Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 10-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Blogs- The Biggest Waste Of Space

I'm sorry. I know that we have an 'SC All-Star' blog floating around on here and we also have a number of other bloggers. But seriously, who reads this stuff? Who wants to read about how you tripped and fell down the stairs yesterday? Who wants to read about how you think that the Chicago Bears might be the best team in the NFL?

Look at it this way... there are 280 million people in America and there are 500 million blogs. The problem is that while you are waiting for some one to read your blog, all of the other people in America are writing in their own blog, who will soon be waiting for you to read their blog.

Some blogs are big (and by big I mean that 10-20 people read them on a given week.) The problem is that the other 490 million blogs get about two views per week.

It is simple supply and demand. The`supply is up and the demand is down.

My best advice to all of you bloggers is to spend the time you would use to blog and put it to something more constructive. Write a novel. Put together a 3D puzzle of the White House. Join a yoga class. Build a farm.

Blogs are lonely things. They sit there out in cyber space and wait for people to come to them. There are too many Eleanor Rigby blogs out there. Please, do us all a favor and take your blog out of misery and put it to rest.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

WTF is this? I don't like blogs and they are not very lucrative, so you should stop writing them?

Number one, I personally don't blog for fame. I like to write, and sometimes I like to write with no constraints, and blogs are a good release for that. I don't need to write for thousands of people for it to be gratifying. Just a small handful will do, and I have that.

Secondly, if the only point for writing blogs is to "meet demand," you probably have just as good of a shot at turning your blog into something that thousands/millions will read (there's plenty of such blogs in every category out there...some might even turn a small profit) as you would getting a novel published.

Thirdly, care to explain why your own webpage is not a "lonely thing?" Will you "do us all a favor and take your (website) out of misery" if it doesn't meet "demand?"

I dunno, I kind of almost feel like you wrote this to get a reaction.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
My best advice to all of you bloggers is to spend the time you would use to blog and put it to something more constructive... Put together a 3D puzzle of the White House...
There are some very informative news blogs; others are cries for self help. i find that one has to search among them to find a few good ones and read them over a few months to get the full value.

A "3D puzzle of White House"? Don't let the FBI hear of your plans....
Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
WTF is this? I don't like blogs and they are not very lucrative, so you should stop writing them?

Number one, I personally don't blog for fame. I like to write, and sometimes I like to write with no constraints, and blogs are a good release for that. I don't need to write for thousands of people for it to be gratifying. Just a small handful will do, and I have that.

Secondly, if the only point for writing blogs is to "meet demand," you probably have just as good of a shot at turning your blog into something that thousands/millions will read (there's plenty of such blogs in every category out there...some might even turn a small profit) as you would getting a novel published.

Thirdly, care to explain why your own webpage is not a "lonely thing?" Will you "do us all a favor and take your (website) out of misery" if it doesn't meet "demand?"

I dunno, I kind of almost feel like you wrote this to get a reaction.
hmm... ok.

-I never said that any one blogs for fame. That doesn't make any sense.
-All I am saying is that there are are a billion blogs. There is no way even 2/3rds of them ever get read.
-My site? Last week it 7,000 hits and it has it's own cult following.
- Wrote this to get a reaction... I wouldn't post anything on a message board if I didn't want to get some kind of reaction. That is what message boards are for.
- The chances of getting a novel published are slim too, but at least if it does get published you can make a big chunk of change.

I did not go after any specific blog. I just made a reference to yours, just to show that I knew we had bloggers on this site. All I wanted was to see bloggers defend why they use blogs because I don't see a point in one.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The chances of getting a novel published are slim too, but at least if it does get published you can make a big chunk of change.
But, I don't think most bloggers do it because they want to make a big chunk of change. I know with the blog I have, it's me and another guy. We're both in law school, so we don't really give a damn about making much in the way of change, big chunk or otherwise. We do it because, while it sounds ultra-simple, it's pretty applicable here, we want to. The point is to write about what interests us and mainly I do it as an escape from a lot of the work I have to do for law school.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
hmm... ok.

-I never said that any one blogs for fame. That doesn't make any sense.
-All I am saying is that there are are a billion blogs. There is no way even 2/3rds of them ever get read.
-My site? Last week it 7,000 hits and it has it's own cult following.
- Wrote this to get a reaction... I wouldn't post anything on a message board if I didn't want to get some kind of reaction. That is what message boards are for.
- The chances of getting a novel published are slim too, but at least if it does get published you can make a big chunk of change.

I did not go after any specific blog. I just made a reference to yours, just to show that I knew we had bloggers on this site. All I wanted was to see bloggers defend why they use blogs because I don't see a point in one.
I will assume that more than 2/3 of novel manuscripts never see the light of day.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

What makes the pointless and incoherent ramblings that we post on this message board on a daily basis any different from that of a blog?

