Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-25-2002, 03:04 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Top 25 from the SportingNews

These predictions are from the College Football edition of the SportingNews. Top25

1.Oklahoma
2.Florida St.
3.Texas
4.Miami
5.Georgia
6.Washington State
7.Tennessee
8.Florida
9.Colorado
10.Ohio State
11.Nebraska
12.Washington
13.Louisville
14.Marshall
15.Michigan
16.Penn St
17.LSU
18.USC
19.Auburn
20.Oregon
21.Virginia Tech
22.Purdue
23.Mich St
24.NC State
25.Oregon State

I can't believe Ohio St. will be in the top 10. I think LSU should be a lot higher. I would put Alabama in the Top 25, but they have to play Oklahoma this season. Plus its time for Auburn to beat Bama.
I think Miami will win another National Championship with Ken Dorsey at the helm and winning the Heisman.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:10 PM   #2
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Since it is too much to comment on the entire top 25, I will just remark to your afterthoughts Bama.

Ohio St. could very well end in the top 10. There 2 toughest non league games are at home. There Big 10 slate is very favorable to them. Would not surprise me to see them end the season in the top 10. But peresonally I will not be rooting for that.

LSU gets no respect from me. I believe they will lose there opening game at VT. But any team that puts together a non league schedule like theres deserves no respect. LSU is my favorite SEC team, but when you schedule The Citadel, Miami(OH) and Louisiana-Lafayette as three of your four non leaguers. Thats a joke.

I see Alabama losing 5 games this year. Don't see any top 25 for them.

And I will also go against your pick of Miami winning it all this year. I do not think they will get thru there schedule with only 1 loss. I see them having at least 2 losses this year during the regular season.

Grossman wins the Heisman.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:42 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Miami lost way too much to win it all again....They lost an entire secondary, tight end, running back, and several offensive linemen as well. And to inherit the schedule they have this season with Florida, Tennessee, and FSU is not very favorable for them.

LSU will struggle with Matt Mauk being their QB....he is a one demensional QB just like Jenkins is from South Carolina. Both are running Qbs and lack accuracy in passing the ball. LSU does have a promising wide out in Micheal Clayton though, and Labrandon Toefield at tailback is returning...lets see if he can stay healthy a full season though.

Ohio State has the best secondary player in the nation in my estimation in Mike Doss. And as #47 said their toughest games are at home, so things are sort of laid out for them to take if they can pull it together.

Alabama plays in the Wild West of the SEC so I won't even try to speculate what their season will fold out to be.

I think Georgia, Marshall, and Louisville are ranked to high, and well a team that isn't even ranked and who I think will upset some teams this season is Texas A & M. They have all their tough games either at home or in the state of Texas....watch for the Aggies to make some noise.

Good call on the Heisman #47....Grossman is my choice, but Leftwich from Marshall will push him.

Go Gators!!!!!!

Joey
Old 07-25-2002, 05:29 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

MArshall is going to be fantastic this year. They could go undefeated and play in a good bowl.

OSU will take the Big Ten, finish in the Top Ten, and win the Rose Bowl by Ten.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:36 AM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

The only reason why Marshall will be fantastic as you say is because of the terrible conference they play in. Leftwich is going to put up so many numbers this season due to the fact he is playing terrible competition.

Go look at their schedule! It is not worthy of them getting a good bowl game at all. When Marshall did play stiff competition last seaon in Florida they were beaten by 30 some odd points. I saw the East Carolina game, and Leftwich is amazing but they are not that good as a team to be ranked that high. Plus, they lost their Offensive Coordinator to the Gators!

Joey
Old 07-26-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Well, where is Kentucky? C'mon, people. Oh wait, that'll be in basketball season. Nevermind.

A couple points here. Firstly, I'm not a Big 10 liker, but I'm pulling for the Bucks, along with Rick and Nick. It's about time they cracked the top 10.

Secondly, anyone notice Louisville up there? They play a pancake schedule (they always open against Kentucky and that game to us fans is like the season, *the* game with the big rivalry, catch it on ESPN2 on Sept. 1 ).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 12:53 PM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Yeah I stated Louisville was much too high as well. They play in a weak conference in Conference USA, which they will not win this season! Southern Miss will win that conference this year. But Louisville will have a very good record and they do have a good offensive game. Dave Ragone is a Heisman trophy candidate at Qb for the Louisville Cardinals as well.

Joey
Old 07-26-2002, 09:49 PM   #8
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Youve probably never even watched a MAC game in your life. The MAC is a strong, competitive conference. Marshal has got a lot of talent, and just because they dont play in a big conference doesnt mean they arent a good team.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:41 AM   #9
Sports Virtuoso

The MAC is a nice conference, but lets not get crazy and start saying it compares to the other Big 6 conferences, because it's not even close, especially top to bottom.

