Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road
Default Federer vs. Nadal (Version 2007)

2007 version began with a staright set win by Nadal in Monte Carlo Masters Series finals. The quality in the first set was above average but in the second set Federer made too many unforced errors, trying to go for too much.

The 2007 version's scenrio could be pretty much the same as 2006. Nadal winning the clay court tournaments, Federer winning pretty much the rest.

Mert E.
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

It's been years since I really watched any tennis....is Federer like Sampras, always winning on the hard courts but unable to get the wins on clay?
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Mertov
All-Star Player

Hi Montravant,

Good question because there is this specious argument out there that Federer can't win on clay, because he has yet to win Roland Garros and we hear about him losing to Nadal on clay.

The answer to your question is: No, not at all.

Federer is actually the second best clay court player behind Nadal by a distance for about 2 years. In other words, "Nadal on clay" is the exception to Federer being totally dominant in all of tennis.

Sampras was quite mediocre, and at times quite miserable on clay. His best show at Roland Garros was semifinals one time and he won three clay court titles all of his career on clay, only 1 (ONE) in European clay court. This is the reason, in my opinion, Sampras is not the greatest of all time. He did not just "not win the French". He was at best an average player on clay court throughout his career. Even in his best clay court year, he was not a top 5 clay court player. Most years, barely top 15 or 20..

Federer is the best clay court player in the last two years (maybe even three) behind Nadal. He already has numerous clay court titles in his career, some quite big tournaments. And he has appeared in the finals of a bunch only losing to Nadal. He has also been to the semis and finals of Roland Garros once each, only to lose to Nadal both times. He is actually the only one to come close to beating Nadal on clay in the last 2 years, taking him to 4 or 5 sets.

In short, Federer and Sampras are almost like apples and oranges on clay. Now if you said Becker instead of Federer, that would work

Mert E.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

It was kind of weird hearing Federer's post-match comments, saying he was happy to get closer to beating Nadal. Sounded funny coming from the best player in the world by far. I know about the clay issue, but it was a bit like hearing Michael Jordan say "I'm just glad we could hang with the Knicks into the 4th Quarter"
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
It was kind of weird hearing Federer's post-match comments, saying he was happy to get closer to beating Nadal. Sounded funny coming from the best player in the world by far. I know about the clay issue, but it was a bit like hearing Michael Jordan say "I'm just glad we could hang with the Knicks into the 4th Quarter"
Too humble, IMO. If you're the man, act like the man. Grow some balls, Roger.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Mertov
All-Star Player

Incredible!

Right when you think Federer is having the worst slump since becoming number one, and barely makes it to the finals of Hamburg after tight wins in every round and playing sub-par tennis, he comes out and plays an almost perfect-match to defeat Nadal for the first time ever on clay, and stopping his record 81 match winning streak.

If somebody said "Nadal will lose a set 6/0 on clay this year" I would have told them to check into rehab.

The series is 1-1 in 2007.

Mert E.

PS: In my opinion Nadal is still the clear favorite to win the French Open.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

That was a good time for Federer to break out of his slump. It'll make Nadal less of a sure-shot to win the French, making things interesting.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Mertov
All-Star Player

Nadal wins the Roland Garros final and leads the series 2-1. There is no doubt that Federer is the best clay court player right behind Nadal. Now, let's see if Nadal can prove that he really is number 2 right behind Federer on other surfaces (or even the best and finish the year number 1).

Mertov
Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Mertov
All-Star Player

After Wimbledon, the series is at 2-2 for the year. Wimbledon final was the most entertaining so far.

Mert E.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertov View Post
After Wimbledon, the series is at 2-2 for the year. Wimbledon final was the most entertaining so far.

Mert E.
I even tuned in for a bit towards the end and I never watch tennis. Very entertaining indeed.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
Ricky Dimon
Sports Enthusiast

Ricky Dimon is on a distinguished road

Nadal is better at Wimbledon than he is at the Open

i'm rooting for Nadal, but Federer is getting the US Open again, although he might not even play Nadal in the final if Djokovic is on N's side of the draw
Ricky Dimon is offline   Reply With Quote