Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Which A.L. Team Will go To The World Series?
Boston Red Sox 1 14.29%
New York Yankees 1 14.29%
Minnesota Twins 1 14.29%
Cleveland Indians 2 28.57%
Seattle Mariners 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2001, 12:44 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Talking Boston Red Sox A Team On A Mission

The Boston Red Sox are 40-27 at the end of all baseball action June 20th. They have a 3.5 game lead over the New York Yankees. The amazing thing is that Boston is doing all this without the services of their All-Star shortstop Nomar Garciappara. He is expected back around August 1st. The two-time batting champion opted to have surgery on his wrist before the start of the 2001 season and most experts thought Boston wouldn't stand a chance of winning their division without him. The experts have been proven wrong so far. This team has character. Manager Jimy Williams who has been criticized by his own team members for shuffling the lineup constantly apparently knows what he is doing. Carl Everett has been the biggest complainer, but yet he plays everyday. So what's up with that? DH Manny Ramirez has added so much offense to this team. Dante Bichette who doesn't play everyday gets key hits when he does. 1st baseman Brian Daubach has been instrumental in the team's success. Outfielder Trot Nixon seems to hit homeruns when most needed. Carl Everett has certainly done his part with the bat. 3rd baseman Shane Hillenbrand has contributed alot. The whole team has really. Ace pitcher Pedro Martinez is excellent as always. Hideo Nomo who pitched a no-hitter earlier in the season has been a stable force on the pitching staff. David Cone is coming around and providing some good outings. Tim Wakefield pitches well wherever he is needed either as a starter or middle relief. The bullpen has not been that great, but when your starters give you quality starts so what. Frank Castillo has done a good job pitching. This team has really come together. Just think what will happen when Nomar does come back. They have what it takes to win it all. Good hitters,good starting pitching and good defense. They just need to shore up the bullpen some. Boston has not won a World Series since 1918. That year they beat the Chicago Cubs in the World Series. A long time ago. They are way overdue. They say the Curse of the Bambino will follow them for eternity. I don't believe in baseball curses and neither should the Red Sox. Just go out and play your best everyday.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:18 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

....I don't really "think" anyone will represent the AL in the World Series, because I honestly don't follow baseball enough to do that.... but I "hope" Toronto does (), and Minnesota.... Toronto, obviously, because they're Canadian... Minnesota for two reasons - 1) Show everyone that $$$$ doesn't buy championships in baseball anymore; 2)I believe they are geographically the closest team to me
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 11:31 AM   #3
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

I voted for the Yankees in the poll.

And in response to your post... yeah, they are playing hot, but the curse looms on. Sorry Sox.
Old 06-21-2001, 04:00 PM   #4
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I voted for the Red Sox. I want to see them in it kind of, or the Twins would be nice. I would love to see a rematch of the 91 WS or a Sox-Braves WS. Assuming of course that the Braves make it in the weak NL.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 06:22 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I voted for Seattle... they have a great record AND Ichiro!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 12:50 PM   #6
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Boston will crack in the Playoffs (If they even make them) Manny is a bad post season performer. Also, Pedro has not been as dominant this year as in years past.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 01:31 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Rick... I think I'll disagree with you.

Pedro has had some injuries recently... he missed his last start... plus, even if he isn't as dominant, they got Nomo and Wakefield (sp?).... Nomo has one no hitter and came close twice, and Wakefield (sp?) almost had a no hitter last week, too!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote