Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default College football rule changes.

What are they thinking? The game is great the way it is, why change it? So now we want to make things better by shortening it? They end too soon already IMO.

Idiots
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The TV execs wanted it. TV = more dollars lining the pockets of the big wigs. Enough said.

The excessive crowd noise rule was bogus. I've only heard of it being called once. '93 Michigan at Penn State. Boy are the Wolverines going to be in for a surprise if they thought Beaver Stadium was loud in '93.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I seem to remember a game between Auburn and LSU where people in the crowd blew whistles before the play ended. And one of the teams got screwed by it???
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
The TV execs wanted it. TV = more dollars lining the pockets of the big wigs. Enough said.

The excessive crowd noise rule was bogus. I've only heard of it being called once. '93 Michigan at Penn State. Boy are the Wolverines going to be in for a surprise if they thought Beaver Stadium was loud in '93.
The almighty dollar once agin deciding what happens to the sport, rather than what is best for it. Ugh.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

It's always the almighty dollar.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Games should be around three hours, these rules are just ensuring they are. I think anything longer is excessive. I don't really see anything to object to here. And what does shortening games have to do with the almighty dollar? If anything, it's the opposite since games are shorter.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

They can get in more TV programming, I think.

I dunno Marc. For me, the more the better. I can see cutting away dead periods, but this will be cutting into time that is used to call plays. I think I saw this mentioned in another thread, but during the replay time, instead of watching the replay over and over on TV, cut to commercial. Get your TV commercials in, then you have less TV timeouts to worry about.

Just my opinion though.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Games should be around three hours, these rules are just ensuring they are. I think anything longer is excessive. I don't really see anything to object to here. And what does shortening games have to do with the almighty dollar? If anything, it's the opposite since games are shorter.
It has to do with money because they are trying to attract more casual fans....casual fans whine that the games are too long, so they they try to shorten them. There's no profitibality in catering to the hardcore fan.

Another way this has to do with money, at least indirectly...this rule will definitely result in fewer plays. Do you think it will result in fewer commercials? Absolutely, positively, not.

Next: Ten minute quarters, then eight, then mandatory passes of 30 yards or more on every down, then music played during the plays, then a circle of ice around the field so that figure skaters can keep the female viewers entertained, then a player "voted off" at the end of each quarter, (each player will give a "confessional" after each play so that we get to know them and who to vote off). Attracting the casual fan of football won't be enough...next, the non-fan. Get as many people as possible to watch so as many people as possible see the 800 commercials, buy the products, so that the advertisers give us, the networks, more money.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

It seems they are trying to shorten games up in all sports. This is so stupid to me. If I go to a game or want to watch one on tv it is because I enjoy it. They act like people are sitting there saying "oh man, I can't watch this much longer". "I payed all this money to go to this game so I wish they would hurry up and get it over with because it is making me so miserable". I like long games, I enjoy the sport and enjoy being at or watching them on tv.

With college football especially, I really love this sport because of the atmosphere and traditions. Hearing the marching bands and watching all the great things about college football go on is one of the things that make it so great. IMO. The longer the better.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Exactly. I am sure fans aren't gonna tune out b/c the game is running to long, unless it is a 42-0 blowout. If that's the case,it won't matter what the score is anyway.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default This new clock rule...

...where the clock starts after a change of position is absolutely dreadful.

Does it make sense on ANY level? Why are they doing it? Why add something that has the potential to absolutely KILL the end of a game with no upside? This is the weirdest thing. It's like something the NHL would do.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote