Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2006 schedules/discussion (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=13283)

Alex 01-22-2006 09:23 PM

The Big Ten is going to be a very interesting race next season. Both Ohio State and Penn State lose a lot of talent, though PSU's is more spread out loss while Ohio State loses almost all of their defense. I think Marcus Green and Quinn Pitcock are the only returnees. Michigan returns the majority of a 7-5 team that was a lot like Florida State- lost some games that they shouldn't have (Notre Dame, Minnesota and Nebraska) and won a big game (Penn State) they shouldn't have. Iowa loses a lot but has some promising recruiting classes ready to emerge. 2006 is a make or break season for Iowa. They didn't recruit particularly well this year and need a strong season to get back on track.

Here's how I see the Big Ten shaking out:

Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Iowa
Minnesota
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Purdue
Illinois
Indiana

buckeyefan78 01-23-2006 05:40 PM

Good Lord it's early Alex. If we go by returners, you have to downgrade Ohio State and Penn State and elevate Michigan and Iowa.

Illinois will be improved. Zook is molding his team into a speedy spread squad (borrowed from his days at Florida). If he can get the talent (you know...athletes), they will present problems one day. I just don't think it will be in 06.

Wisconsin is a tough one. Got a new coach. Who knows?

Northwestern loses Basanez...huge blow for that spread offense. Sutton back though as a soph. Will have to carry the load for a new starting qb. Should be interesting.

Purdue? Tiller avoids injuries and his offense has another year under it's belt. I put them up last year and got burned. This could be their year though.

Way too early for a concrete prediction, but I'm leaning Blue of course. Damn.

Alex 01-23-2006 07:58 PM

Just some early predictions, 78.

I'm sorry but I will NOT buy into the Michigan hype. They went 7-5 last season and their one quality win was gift wrapped for them. Henne and Co. are going to have to show me something before I anoint them as the best in the Big Ten.

And FWIW, I think UM loses at least three games- Notre Dame on the road, Penn State on the road and Ohio State on the road. The Domers are looking for a third win in a row over UM, PSU is hungry for revenge and as OSU found out, Happy Valley isn't a quiet crowd anymore and the Buckeyes own Michigan.

Richard the Lionheart 01-24-2006 12:23 AM

The last part of that post gave me chills--the good kind.

Gohawks 01-30-2006 08:31 AM

78 I dont think the Illinois program will be more than a 6-8 win team in future years, Zook may be a good recruiter but..... Hes not a very good coach.

suedon1970 01-30-2006 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gohawks
78 I dont think the Illinois program will be more than a 6-8 win team in future years, Zook may be a good recruiter but..... Hes not a very good coach.

I second that, Gohawks. He had the respect of the Gator players, but did not instill any discipline and didn't produce. But you never know.......

Alex 01-30-2006 03:30 PM

I don't know. The pressure was on him to win and win right away at Florida. At Illinois, he is going to get time to build the program back up and if they reach as little as the Motor City Bowl in the next two or three years, Illini fans will be happy.

Zook is bringing in a heck of a recruiting class this season. It looks like it will rank only behind Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State.

rwperry 02-23-2006 12:59 PM

FSU Schedule (when it's not basketball season, you have to go for somebody)
09/04/06 Mon Miami Miami, FL
09/09/06 Sat Troy Tallahassee, FL
09/16/06 Sat Clemson Tallahassee, FL
09/23/06 Sat Rice Tallahassee, FL
10/05/06 Thu North Carolina State Raleigh, NC
10/14/06 Sat Duke Durham, NC
10/21/06 Sat Boston College Tallahassee, FL
10/28/06 Sat Maryland College Park, MD
11/04/06 Sat Virginia Tallahassee, FL
11/11/06 Sat Wake Forest Tallahassee, FL
11/18/06 Sat Western Michigan Tallahassee, FL
11/25/06 Sat Florida Tallahassee, FL

I would think 9-3, possibly 10-2 with a good year and some better play calling.

MountaineerDave 03-03-2006 02:38 PM

rwperry: You're not going to get better playcalling, but I'm looking at this schedule wondering how FSU would lose more than one game next season. Should beat Miami, who's in a state of serious, really true-to-life decline (finally!), don't play another game till the NC State game, which FSU should win, but Amato is the one guy on the schedule able to beat the 'Noles when he shouldn't.
Aside from that game, only Florida could beat the 'Noles, and they'd be the one team on the schedule to genuinely fear. (An opening loss to Miami, in my mind, means that Bowden is done, and should retire before the season ends, however.)