no denying that the Beatles would have never gotten the acclaim that they have today without Lennon's experimental edge, but if the question at hand is who is the better song writer, I think McCartney wrote the majority of their best songs. Lennon had some good songs that helped them become the band they are, but I still think McCartney's songs, in general, were better.

Also, while I admire Lennon for his activism, I think he was a bit hypocritical in the fact that he preached such great ideas, but yet lived a life of excess-- at least from what I have read.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Pun intended?
Not intended, but it certainly works. I've never heard that about Blackbird, but you may be right.

Quote:
who is the better song writer
Tough question, because "better" is subjective of course. It also depends on what criteria you use. Sold more, critically acclaimed, "sounds" better?

I enjoy both of their songs, but for me, Lennon was better.

I think the collaboration is what made both of them great however. Those two minds, along with George Martin, changed music forever. They were perfect together, yet very opposite - the yin and yang if you will.

I'm not sure how hypocritical Lennon was. I can see your point. He had a huge house, and a lot of land, but I think that was partially an attempt to escape from the hysteria that surrounded the Beatles. He certainly did a lot to raise people's awareness about war, peace, and alternative ways of thinking. If nothing else, he opened the minds of millions of people, and helped create a generation of people who would later challenge the system and question authority...

Think Fresh.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 AM   #14
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Keith Richards?

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually just forget I said that. CK and I have already been there on that one...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Yeah... let's leave Keith Richards out of this Besides, this conversation isn't about heroin....

What other song writers do you guys put in the same league as John and Paul.

Most of you may not know of a band called Wilco, but you should. Jeff Tweedy is the singer songer writer of the band and he is the closest thing to John or Paul to this date.

I strongly suggest you check out their new album, "Sky Blue Sky." It is a materpiece.

Think Fresh.