Marshall has a nice program as does Bowling Green, Toledo. But its a 14 team conference with several teams who are far closer to being the worst teams in the country, then even being mediocre. 14 teams in a league means unbalanced schedules, which means some teams will have a much easier road then others. Take a look at Marshall's schedule. The 4 top teams in the MAC this year are suppose to be Marshall, Bowling Green, Toledo and Central Florida. Of those 3 other teams, Marshall only plays Central Florida. Bowling Green only plays Toledo, Toledo though has to play both BG and Central Florida and lastly Central Florida only plays Marshall. But yet Miami (OH) has to play 3 of those 4. Kent St. has to play 3 of those 4. Ohio plays 3. Westrn Mich. plays 3. ETC. The league has too many weak sisters and it seems the scheduling gods of the MAC are looking out for the powers, maybe to help them look better on the National scene, in hopes of giving the MAC some more exposure with a few teams with excellent records.

If Marshall or Toledo or Bowling Green played in any of the Big 6 conferences they at best would be .500 in conference teams.

As for watching MAC games, I have watched plenty. One of my best friends was a 3 year starter at corner in the MAC conference. They have some good players in this league, but they are no where near the Big conferences.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.

Last edited by #47; 07-27-2002 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:54 AM   #10
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Ricky, I never said that Marshall wasn't a good team, but you go look at their schedule and see if it hops out at you! They only really play one decent team in Virginia Tech in the first game of the season. I am just saying that even if this Marshall team goes 12-0 or 11-1 which is possible, that they won't get any consideration for any major bowl at all. Even when Tulane went 11-0 when Shaun King was there...they played a terrible schedule, but their schedule looks competitive after looking at Marshall's outrageously mediocre schedule.

Marshall has maybe the best QB in the game, and he will put up mind boggling stats this season especially with the competition he is playing against. But go back and watch the Florida game and see how many stats he had against them. And Florida's defense wasn't even that good last season. Marshall is ranked too high on this poll and they would probably get beat by 75% of this top 25 poll.

And yes I have watched a crazy MAC game.....I won't say that I sit at home and watch MAC football every weekend when more interesting and competitive football is on though. If the MAC was so good, then they would get more television coverage and media publicity. Marshall is by far the only good team in that conference this upcoming season, and if they don't go at least 11-1 then their season should be a disappointment. Their only loss might be to Virginia Tech.

Joey
Old 07-27-2002, 04:18 PM   #11
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

I dont care about their schedule. They have a ton of talent, and if they go 12-0 and beat VA Tech, they should play in a BCS or at least Jan 1st bowl.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:25 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Look at what happened last year, Rick, Oregon (wasn't it?) had a better record yet they still didn't get to face Miami in the championship game. Instead, it was Nebraska, who had their butts kicked the previous game. Goes to show how much the BCS freaking SUCKS.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:01 PM   #13
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Also last season a team called BYU who was 11-0 was crying like babies to play in the BCS and they had a horrible schedule last season. They didn't play a team worth anything last season and almost lost to a 3-8 Mississippi State team towards the end of the season. Then BYU goes out after filing a lawsuit against the NCAA for not letting them in the BCS and loses to Hawaii by 30 .....lol.

Marshall plays a worse schedule than BYU did last season, and I have no respect for that. And if they have so much talent, then start telling me another player on that team that you know of besides Byron Leftwich!

And Marc, Oregon's situation is much different than Marshall's. Oregon plays a very tough schedule and plays in the PAC 10. Marshall plays a lackluster schedule and can't beat 75% of the top 25 teams now in this preseason poll.

And for Ricky to say he doesn't care what their schedule is, that is like saying we will play all cakewalks during the season and expect to play a team like Oregon in the Orange Bowl, who have played tough competition all season... and then Marshall would get killed and would be made a laughing stock of NCAA football!

Scheduling does matter Ricky! If they are going to play in a weak conference like the MAC then they better schedule 4 very good games outside their conference to assure themselves a BCS game. And if they get a BCS game even being 12-0 that is horrible and outlandish, because they will not have proved anything by playng the school for the blind and wheel chair university all season!

And I don't mean to insult anyone by my last statment if I did, but I am just making my point!

Joey
Old 07-28-2002, 01:42 PM   #14
Sports Virtuoso

Joey you couldnt be more right. And Rick, Marshall does not deserve to play in a BCS game with a schedule like the one they play. Marc, your right, the BCS is a crock.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:15 PM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

BCS is a crock. Let's invoke a playoff system and the schools could make more money.