Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-20-2005, 03:29 AM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default USC 50, Fresno State 42.

WOW, what a game....if you missed it, you missed a treat.

USC at home, against a WAC School, Reggie Bush gets 513 all-purpose yards (that's not a typo), the Trojans win the turnover battle 5-1, and they still only won by a single possession....which wasn't iced until Fresno State threw a pick from inside the Trojan 35 with 1:30 to go.

It was like watching the football version of a Rocky movie. It was painfully obvious USC was the more talented team, but Fresno State had been waiting for a chance to prove themselves in this game for a long, long time, and they will be damned if they're gonna be put away. They fought and fought and fought. It was one of those games where you had no opinion of one of the combatants going in, and emerge as a fan. Go Bulldogs. Pat Hill's gonna be only a lot of major school shortlists looking for a head coach next year.

Quite an emotional, physical game too....lots of personal fouls called, mostly against USC. Fresno had them flustered.

And not to brag, but.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
Minnesota
Virginia
Vanderbilt
Washington State
Auburn
Penn State
Cal
Miami
USC (It'll be close, though).
Ohio State (45)

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:13 AM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Yep, great game. Big props to Pat Hill for getting Fresno State ready for this game. There were a couple times in the second half when the Bulldogs could've quit, and most teams would've. But Fresno State isn't most teams.

That's a great point you make about major schools going after coach Hill. If I were a program like Kentucky or Syracuse, I'd load a couple U-Hauls full of cash and send them to the coach's house.

Btw Kev, how'd you get to see the game? I thought the game was shown only locally.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Fox Sports Net aired it Nationally.

Fun game, not exactly a good game in that both defenses were ridiculously bad, but fun.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I think just again proves that Vince Young and the Texas crew are gonna pick apart the USC defense.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
I think just again proves that Vince Young and the Texas crew are gonna pick apart the USC defense.
I completely agree. I think that if Penn State or LSU squeaks into the game as well, they will beat USC. Fresno State exposed the USC defense worse than most could have imagined. We all know that USC is horrible defensively but I didn't think they would end up surrendering 42.

UCLA has a great shot at beating USC now that Fresno State has shaken the foundation a bit. I wouldn't pick them to do it, but the Bruins came extremely close last season and this year's team is much more talented than the 2004 Bruins. Drew Olsen and Maurice Drew will be able to run and pass on the Trojans all day.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I completely agree. I think that if Penn State or LSU squeaks into the game as well, they will beat USC.
Up until yesterday I felt that if PSU snuck into the National Title game with Miami and USC losses, that it would be undeserving and that they would get their heads knocked off. However, I'm pretty sure now that they can play with anyone. That USC defense just has not come around and I don't think they're going to become a good defense overnight. PSUs defense can certainly hold USC to the 20s and their offense can certainly score that many on them.

Every time I see USC in highlights, they look like the best team in the land, every time I watch an entire game, they don't. It's been this crazy cycle this season where I watch the game, don't think they're drop dead amazing, then by Monday morning am convinced they are. It's weird.

They have a bunch of flaws, probably more flaws than anyone in the Top 5.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Completely agreed. This team is waiting to get beat. If they played in any other conference in America (including the WAC apparently) it is likely they would at least have one loss. If they played in the SEC or Big Ten I think they would have two.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think that was the kind of game Reggie Bush needed to win the Heisman. There is no doubt he is the top player in the country. If he wins it, I think he's definitely a goner, unlike Leinart who stayed in his senior season. You have to give credit to USC, though, for taking their opponents' best shot week after week and still prevailing. From the ND game to this one, they find a way to win.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
You have to give credit to USC, though, for taking their opponents' best shot week after week and still prevailing.
Let's go give them a glass of milk and cookies, too.

Come on, let's not coddle USC. That's the problem with the Trojans these days. They are a really good football team, but people need to view them realistically instead of having one set of standards for everyone and another set of standards for USC.

This is what I was trying to get at a couple weeks ago in saying that if there was West Coast bias, it is definitely in favor of those schools these days. This line that Marc said is completely indicative of it. News flash, everyone in the Top 10 takes their opponents bast shot week after week and take MORE shots.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be in the National Title game as an undefeated team against a one loss LSU or Penn State, but I agree with Ricky's take that they would have a loss somewhere along the way with the team that they put out on the field.

