Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 03-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Doherty out at North Carolina?

Quote:
AD Baddour reiterates support for Doherty

Associated Press

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina has not made a decision on the future of basketball coach Matt Doherty, athletic director Dick Baddour said Friday.

Baddour held a group meeting with Tar Heels players on Thursday and met with them individually all day Friday, talking about the program and Doherty.

"I reiterate my support for Matt Doherty," Baddour said late Friday night.

After the meeting Thursday, the players and Baddour declined comment.

Freshman center Sean May told The News & Observer of Raleigh that the players asked for the meeting "just to talk." Doherty, however, said he started postseason player meetings with Baddour last year.

"I initiated that," Doherty told the newspaper. "I wanted it to happen. I asked Dick to do that."

Doherty did not return several messages seeking comment Friday.

Baddour had said that he was continuing his evaluation of the basketball program and Doherty, whose third season as Tar Heels coach came to an end with Wednesday's loss to Georgetown in the National Invitation Tournament.

The Heels finished 19-16 and missed the NCAA tournament for the second straight season.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0328/1530979.html

I've heard Internet rumors that Doherty has cleared out his office -- not because of wins or losses, but because of how he treated his players (curious on that one). This would be a shocker. Who would coach UNC if Doherty leaves?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Michael Jordan?....lol...ok kidding.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:20 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

If his (lack of) success with the Wiz he built is any indication, he isn't a good choice. :goof:
Old 04-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The rumor was truth. Way to be ahead of the curve, there, Marc. You even had Vitale beat.

Roy Williams will of course be the prime candidate.

Steve Lavin's available, as far as I know...

Dave
Old 04-02-2003, 10:08 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Since I hate UNC and all of that damn tobacco road, I'm hoping they pull off a shocker and hire Jerry Dunn.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

This guy was voted AP Columnist of the year for 2002. I hope he's right about Roy staying in KC, but even if he's wrong and Roy does go back to UNC, it's still a pretty good read.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...ts/5536023.htm

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:43 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
Since I hate UNC and all of that damn tobacco road, I'm hoping they pull off a shocker and hire Jerry Dunn.
yes and i hope they don't hire Lavin and they fire Doherty we need a quality coach at Penn State where the fans past the time by saying "Fire Dunn" the entire season. i think Doherty should be fired, he has been given too much talent not to win there
Old 04-03-2003, 05:48 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

No one has talked about Doherty's apparent poor treatment of players, however. He was apparently a jerk and very tough/abusive in practice. I didn't see that in him, but I was wrong. I think Roy Williams would be a nice choice if he wins one with Kansas, but he couldn't go wrong either place.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Roy should stay with Kansas, I think he takes a step down if he goes to UNC.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
No one has talked about Doherty's apparent poor treatment of players, however. He was apparently a jerk and very tough/abusive in practice. I didn't see that in him, but I was wrong. I think Roy Williams would be a nice choice if he wins one with Kansas, but he couldn't go wrong either place.
As if Coach K, Bob Knight and any pick of other head coaches isn't tough, to the point of abusiveness, in practice??? Come on. This is a horrible and disturbing case of inmates running the asylum. This is actually quite a disturbing event for UNC. I think the Tar Heels could be in for a slide of epic and tortuous proportions, given the school's history.

Primadonnas are the issue here. Not Doherty and his practices.

Dave
Old 04-05-2003, 07:41 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

As if Coach K, Bob Knight and any pick of other head coaches isn't tough, to the point of abusiveness, in practice??? Come on. This is a horrible and disturbing case of inmates running the asylum. This is actually quite a disturbing event for UNC. I think the Tar Heels could be in for a slide of epic and tortuous proportions, given the school's history.

Primadonnas are the issue here. Not Doherty and his practices.

Dave
Well, I agree, I was only relaying what I heard. It comes down to this: you win and you can get by with being harsh and stern. If you lose, a finger is pointed at you. If Doherty was winning, do you think he really would no longer be the coach? I doubt it.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:37 AM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by I OWN THIS
Roy should stay with Kansas, I think he takes a step down if he goes to UNC.
i agree. Roy has a winning team at Kansas that is now in a national championship game. perhaps this has some sentimental value but reallty Kansas is a basketball powerhouse too. i think Roy could turn the Tar Heels around but co'mon leaving Kansas for a pitiful team now led by sophmores
Old 04-07-2003, 03:29 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I don't think UNC would be a step down for Roy Williams. UNC's place in the history and mythology of college basketball is something Kansas can only dream of attaining.

On the other hand, Kansas is a lot less pressure-packed. He's brought them to the brink of a national title, and is already well-loved. If he were to go to UNC, the pressure to win the ACC in year two would be huge, and failing to do so might be bring the boo-birds out en masse. Who wants to suffer through that crap.

The thing with Dougherty was that he did seem to be winning. He had an incredibly successful and super-young team early on. They stumbled a bit, suffered through the ACC schedule, but still managed a decent year. I think he got the short end of the stick, which anyone post-Dean Smith was likely to get till they won a title anyway...

Dave
Old 04-07-2003, 04:42 PM   #14
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
I don't think UNC would be a step down for Roy Williams. UNC's place in the history and mythology of college basketball is something Kansas can only dream of attaining.
Easy now. James Naismith, Adolpf Rupp, Dean Smith, Wilt Chamberlin, Phog Allen, Roy Williams, Larry Brown. All have either coached or played at KU. And if you can find a more electrifying arena to watch a basketball game than Allen Fieldhouse, I'd like to hear about it.
This isn't to say UNC doesn't have history and mythology, but to say Kansas can only dream of attaining the same level is probably a stretch.

Quote:
On the other hand, Kansas is a lot less pressure-packed. He's brought them to the brink of a national title, and is already well-loved.
You're probably right for now. But I remember a few years ago when Kansas had an "off" year with something like 25 wins and people started questioning whether Williams was the coach that could take them all the way.

It's easy to avoid pressure when you're averaging 28 wins a season over almost two decades. If he goes 14-16 two years in a row, I bet Kansas would be just as bad as UNC.

I really hope he doesn't, but if Coach Williams does jump ship for Carolina, I'd understand. His roots are there, his two children live in the area, he's getting older and Kansas isn't known for it's prep stars so recruiting is always a traveling adventure.

But like I said, as a KU fan, I sure would like to see him stay in Lawrence.
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:06 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

So you're a KU and St. Louis fan, Ryan? I didn't know you are a KU fan, but that's cool. I agree that UNC is superior to Kansas in terms of history and legacy, but Kansas is still probably top-five, along with UCLA and Kentucky.