Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   "New" Source of Stem Cells (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=16122)

catman 01-08-2007 01:08 PM

"New" Source of Stem Cells

Here is a study that shows that stem cell research can be done without aborting healthy fetuses:
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001
I'm all for stem cell research and using amnionic fluid as a source should placate even those that oppose it currently.

BigBuddhaPup 01-08-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 232234)
Here is a study that shows that stem cell research can be done without aborting healthy fetuses:
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001
I'm all for stem cell research and using amnionic fluid as a source should placate even those that oppose it currently.

Don't count on it...

catman 01-08-2007 02:14 PM

Well BBP, this does eliminate any justification for abortion on demand.

IntheNet 01-08-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 232234)
Here is a study that shows that stem cell research can be done without aborting healthy fetuses...

"...found a plentiful source of stem cells in the fluid that cushions babies in the womb..."

I think that fluid is necessary and already in use...

BigBuddhaPup 01-08-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 232246)
Well BBP, this does eliminate any justification for abortion on demand.

"Abortion on demand"... very loaded phrase...

It doesn't eliminate the need for abortive procedures...come up with a birth control method(beside abstaining from sex)that works 100% of the time... then the debate over abortion will be laid to rest...

BigBuddhaPup 01-08-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 232249)
"...found a plentiful source of stem cells in the fluid that cushions babies in the womb..."

I think that fluid is necessary and already in use...

It has no affect on the birth... so what is the problem?

Are blood donations okay?

I am glad to see that science is finding away around religious dogma to benefit the human race...

Montrovant 01-08-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup (Post 232276)

It doesn't eliminate the need for abortive procedures...come up with a birth control method(beside abstaining from sex)that works 100% of the time... then the debate over abortion will be laid to rest...

Not even close BBP :) It wouldn't be the huge issue it is if people only got abortions after birth control failed.

BigBuddhaPup 01-08-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrovant (Post 232290)
Not even close BBP :) It wouldn't be the huge issue it is if people only got abortions after birth control failed.

:thumbdown: :lol:

IntheNet 01-08-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup (Post 232277)
It has no affect on the birth... so what is the problem?

You don't mind if we drain 40% of the air in your car tires do you? Has no affect on your car...so what is the problem?

Quote:

Are blood donations okay?

Your blood? Yes... The baby's blood? No...

Quote:

I am glad to see that science is finding away around religious dogma to benefit the human race...

?

Montrovant 01-08-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 232310)
You don't mind if we drain 40% of the air in your car tires do you? Has no affect on your car...so what is the problem?

IntheNet.....are you a doctor? Medical student? Midwife even? In short, do you have the experience/knowledge to know that taking amniotic fluid is in any way dangerous? I may be completely wrong, but I thought amniotic fluid was drawn as a way to perform certain tests during pregnancy. I read the article, it said "They reported they were able to extract the stem cells without harm to mother or fetus...". Your car tire analogy seems ridiculous. You pull the number 40% out of nowhere. The researchers used donated amniotic fluid, which certainly doesn't indicate a harmful amount was removed from any one person.

Sometimes I wonder if you mean the things you type, or if you're just looking for a reaction from people here :)

RavenPoe 01-08-2007 11:03 PM

Are you questioning IntheNet's ability to be a midwife? I think he'd make a fine midwife. You all should know that amniocentesis procedures are against God's will. That's why the republican party will defend against them with your very money. :lol:

BigBuddhaPup 01-09-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 232310)

Your blood? Yes... The baby's blood? No...

?

I don't mind if you take air from them if it is benefical, because they can always be pumped back up... no harm done...

Oye vey... you missed the whole point...

To put it simply: It doesn't affect the baby... So what is your problem with it?

My last quote had to do with how religion hurts our society...

IntheNet 01-09-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrovant (Post 232344)
"They reported they were able to extract the stem cells without harm to mother or fetus..."

Permit be to remain skeptical; whose interests are at priority here, the baby whose amniotic fluid is taken, or the person it is taken for? Care to set up that situation on an ethical chart and see where motive falls?

BigBuddhaPup 01-09-2007 09:19 AM

Amniocentesis carries various risks, including:

*Miscarriage. Amniocentesis carries a slight risk of miscarriage, often due to rupture of the amniotic sac. The risk of miscarriage is highest when the procedure is done early in pregnancy, before the two layers of fetal membranes have sealed. By the second trimester, however, the risk of miscarriage drops. In fact, in a 2006 study, researchers found no notable difference in miscarriage rates for women who had amniocentesis during the second trimester and women who didn't.

*When amniocentesis is used later in pregnancy to assess a baby's lung maturity, rupture of the amniotic sac causes little concern because safe delivery is nearly always possible at that point.

* Other complications. Cramping is possible after amniocentesis, and up to 3 percent of women experience light ******l bleeding. Up to 1 percent of women leak amniotic fluid through the ******, which increases the risk of orthopedic problems in early infancy and childhood. Infection is rare. If you develop a fever following an amniocentesis, contact your health care provider.

* Rh sensitization. Rarely, amniocentesis may cause the baby's blood cells to enter the mother's bloodstream. If you have Rh negative blood and your baby has Rh positive blood, you'll be given a drug called Rh immunoglobulin after amniocentesis to prevent you from producing antibodies against your baby's blood cells.

* Needle injury. During amniocentesis, the baby may move an arm or leg into the path of the needle. Serious needle injuries are rare.

catman 01-09-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup (Post 232276)

Perhaps I should have said "abortion for convenience", as opposed to abortion on demand.
You have stated the case against late term or "partial birth" abortions well and for that I say thanks.