You can't just ignore their flaws because they're undefeated if you want to have a discussion about how good a team is.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken

That's a great point you make about major schools going after coach Hill. If I were a program like Kentucky or Syracuse, I'd load a couple U-Hauls full of cash and send them to the coach's house.
Syracuse is in its first season with a new coach I doubt they are going to move that quickly and fire Greg Robinson after only one season. But, how about maybe Kansas State? Snyder announced this week he is stepping down.

While Texas may be able to pick apart USC's defense they will still have to stop USC's offense and nobody has been able to do so yet this year.

I agree this is probably the game that wins Bush the Heisman.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
UCLA has a great shot at beating USC now that Fresno State has shaken the foundation a bit.
I really don't see UCLA putting up much of a fight against USC.

I've watched about half of UCLA's games this year, and their run defense is atrocious. Yes, they've played against some of the best RBs in the country (Washington St., California, Oklahoma), but how can you give up 315 rushing to Arizona? 213 to Washington at home?

Contrast that with Fresno State:
Rushing Defense (games, attempts, yards, average, TDs, per game)
43. Fresno St. 10 332 1353 4.08 12 135.3
114. UCLA 10 437 2195 5.02 23 219.5

And we all saw how well the Bulldogs defended the run...

The only way UCLA wins against USC is if the offense plays out of its mind, which is certainly possible. Drew Olsen has been one of the best QBs in the country this year and has plenty of weapons to throw to (TE Mercedes Lewis, WR Joe Cowan and RB Maurice Drew). And that USC pass defense isn't that good:

Passing Defense (games, attempts, yards, % complete, average, TDs, per game)
77. Southern California 11 380 226 59.47 11.42 17 234.73

Most people probably expect Drew to tear through the USC defense. But the Trojan rushing defense has been fairly good all season, doing a decent job of containing the running games of Washington St. (#16), California (#10). Regardless, Drew should at least get 150 on the ground.

Rushing Defense (games, attempts, yards, average, TDs, per game)
24. Southern California 11 375 1279 3.41 11 116.3

I don't think the punts will play that much of a role in the game, since I expect both teams to go for it on 4th down quite frequently. Of course, the more punts there are in the game the more it favors UCLA, since Drew is one of the nation's elite in kickoff and punt returns. And USC is atrocious on special teams across the board. Expect the Bruins to get good field position after kickoffs.

But ultimately it'll come down to which offense can score the most against each other's defense.

Total Offense (games, attempts, yards, average, TDs, per game)
1. Southern California 11 829 6284 7.58 73 571.27
17. UCLA 10 686 4444 6.48 53 444.40
27. Fresno St. 10 666 3258 4.89 23 325.80

Total Defense (games, attempts, yards, average, TDs, per game)
27. Fresno St. 10 666 3258 4.89 23 325.80
43. Southern California 11 755 3861 5.11 31 351.00
103. UCLA 10 734 4354 5.93 39 435.40

And frankly, I like the Trojan's chances. By a lot.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
Let's go give them a glass of milk and cookies, too.

Come on, let's not coddle USC. That's the problem with the Trojans these days. They are a really good football team, but people need to view them realistically instead of having one set of standards for everyone and another set of standards for USC.
When you win multiple championships in a row and have the winning streak they do, how can you not want to put them on a different level? They ARE on a different level, and until someone beats them, they should be treated that way. If you want to be the champ, you have to beat the champ. And bottom line, flaws don't matter if they keep winning. A win is a win.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #13
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Yes one of the best games of the year. Reggie Bush is my Heisman pick. I'd love to see him stay for his senior year, but he won't.

Fresno St has a heck of an offense.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know. To be honest I would not be at all surprised if Bush comes back for his senior year. He seems to be a bird of a different feather. He comes from a pretty stable family and from what I have read they aren't in dire need of money. He also seems to realize the value of an education as he knows his football career could end tomorrow. But, on the other hand I would not be surprised to see him come out either. Who could blame him seeing as he is likely a top five pick.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
When you win multiple championships in a row and have the winning streak they do, how can you not want to put them on a different level? They ARE on a different level, and until someone beats them, they should be treated that way. If you want to be the champ, you have to beat the champ. And bottom line, flaws don't matter if they keep winning. A win is a win.
Sorry, but that's just silly. So because they won the National Championship last year, we shouldn't worry about how they look on the field to judge the team?

That makes zero sense. Teams in college football change year to year, you have to discount the previous seasons.