Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-02-2001, 02:12 PM   #1
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

What an idiot. Jeter is more of a ballplayer, a better and smarter person then A-Rod and is just as much as a leader. A-Rod was behind Randy, then Griffey and then he got his chance to lead in Seattle and they lost. I mean, he's great and all, but his comments are out of line. But, Jeter is a smart guy, he isn't going to get involved in any garbage.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/0302/1121992.html

Quote:
Friday, March 2

Jeter says he'll talk with Rodriguez

TAMPA, Fla. Alex Rodriguez questions Derek Jeter's leadership ability, remarks that are prompting a telephone call from his friend and shortstop rival.

Rodriguez, whose $252 million, 10-year contract with Texas is the largest in sports history, said his New York Yankees counterpart doesn't measure up to him as far as a leadership.

"He's never had to lead," Rodriguez was quoted as saying in April's edition of Esquire. "He can just go and play and have fun. He hits second -- that's totally different than third or fourth in a lineup. You go into New York, you wanna stop Bernie (Williams) and (Paul) O'Neill. You never say, 'Don't let Derek beat us.' He's never your concern."

Jeter, who got a $189 million, 10-year contract from the Yankees in the wake of Rodriguez's deal, was informed of A-Rod's comments before New York played the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday.

"I'll ask him tonight, and I'll talk to you tomorrow," Jeter told reporters. "The only thing you can ask him is what his intentions were. Do I think his intentions were bad? No."

Jeter's teammates have no doubts after his leadership role. The Yankees have won four of five World Series since Jeter joined the team, including three in a row.

"He's one of our leaders in the clubhouse. There's no doubt about it," center fielder Williams said. "He's definitely one of those guys, in a clutch situation, that would do something.

"There are so many games in the past he has won for us, either making a good play, doing the little things or just flat out hitting, carrying the team on his shoulders."

Jeter, who has slowed by right shoulder stiffness, is slated to resume throwing Saturday. He hasn't thrown or taken batting practice since Tuesday.

"I'm doing groundballs and stuff like that," he said. "It's hard sitting around. This is the time you want to be playing. I don't like to sit around and watch."
Well, if A-Rod wants to see a World Series ring, he can always visit Jeter's house.
Old 03-02-2001, 04:35 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Jeter vs. A-Rod

A-Rod can say whatever he wants, but Jeter has the World Series rings and that's all that matters, IMO.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 06:25 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Saying things like this only backs up my opinion that A-Rod is really just "a rod" and isn't worth over $25 million per year.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 07:55 PM   #4
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

Wow. ARod is such a jerk. I do feel Jeter is overrated. If you look at his stats, it's nothing great but if you see him play I guess he is very good. Comes through in the clutch. I sure wounld't want ARod on my team... Glad the Mets didn't sign him.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:30 PM   #5
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

Well, besides stats, Jeter has things that A-Rod doesn't. He is a special player... and my favorite.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:35 PM   #6
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

Default Update...

Just say this at ESPN.

Quote:
Later in the day, Rodriguez said he looked forward to telling Jeter he meant nothing negative. The Texas shortstop insisted his comments were taken out of context from a 90-minute interview last December.

"How can I ever dog Derek Jeter? It's impossible," Rodriguez said. "There is nothing to knock. He's a great defensive player. He's a great offensive player. He's one of the top three players in the game, for the greatest team of my era."

"It's my mistake because I said it. It's not the journalist's fault," he said. "It's been my fault for just talking the game and being too general. I guess you have to be very specific."

While the All-Stars have been friends for several years, this marked the second time in a few months that A-Rod has mentioned Jeter in what appeared to be an unfavorable fashion.

Soon after he signed a $252 million, 10-year contract with Texas that is the largest in sports history, Rodriguez said the salary figure would be hard to top.

"Even a guy like Derek, it's going to be hard for him to break that because he just doesn't do the power numbers and defensively he doesn't do all those things," A-Rod said in December.

Jeter, who already has won four World Series championship rings at age 26, recently got a $189 million, 10-year contract from the Yankees.

Rodriguez said he was trying to compare his situation to Jeter's.

"So when you say you don't go into New York trying to stop Derek, to me that's more of a team compliment," he said.

"When you come to Texas now, you don't say you have to stop Ivan (Rodriguez), Alex or Raffy (Rafael Palmeiro). You say, let's stop one through nine because everybody can hurt you."

Rodriguez left Seattle as a free agent after the Yankees beat the Mariners in last year's AL championship series.

"It's great because our situations mirror each other. All we have to do is go out and play. I don't have to worry about leading Ivan, (Andres) Galarraga or (Ken) Caminiti or Raffy. Those guys all lead themselves. You lead by example, but it's not like leading in Seattle last year," he said.

Jeter's teammates have no doubts about his leadership role. The Yankees have won four of five World Series since Jeter joined the team, including three in a row.

Jeter was the MVP of last year's World Series win over the New York Mets. He's a career .342 hitter in the Series.

"He's one of our leaders in the clubhouse. There's no doubt about it," center fielder Bernie Williams said. "He's definitely one of those guys, in a clutch situation, that would do something."

Said reliever Mike Stanton: "We really don't know what the context of the conversation was. They're pretty strong words."

"There's intangibles there that make Jeter an MVP. I don't think there's any doubt that he's one of the hearts and souls of this team," he said.

And what about A-Rod's remark that teams don't focus on stopping Jeter?

"Yeah, the Mets probably weren't worried about him, either," Stanton said.

Jeter, who has slowed by right shoulder stiffness, hasn't thrown or taken batting practice since Tuesday.

"I'm doing groundballs and stuff like that," he said. "It's hard sitting around. This is the time you want to be playing. I don't like to sit around and watch."

Yankees manager Joe Torre said there was no rush to get Jeter in the lineup.

"As long as we're getting progress here, we might as well not feel it at all," he said.

Rodriguez will play his first game for the Rangers on Saturday in their exhibition opener against Boston in Fort Myers. Rodriguez will bat third, behind Ivan Rodriguez and ahead of Palmeiro.

"I'm excited. That's one of the key points," he said. "I don't think it will hit home until maybe tomorrow, and definitely opening day at home will be special."
All I can say is he said Jeter can't lead. But that in whatever context you want. I think the guy is just trying to make it sound all good or whatever. I don't really like A-Rod, anyway.
Old 03-03-2001, 12:44 AM   #7
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Yeah. Me neither. He doesn't seem like his personality is so great. Jeter on the other hand is a really nice guy. My mom's friend met him at the airport and got a picture with him. What a cool guy.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Old 03-03-2001, 08:18 PM   #8
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Actually, Derek Jeter is the player on the Yanks opposing teams want to stop. Not Bernie or Paul.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 08:46 PM   #9
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, thats what I'd think. Bernie is a great player, but Derek will hurt you in many ways.
Old 03-04-2001, 07:00 PM   #10
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Yeah, he is just so dangerous. Last year's World Series he got big hits and made some nice plays which all contributed to the Yankees' victory. He is one of the best all-around players in baseball.

I'm Back After 5 Months