Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: If Shaq isn't in the finals
Everyone will still be watching 1 20.00%
Only die-hards will watch, but no casual fans 4 80.00%
No one will watch 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default Is Shaq the only guy who can pull ratings?

Check out this article from a new tv webzine about how Shaq is the only hope the NBA has for playoff ratings.

Really, if Miami doesn't at least make the finals, will anyone care to watch them? Personally, I picked a San Antonio v. Detroit final. If that happens, though, it would be a tough series to sit through.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I think Phoenix would be a big draw, even if they haven't been in the first round-- exciting style of play and underdog status (despite top record) would be compelling. Heat is definitely the biggest draw though
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I really think Phoenix - even though they had the best record - still suffer from a lack of national exposure. I'm sure that will change as they advance through the playoffs, but I've lost count of how many times I'll be watching ESPN or TNT and the analyst will just kind of dismiss Phoenix as this fun style that has no chance of winning in the playoffs. I mean, way to cut the legs off the most exciting team in the league.

A Heat/Suns final would be awesome to watch. But again, if it's anyone other than Miami out east, will anyone watch?
Sports Again?!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Unless it's Phoenix/Miami, I won't be watching. Watching an NBA game live is a tremendous experience but watching on TV bores me to tears these days. I've said it several times on here and I'll say it again- the NBA needs another renaissance. Perhaps Stern's age limit and minor league proposal will be a step forward. The game has become a decimated version of what it was 8-10 years ago when I became a fan. When I was at the Magic/Heat game about two weeks ago, the shooting was absolutely atrocious. Even a top notch player like Steve Francis struggled to hit shots, or even take quality shots for that matter. While this was a blow off game for both teams, it seemed that shots would be launched from anywhere on the floor, no matter how bad the look. Jameer Nelson is developing into a very good NBA PG and was the one player who consistently took quality shots from behind the arc during the aforementioned game.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

That's a good question. I think Shaq and his Heat are by far the biggest draw this year, and the Heat in the Finals would give Stern his best ratings.

So I would agree that probably only the die-hard b-ball fans will watch if Miami is out, and even less if Phoenix is out.

Which kind of makes you wonder how many $$ exactly that would translate into for Stern, and then one might also wonder how exactly he could affect the outcome?
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

If the Suns are in it against someone like the Pistons, I will be content. It's time everyone on the national stage gets exposed to the up-tempo, young Suns, so I'm pulling for them.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

If Miami and the heat are playing, I'll watch every game because it will go down to the wire and be a very long 7 game series. If the Miami heat make it and the Suns don't or vice versa, I'll just look up the game update and maybe watch the last 5 minutes of every game. If it's a completly boring series like the Sonics and Pistons, I will just watch the last 2 minutes of the deciding game.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know if I'd call a Sonics/Pistons series boring, but that's coming from a diehard, I'm biased...

Neither of those teams has a household/marquee name like Shaq or LeBron, but remember how rugged the Pistons are? (Pistons/Pacers anyone?)
Seattle also has some bruisers inside, and SuperNinja Assassin Ray Allen on the outside shooting his way into a big contract next year

Does anyone really see any team other than Phoenix or San Antonio coming out of the West? I'm hoping for Houston, but that's a long shot.

Although from a ratings standpoint, an NBA Finals featuring Shaq vs. Yao and T-Mac vs. Wade would probably be the best ratings grabber, IMO.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
I don't know if I'd call a Sonics/Pistons series boring, but that's coming from a diehard, I'm biased...

Neither of those teams has a household/marquee name like Shaq or LeBron, but remember how rugged the Pistons are? (Pistons/Pacers anyone?)
Seattle also has some bruisers inside, and SuperNinja Assassin Ray Allen on the outside shooting his way into a big contract next year

Does anyone really see any team other than Phoenix or San Antonio coming out of the West? I'm hoping for Houston, but that's a long shot.

Although from a ratings standpoint, an NBA Finals featuring Shaq vs. Yao and T-Mac vs. Wade would probably be the best ratings grabber, IMO.

ME ME! Oh, the Rockets were robbed on that last possession!

Having Yao would be a big international draw - in China, a big market...and I don't know what things are like in Argentina, but Ginobilli if the Spurs advance? It could really help it spread to other countries - which NBA is probably the most watched sport globally in terms of everywhere.
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

If anyone cares the Rockets/Mavs was the only series to place in the top 20 for Cable TV last week doing so twice. Goes to show that people will watch if the matchup is exciting enough.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #11
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Case in point there Doublee! Thanks for the data to back that up...

From a ratings perspective, and even a die-hard perspective (mine), people like to see superstars being... well... super.

People want to watch the huge Chinese guy out there who might be the next Shaq..... and they also remember the NBA's leading scorer (last year) who is almost as fun to watch as a Kobe Bryant or a Michael Jordan and I only say almost because he has yet to come up BIG and win in the playoffs.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #12
Hall of Famer

Hey doublee, where'd you find that stat? I'd be really curious to see what the ratings look like for this post season.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #13
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

So the only series left are Dallas/Houston, Boston/Indiana, Chicago/Washington.

It will be a *TOTAL* fiasco if the Rockets don't win. Hang on to the balls, guys. For all the refs care, a guy could fly down from the rafters and snatch it from you...and it won't be called.

OH MAN! That Chicago finish - only dampered by Arena's GW FG as time expired. Heartbreaker. But I this one will also go in seven.

I cannot predict Bos/Ind. Whichever team doesn't lay the most eggs and COLLAPSE (literally, from the way the series swings) on the court.
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by #99
Hey doublee, where'd you find that stat? I'd be really curious to see what the ratings look like for this post season.
I just happened to notice it when I was perusing the USA Today's Life section yesterday. They post the weekly broadcast ratings as well as the top 20 cable TV shows for the previous week. I am sure if someone poked around enough on the 'Net they could find more comprehensive ratings for the playoffs as a whole.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:01 AM   #15
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I think the Finals should be interesting no matter who makes it and this is one year where I actually wouldn't mind watching. I was kind of hoping for a Detroit-San Antonio series, but I will admit, that would be a lot of games in the 70s and 80s, and a lot of defense.

I think the NBA Finals have declined overall since Jordan hit that shot that beat Utah in 1998...but that's just my opinion. Jordan seemed to bring a sense of excitement to the Finals that brought everyone in to watch, whether you liked or hated him.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote