Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Basketball Association (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Phoenix Suns (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=15456)

brady_44 11-17-2006 08:35 AM

Phoenix Suns

I haven't had a chance to look around here much yet, but what's the deal with the Suns this year? I thought with Amare back they would compete for the championship. Not looking so hot thus far. Although I was at the home opener where they beat the LA Clippers :)

Pimpbot 11-17-2006 01:13 PM

I've been lucky enough to see two Suns games from a suite at US Airways arena this year and they don't seem to have hit their stride yet. I think it will be close with the Clippers in the west, but Amare is no where near the player he was pre-surgery and if he cannot find some of that old form, the Suns will bow out of the playoffs early once again.

doublee 11-17-2006 06:30 PM

I have wondered a bit about the Suns myself this year. One would have thought they would have slipped up last year and having Amare this year would be a bonus. But, it kind of looks as though maybe Bell and Diaw had their career years last year and are back to fading into the background.

da12ken 11-17-2006 06:59 PM

How much do you guys think Amare's play is hurting or helping the Suns? A lot of people have suggested that bringing along Amare (basically playtime equals rehab for him at this point) has hurt the Suns' fast pace offense, especially of Diaw and Bell.

#99 11-17-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimpbot (Post 222910)
I've been lucky enough to see two Suns games from a suite at US Airways arena this year and they don't seem to have hit their stride yet. I think it will be close with the Clippers in the west, but Amare is no where near the player he was pre-surgery and if he cannot find some of that old form, the Suns will bow out of the playoffs early once again.

Nailed it, Pimpbot. Having a hindered Amare is proving to be more trouble than last season's situation where they could just gameplan with the knowledge that Amare's out. But with him healthy, there's an obligation to integrate him as a focal point of the offense and until he gets back to old form, it's going to be a problem for them.

brady_44 11-17-2006 11:27 PM

Ya, those were basically my thoughts on things as well. I think integrating him back into the system may take a while. I just hope they can put a few wins together and get their swagger back.

hero in a dream 11-29-2006 04:49 AM

Last year was a slow start for the Suns as well. It's a running offense, it has to gel over time.

brady_44 11-29-2006 07:45 AM

True. I don't want to make excuses for how they played early, but I do think the new ball made a big difference in their offense. Now that they are used to not getting as many fast breaks, and Nash can hold onto it, they are looking much better.

Marino13 12-20-2006 06:36 PM

Nash will get his 3rd MVP this year..Call it a gut feeling

190 Octane 12-23-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marino13 (Post 228692)
Nash will get his 3rd MVP this year..Call it a gut feeling

God the thought makes me sick to my stomach. Jordan never won three consecutive MVPs. Neither did Magic. Nor did Oscar Robertson. But I wouldn't doubt it.

doublee 12-23-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 190 Octane (Post 229761)
God the thought makes me sick to my stomach. Jordan never won three consecutive MVPs. Neither did Magic. Nor did Oscar Robertson. But I wouldn't doubt it.

That mere fact may be what keeps him from winning three straight. I'd say it is pretty wide open right now. But, if the Lakers manage to win 55 games this year, which they are on pace to do, Kobe will probably win it in a landslide.