Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road
Default Best Future Rookie

It has been early, but which rookie this year do you think will be the best?

Promising rookies
Chris Paul- Great numbers, one of the most promising point guards since Kidd.
Cons... Typical rookie stuff. Size could be an issue, but I don't think so.

Frye-Good scorer, very mature.
Cons...Average rebounder, not a great athlete, not a swatter.

Bogut-Very promising center. Versitle.
Cons... Defense will always be an issue. More athletic than given credit, but still slow laterally.

Charlie Villanueva-Surprsing player. Always had the talent, never had the heart but showing some of the offensive ability.
Cons...Defensively, not that great in the NBA.

Looking like Busts
Martell Webster-Never had the NBA athletism, was always "built" for his age and was a solid shooter. Slow laterally. Still young though.

Marvin Williams-Hasn't shown much but hasn't given the chance. Has the most talent in this draft, IMO.

Fran Vazquez-I know, shouldn't count. But couldn't help it.

Gerald Green-Hasn't played much. And at 19, compared to the others coming out of high school, doesn't have the skill set. Not a great shooter by any means, can't create with dribbling.

How it will turn out...

I think in the end, Paul will be the best. Seems like a solid player already with potential still. Then, Bogut. I like his ability in the post(can beat you scoring or passing). Then lastly, Marvin Williams. With maybe Harrington gone and Josh Smith moved to power foward, he would get a chance to play. He has a complete game in sense that he can score, defend, post up, and has a 7'2ish wingspan with a 36'-38' inch vert.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

Frye seems like the real deal. i mean isiah not wantiing to try to trade him for artest or kg shows that he has a lot of hope in him
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

I think it is McHale and Walsh not wanting to trade KG or Artest for Frye, not the other way around. I don't think Thomas really knows about his players talent and potential. The fact that Frye only gets 6 rebounds scare me.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Two others not mentioned are Deron Williams and Danny Granger.

Playing for Utah, who makes national TV about once a year, Williams is flying way under the radar. And I know his numbers aren't great, 12 and 5, but from the games I've seen him play, he just seems like he's in control of the offense and the team. That's big from a rookie who just began starting about a month ago and I really like the way he runs the offense and makes the right pass. And since proper ball reversal or a heads up skip pass aren't making Sportscenter, I don't think he's getting nearly enough credit. These things don't always get you assists, but they lead to buckets and good team ball. His shooting is off so far this year too, and he was always a little streaky at Illinois, but that will only improve and after seeing what he did to Arizona in the Tournament last year, I'll never question his ability to make the big shot late in the game.

Granger is a flat out scorer. He's been getting extra minutes since Ron Ron got himself benched and been looking pretty good. He can definetely score in this league with his ability to get to the hoop and three-point range. And I think he'd be doing even better on a lesser team where more scoring was needed. He looks a little hesitant to take shots from JO, Jackson, Tinsley or Sarunas on this Pacer team. Once he gets more comfortable and is looked at to score more often, I think we're gonna see some really good things. The only question is his defense, and he could use some extra time in the weight room during the offseason.

Last edited by JayRedd; 12-26-2005 at 05:40 PM.
JayRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRedd
Granger is a flat out scorer. He's been getting extra minutes since Ron Ron got himself benched and been looking pretty good. He can definetely score in this league with his ability to get to the hoop and three-point range. And I think he'd be doing even better on a lesser team where more scoring was needed. He looks a little hesitant to take shots from JO, Jackson, Tinsley or Sarunas on this Pacer team. Once he gets more comfortable and is looked at to score more often, I think we're gonna see some really good things. The only question is his defense, and he could use some extra time in the weight room during the offseason.
Actually, Granger was more known for his defense than his offense in college and in the preseason. I compare him to a role player Pippen player. Two way defender and playmaker/scorer.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Granger is versatile. I like his potential and think he could be a breakout player, especially with Artest likely on his way out.

I've been singing Frye's praises for awhile now, but even moreso since he went pro. He's 6'11" with a nice face-up game. He'll need to get more rebounds to be an All-Star in the future, but that will come with time. He's averagine 6 a game as it is. As far as the trade rumors, I read where Isiah Thomas said everyone on the team is on the trading block, except the three rookies (Frye, Nate Robinson, David Lee) and Trevor Ariza.

And Chris Paul, well...he's already a star IMO. He's got offensive skills to spare, and showed up Nash two weeks ago.

Deron Williams is definitely going to be special. He's built like a fullback and plays great defense.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Quote:
Granger is versatile. I like his potential and think he could be a breakout player, especially with Artest likely on his way out.
Agreed. He is strong, has solid length, and is very versitle. Only concern is he is a role player type guy with 2nd option talent, and was injury prone.