Shouldn't Ellis heed his own advice and take the time that he spends posting on this website and put it to something more constructive?
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
What makes the pointless and incoherent ramblings that we post on this message board on a daily basis any different from that of a blog?

Shouldn't Ellis heed his own advice and take the time that he spends posting on this website and put it to something more constructive?
The difference is that when posting on here, you get responses from other people and you get to know other people. It is more of a chat room, than an online journal.

Now, I know that blogs usually have those little comment things on the bottom, but I hardly ever see a blog with more than one comment.

And to answer your second question, you think that I write these posts? I pay a guy to write and post them for me.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Another reasons blogs exist are to provide an alternative media. Take Deadspin, for example, which just got banned from being used as a media source by ESPN. Why? Because Deadspin reports on news that ESPN has a tendency to filter to protect its namesake (re: Harold Reynolds firing, failure of ESPN Mobile).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
But, I don't think most bloggers do it because they want to make a big chunk of change.
You missed the point of what I said. I said that as an added bonus of writing a novel, at least you can make a good amount of money from it.

You are probably thinking 'well if it is such I good idea why don't you do it?' Well I do. I am working on my new book, titled "Little Ellis Learns To Share."

Ken, yes some blogs have some news stories. But I am talking about the99.7% of blogs that are personal blogs or blogs that 2 people read each week.

Last edited by Ellis; 10-16-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You missed the point of what I said. I sait that as an added bonus of writing a novel, at least you can make a good amount of money from it.

You are probably thinking 'well if it is such I good idea why don't you do it?' Well I do. I am working on my new book, titled "Little Ellis Learns To Share."

Ken, yes some blogs have some news stories. But I am talking about the99.7% of blogs that are personal blogs or blogs that 2 people read each week.
When was the last time I fawned over Ellis? Hell...I don't care. Completely agree on this one. And when everyone disagrees with you on something Ellis...you know you're on to something. I'm sure you already know that though.

You're a diamond in the rough my young friend...a diamond in the rough. :thumbup:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
When was the last time I fawned over Ellis? Hell...I don't care. Completely agree on this one. And when everyone disagrees with you on something Ellis...you know you're on to something. I'm sure you already know that though.

You're a diamond in the rough my young friend...a diamond in the rough. :thumbup:
You know how I said that I pay a guy to write my posts? Well I also pay buckeye to complement them.

Don't worry buckeye, I know it is a few days late, but my monthly check for $200 is on its way
Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
You missed the point of what I said. I sait that as an added bonus of writing a novel, at least you can make a good amount of money from it.

Not caring about an added bonus of making a good amount of money is different from missing the point of what you said. As someone who has attempted to write a novel and blogs, I personally like the blogging I've done a lot more than the novel writing. I admittedly only attempted the novel thing to challenge myself and for practice and knew from the start I likely wouldn't try to sell it, and the blog format I have a ton of fun with. I know that plays into things, but I don't need to do something where the bonus is that I might make money from it. I'm going to do what I have more fun with and that I feel more fufilled with. I just don't see the "added bonus" as something relevant in choosing a format.

As for the comments feature to posts, I think that is more of a traffic thing rather than a flaw in the blog format. Clearly certain blogs get more traffic than others.

And if you're talking about the 99.7% of blogs that are personal or blogs read by 2 people each week, why mention 'SC All-Star' blog in your opening post?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 AM   #14
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ok... from now on I will never use any sarcasm at all when I post something serious. (Is that a contradiction? Is this a contradiction?)

I used writing a novel as an example of something you can do with your time that would have been spent blogging. I didn't intend for this thread to turn into a break down of the pros and cons of blogging and writing a novel. I also mentioned building a 3d puzzle of the White House. (They actually look pretty cool. I put one of those things together when I was in Middle School. The problem though is that they aren't nice enough to display in the house. You have to just take it back apart and shove it in a box when you are done.) Also during this time you could run, which could lead you to great health. One day while you are running, Dan Rooney might drive by you and find himself impressed by how fast you are. He will then ask you to come to the Steelers mini-camp and before you know it you are the starting flanker for the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Don't worry if you aren't that good at receiving because you will fit right in with the Steelers receivers.)

Why did I mention the All-Star blog? Because I file it with the 99.7% that don't have news that is not covered by main news networks and it doesn't get a million hits like blogmaverick. But I don't want to turn this into an attack on that blog, which maybe this thread came off as in my first post. It was not intended for that reason. I wrote this after seeing numerous blog links in AIM profiles. (No, I don't use AIM either. I go on maybe once a month just out of curiosity.)
Old 10-17-2006, 01:59 AM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

But, I mean, I think building a 3d puzzle of the white house is a waste of time. I wouldn't tell someone that and it's only a waste of time to me to do personally. But, I completely understand the enjoyment that people get out of putting together a puzzle. I think blogging is just like any other hobby.