Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 11-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Annie get your gun...NOW!

Fears of a Dem crackdown lead to boom in gun sales

MIDLOTHIAN, Va. When 10-year-old Austin Smith heard Barack Obama had been elected president, he had one question: Does this mean I won't get a new gun for Christmas?

That brought his mother, the camouflage-clad Rachel Smith, to Bob Moates Sports Shop on Thursday, where she was picking out that special 20-gauge shotgun one of at least five weapons she plans to buy before Obama takes office in January.

Like Smith, gun enthusiasts nationwide are stocking up on firearms out of fears that the combination of an Obama administration and a Democrat-dominated Congress will result in tough new gun laws.

"I think they're going to really try to crack down on guns and make it harder for people to try to purchase them," said Smith, 32, who taught all five of her children ages 4 to 10 to shoot because the family relies on game for food.

Last month, as an Obama win looked increasingly inevitable, there were more than 108,000 more background checks for gun purchases than in October 2007, a 15 percent increase. And they were up about 8 percent for the year as of Oct. 26, according to the FBI.

No data was available for gun purchases this week, but gun shops from suburban Virginia to the Rockies report record sales since Tuesday's election.

"They're scared to death of losing their rights," said David Hancock, manager of Bob Moates, where sales have nearly doubled in the past week and are up 15 percent for the year. On Election Day, salespeople were called in on their day off because of the crowd

Franklin Gun Shop outside Nashville, Tenn., sold more than 70 guns on Tuesday, making it the biggest sales day since the shop opened eight years ago. Guns & Gear in Cheyenne, Wyo., also set a one-day sales record on Tuesday, only to break that mark on Wednesday.

Stewart Wallin, owner of Get Some Guns in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray, Utah, said he sold nine assault weapons the day after Obama was elected. That same day, the gun store Cheaper Than Dirt! in Fort Worth, Texas, sold $101,000 worth of merchandise, shattering its single-day sales record, store owner DeWayne Irwin said.

One Georgia gun shop advertised an "Obama sale" on an outdoor sign, but the owner took it down after people complained that the shop appeared to be issuing a call to violence against the country's first black leader.

Dena Potter
YAHOO! News
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/...bama_gun_sales

Fearful of losing your right to own a gun or nonsense?

Enjoy.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Got me some bullets yesterdee.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Complete nonsense.

Liberals have, for the most part, given up this battle.

Who the hell is giving their 10 year old kids guns for Christmas? Yeah, sounds like the Christ-like thing to do...

Who would Jesus shoot?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Complete nonsense.

Liberals have, for the most part, given up this battle.

Who the hell is giving their 10 year old kids guns for Christmas? Yeah, sounds like the Christ-like thing to do...

Who would Jesus shoot?

Read the article...

The family relies on game for food. What's Jesus got to do with it?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

Read the article...

The family relies on game for food. What's Jesus got to do with it?
Christmas - the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry, I might be crazy, but if a kid can't even get into a PG-13 movie, maybe he shouldn't be carrying around a deadly weapon.

Think Fresh.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Sorry, CK, but that really isn't your choice at all. As long as the kid isn't shooting human beings with his present, I really couldn't give a damn.

Nonetheless, I have to give you big props for the Winston Churchill quote in the signature...welcome to the dark side my friend.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Christmas - the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry, I might be crazy, but if a kid can't even get into a PG-13 movie, maybe he shouldn't be carrying around a deadly weapon.

Of course I know about the tie-in about Christmas & Jesus.

That still doesn't have anything to do with teaching a child from a family that lives off of hunting game for food as opposed to people that hunt game in their local grocery store.

2 different worlds & mentalities. Families that hunt food for living aren't just casually walking around with "deadly weapons". They use them responsibly, for the most part, as a means of survival.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
Sorry, CK, but that really isn't your choice at all. As long as the kid isn't shooting human beings with his present, I really couldn't give a damn.

Nonetheless, I have to give you big props for the Winston Churchill quote in the signature...welcome to the dark side my friend.
No doubt Ricky, it's not my choice. I'm not suggesting it should be illegal, but I still think it is retarded. Still, if that kid kills anybody, on purpose or by accident, the parents should be convicted of man slaughter.

As for Churchill, I can get down with old school conservatives. You know, before they viewed being an intellectual as a bad thing. :thumbup:

EDIT:

Quote:

Of course I know about the tie-in about Christmas & Jesus.

That still doesn't have anything to do with teaching a child from a family that lives off of hunting game for food as opposed to people that hunt game in their local grocery store.

2 different worlds & mentalities. Families that hunt food for living aren't just casually walking around with "deadly weapons". They use them responsibly, for the most part, as a means of survival.
Perhaps, but I still think it is irresponsible. Just my opinion.

No guns before puberty - that would be my rule.

Think Fresh.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I do think the people here are probably wrong in being worried, though. As CK said, this battle is over.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
themush
Banned

Fresh you ain't winning this one with me.

It's not like these mothers and fathers are buying little Johnny an assault rife. It typically starts with a .22 rifle then as the MATURE in both age and resposability a shotgun comes in to play.

Can't take away something as American as hunting. What's next no dynamite fishing?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
No doubt Ricky, it's not my choice. I'm not suggesting it should be illegal, but I still think it is retarded. Still, if that kid kills anybody, on purpose or by accident, the parents should be convicted of man slaughter.

As for Churchill, I can get down with old school conservatives. You know, before they viewed being an intellectual as a bad thing. :thumbup:

EDIT:

Perhaps, but I still think it is irresponsible. Just my opinion.

No guns before puberty - that would be my rule.

Another decision based on your experience.

If you ever really learn about that different way of life where as an example, even a 10 year old, who has been responsibly trained, can shoot a rabbit for the family dinner that night, you'll be living with eyes/mind wide open...

I know it's hard to envision when you're used to relying on stealth in overpowering canned corn in the aisles & wrestling a package of hot dogs to the ground from the deli case.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
What's next no dynamite fishing?
That one would hit close to home, ehh mush?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Fresh you ain't winning this one with me.

It's not like these mothers and fathers are buying little Johnny an assault rife. It typically starts with a .22 rifle then as the MATURE in both age and resposability a shotgun comes in to play.

Can't take away something as American as hunting. What's next no dynamite fishing?
I'm not trying to take it away Mushman. I agree that it should be legal.

As for dynamite fishing... please tell me more.

Quote:

Another decision based on your experience.

If you ever really learn about that different way of life where as an example, even a 10 year old, who has been responsibly trained, can shoot a rabbit for the family dinner that night, you'll be living with eyes/mind wide open...

I know it's hard to envision when you're used to relying on stealth in overpowering canned corn in the aisles & wrestling a package of hot dogs to the ground from the deli case.
Again Tark, I'm not telling anyone else how to live. I'm not suggesting any laws. I'm giving my opinion.

I have no doubt that a 10 year old can own and use a gun responsibly. But I also know that the likelihood of an accident is much higher with a child who is still developing.

To be clear, I'm not telling anyone how to live, I'm just giving my opinion. I also think it is stupid to let kids eat McDonalds everyday, but I don't think it should be illegal.

Think Fresh.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
themush
Banned

Light stick of dynamite, throw in water....

Pick up dead fish...

Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

LOL. That's no fun...

Explosives - fun.
Fishing - fun.
Explosives and fishing together - cheating

Think Fresh.