Quote:
I've been singing Frye's praises for awhile now, but even moreso since he went pro. He's 6'11" with a nice face-up game. He'll need to get more rebounds to be an All-Star in the future, but that will come with time. He's averagine 6 a game as it is. As far as the trade rumors, I read where Isiah Thomas said everyone on the team is on the trading block, except the three rookies (Frye, Nate Robinson, David Lee) and Trevor Ariza.
I like Frye but one thing I don't like is his defense and rebounding. Great defenders have the tools to be great defender(i.e wingspan, standing reach, lateral quickness, etc.) and Frye doesn't have those. He is quick, but not laterally great.

He can be an AllStar and a very good 2nd/3rd option but not a star. Rebounding wise, he isn't strong enough or athletic enough to be a great rebounder. Guys like Nene, Amare, or even Yao have trouble boxing out. More specifically, forgetting to and using their height/length or athletism. 6 rebounds and

Quote:
And Chris Paul, well...he's already a star IMO. He's got offensive skills to spare, and showed up Nash two weeks ago.
True, he is the one player that already contributes and still has potential.

Quote:
Deron Williams is definitely going to be special. He's built like a fullback and plays great defense.
Love Deron's offense. Not to impressed with his defense. Reminds me of a poor mans Chauncey on defense. Very solid in terms of knowing angles and using strength, but he will have trouble in the playoffs. Utah is very point guard friendly, especially with Kirilenko healthy being a shot swatter.

Couple of other players I like...

Andrew Bynum-7'2 height(reportedly) with a guesstimated 7'7 wingspan.(Was 7' and had a 7'5-7'6 wingspan) and very good shotblocker. Had a couple of 2 shot block games in less than 20 minutes. Played his best game against Duncan. Tremendous potential and defensive talent and his offensive game is improving. His shot has more arch.

Hakim Warrick-Excellent athlete(41' vert) and has a 7'3 wingspan to go along with it to be an excellent defender and potentially shotblocker/rebounder. Offensive game is still raw but has great defensive intensity and potential. Him and Battier will be great off the bench.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Interesting you brought this up, as we just posted an article evaluating the rookie class: https://www.sports-central.org/sports..._moneyback.php
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Paul is the best of the class thus far.

I think it is bit early to start speculating that guys are busts 25 games into their careers. Especially a guy like Webster who is fresh out of high school and Marvin Williams who is only a year removed from high school. Kobe didn't exactly light up the league his rookie year.

Webster's main problem is he has to compete with Miles and Ruben Patterson for playing time and Williams is stuck in the forward quagmire in Atlanta.

Push will come to shove in NY if Curry or Frye don't step up the rebounding effort.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

A guy like Webster may have to compete with Miles, but unlike Kobe he didn't have the talent or athletism. The guy doesn't even have the athletism or talent of a JR Smith yet. Webster was noted for his mature body and was the most NBA ready guard out of high school.

Same goes with Green, incredible athlete. But compared to last years crop of shooting guards(Wright, Smith and Smith), his skill level is far off. Star players like Kobe and McGrady at least came out of high school having the skill level, but needed honing.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:20 AM   #11
yonglo32
go seahawks

yonglo32 is on a distinguished road

paul's great.....but he'll never win a title in new orleans. webster is overrated. deron williams is a great point guard, but i dont think hed ever match up to john stockton in utah. channing frye is way special. one team that has great potential are the bulls. check out the youngsters in chi-ttwon. hinrich. ben gordon. luol deng. chris duhon (a steal in the second round). nocioni.pargo. wizards got great stuff too. and u gotta include new york there. theyll suck for teh next few years but with frye, nate robinson, and eddy curry, theyll have some potenioal
NFL: Seattle Seahawks
MLB: Chicago Cubs
yonglo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #12
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Everybody loves Channing, and with good reason, but I think the best of the young'ns on this Knick squad will be Ariza. Tremendous athlete who has shown he can score in a lot of different ways. He's been playing the best defense of any NYK guard under Larry Brown and is high-light reel material in the open court. He does need to work on his outside jumper if he's going to make the next step though.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Ike Diogu has been coming on strong lately scoring 51 in his last three games on 23 of 29 shooting.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 AM   #14
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

The Knicks have a lot of promising rookies right now, but none of them have enough experience to single-handedly bring the Knicks to the top yet. Just give it a few seasons.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Ike Diogu has been coming on strong lately scoring 51 in his last three games on 23 of 29 shooting.
Oh yeah. I had the pleasure of watching Diogu many times when he was at Arizona State, and had he been part of a better program, I don't doubt he would have been the most publicized player in the NCAA last year. I'm glad he ended up in Golden State with Mike Montgomery, a coach who knows his talents and strengths.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote