Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   B(C)S talk 2006 (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=15112)

eric 11-20-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Jay 05 (Post 223106)
Michigan: Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, at #5 Notre Dame, #9 Wisconsin, at Minnesota, Michigan State, at Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, Ball State, at Indiana, at #1 Ohio State
Florida: Southern Miss, UCF, at #22 Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, #11 LSU, at #14 Auburn, Georgia, at Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Western Carolina, at Florida State

SOS:
#46 Florida
#47 Michigan

A good argument could be put up for either team at this point, but I would give Michigan the edge considering they only lost to #1 Ohio State by 3 in Columbus.

No doubt UM played three Top 10 teams while Florida will only face one in Arkansas. The Non-Conference opponents for Michigan are clearly better than Florida's especially based on FSU's bad season, and my point was the WC game was just a bad scheduling move, the computer aren't likely to give UF any credit for beating a 2-7 1-AA school. Meanwhile Vandy has a quality win over Georgia, Central Michigan may be the MAC champ this season and Ball Stae is at least a 1A school.:lol:

themush 11-20-2006 06:03 PM

How I Know College Football is Rigged.
By: themush

OSU beats Michigan 42-39

The state of Ohio's pick 4 Saturday night 4-2-3-9.

Coincidence? There's no such thing a coincidences. ;)

doublee 11-20-2006 07:12 PM

But, shouldn't who you have beaten matter as well as who you have lost to?

Aside from the Notre Dame what other win does Michigan have that they can hang their hats on? If USC wins out it will hold victories against Notre Dame, Arkansas, Cal, and Nebraska and will have beaten 10 teams that are bowl eligible while Michigan only six.

buckeyefan78 11-20-2006 07:58 PM

I'm not sure if you guys know this or not but the experts clearly stated today that it is OSU-USC if the Trojans win out...PERIOD. In fact, USC may overtake the Buckeyes in the computer polls based on SOS when all is said and done.

In fairness, I'd go with a rematch. Now that is fairness in the system that anyone who isn't for the old way has to accept IMO. That's accountability I'm sticking those people with (cuz no one knows how to take it on their own anymore)...PERIOD.

What I want: USC vs. OSU. And if only we could play it in Pasadena instead of that damn new technological nightmare in the desert. This matchup is based on the old system...the right way to do it.

Now if USC loses, the experts said it would be Michigan with the SEC champ having a slight chance at getting it.

I'm hoping USC wins out so we can have a traditional matchup. I know it isn't fair cuz the ONLY fair thing is OSU-UM but since the BCS isn't my system, I'll actually benefit from it this year.

Oh yeah...I LOVED Pete's comments after the USC-Cal game on Saturday when a rematch looked more favorable due to the epic contest in Columbus. He basically said he wants nothing to do with that talk and won't lobby anyone. Carr said it too up in Ann Arbor before the game as well as Jimmy T. Both of them were very strong in their words saying no rematch.

Ya know...it's so refreshing to hear that class and sportsmanship from those guys on this issue (not that I don't have other issues with all 3 of them) instead of the crap we have to hear from cowards like Tuberville and Meyer.

No wonder USC is a program that will take on anyone at anytime. Ohio State and Michigan too.

I only fear USC as far as who my Buckeyes might play. They have honor and courage...unlike the SEC.

Justice to those with courage for once...what a novel idea. Restores some of my faith that doing the right thing and hard work actually pays off.

Here is to OSU, USC, and Michigan: the class of the NCAA.

HibachiDG 11-20-2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Ya know...it's so refreshing to hear that class and sportsmanship from those guys on this issue (not that I don't have other issues with all 3 of them) instead of the crap we have to hear from cowards like Tuberville and Meyer.
Right, because if Carroll or Carr weren't on the outside looking in they would be doing just this? Give me a break. Carr is only saying what he is saying because the sentiment is even or slightly leans in favor of a rematch. If there were polls out there saying that 70% of the folks did not favor a rematch, you can sure as hell bet that Carr would be campaigning his ass off.

With Carroll, he knows they're fairly lucky to even be talked about in all of this. He also knows, for it to happen, they have to win. He has a Conference loss in a fairly weak Conference, I'm not exactly sure what you want him to say?

Meanwhile, Meyer talks about wanting a playoff and he is PROVEN RIGHT as the weeks go on. Meyer is not speaking without class, Meyer is speaking from the position of someone overlooked.

You sit here and rail on the SEC for having a lack of sportsmanship, when you don't look in the mirror to realize that you're part of the problem. You call Meyer a coward because you realize you can not argue your position and simply name calling would be the way to go for you.

We sit here and NOTRE DAME is mentioned more in the National Title picture than an SEC Champion. USC, if they run the table is in? With little mention of what happens if Florida runs the table?

And you wonder why the SEC folks are proactive in calling for the changes?

Just because you don't recognize the landscape of college football does not mean that these people lack CLASS. Disagreeing with them is absolutely fine. I disagree with them on most of what they say. It is cowardly and pathetic to sit there and praise the haves and belittle the have nots like you do.

Seriously, in this season, Florida should be talked about as having a good, if not inside track, shot at playing OSU in the Title game. At LEAST on par with USC. For you to sit there and rip Meyer for basically calling out knuckleheads like yourself, it's just silly. If you want to speak of class, certainly you should try the mirror first. You have Wisconsin AHEAD of Florida. I realize you do not watch Florida play, I realize you haven't seen Wisconsin play, but come on. Meyer says the things he does because of the reality of the situation.

doublee 11-20-2006 09:52 PM

The cynic in me cannot help but wonder what Carroll's opinion on the matter would be if he was not already sporting a shiny piece of jewelry on his finger for winning the National Championship.

Tarkus 11-20-2006 11:43 PM

Maybe this thread should be renamed the Smack thread....WTF...:rolleyes:

eric 11-21-2006 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 223229)
But, shouldn't who you have beaten matter as well as who you have lost to?

Aside from the Notre Dame what other win does Michigan have that they can hang their hats on? If USC wins out it will hold victories against Notre Dame, Arkansas, Cal, and Nebraska and will have beaten 10 teams that are bowl eligible while Michigan only six.

I have no complaint if USC wins out, they should go my arguments would be with anyone other than USC taken over Michigan.

buckeyefan78 11-21-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 223273)
The cynic in me cannot help but wonder what Carroll's opinion on the matter would be if he was not already sporting a shiny piece of jewelry on his finger for winning the National Championship.

Let me help you out then doublee. Here is Carroll's take on the 2003 BCS when LSU (an SEC team) played Oklahoma for the BCS NC...before he had a national championship...

LOS ANGELES -- If USC coach Pete Carroll was greatly upset by the fact the Trojans will not play for the national title in the Sugar Bowl, he sure didn't show it.

He simply moved the championship game West.

In an untraditional manner, the Rose Bowl got its first traditional matchup in three years: the Pac-10 and Big Ten champions playing, No. 1 USC against No. 4 Michigan.

"We're real proud of where we are, excited as can be to be playing in the Rose Bowl and to be the No. 1 team in American playing for that. This is the national championship game for us, and Michigan is a great opponent," Carroll said Sunday after the Trojans were No. 1 in both polls but No. 3 in the BCS standings behind Oklahoma and LSU.

"I'm not real taken by it or shaken by it all, because this is a system that chooses, as opposed to the games being played. We have a fantastic opportunity and a great matchup, so we're going for it. It's clear as a bell to me. We're the top team in the country by the people that chose, and we want to hold that position by playing a great game."

The last time the Trojans won a national championship, in 1978, it was a split title. USC finished No. 2 in The Associated Press poll behind Alabama, but No. 1 in the coaches' poll. Since the final coaches' poll now is determined by the BCS title game, USC only has a shot at the writers' championship.

When the final BCS standings were aired Sunday afternoon, many of the USC players watched quietly in their campus dining hall, not showing any emotion.

There was a cheer afterward when Carroll told them, "You're the No. 1 team in America."

Tournament of Roses president Mike Riffey showed up and presented Carroll with a bouquet of roses. Riffey obviously was pleased with this year's matchup.

"This is just huge, with the (BCS) No. 3 and the No. 4 sitting there. I think it's great they (the Trojans) are No. 1 in both polls," Riffey said. "They slid to No. 3 obviously in the BCS, but that's not our concern at this point.

"I think we're going to have the national championship game right where we are. We're going to thoroughly enjoy having the Pac-10 and Big Ten back with us again."

Still, wide receiver Mike Williams acknowledged the obvious -- that the Trojans would have preferred to go to play in the Sugar Bowl.

"The USC family (fans) would like to see us in New Orleans, and I've apologized to people who came up and told me they already have their ticket and things like that," Williams said. "The Sugar Bowl is where the national championship game is, so of course we want to be there. It would have been a new experience from this team.

"The one thing I think I can say is that we are the No. 1 team in the nation, and that is undisputed. If we went out and played either one of those teams (LSU or Oklahoma), we'd give them their best games and we'd probably win. But right now, that's a whole different thing. So we'll just deal with it and move on."

A victory over No. 4 Michigan in the Rose Bowl should make the Trojans national champions, Williams said.

"I'm not an expert on this, but if the No. 1 team at the end of the regular season wins its bowl game, how are they not the No. 1 team outright? But we don't play LSU or we don't play Oklahoma, so you'll never know," he said.

Still, he said he has no real complaints with the BCS.

"I think people get away from the fact that we're not undefeated," he said, referring to the Trojans' triple-overtime loss at California on Sept. 27. "I don't have a problem with the BCS. Because of what coach Carroll's doing here, we're not going to lose too much.

"The BCS is going to work in our favor, one way or the other. We're going to be fine, whether the BCS hangs around for another six years or another 20 years."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6903354

See...the reason why he's gone on to win all that hardware is because of this exact attitude. YOU SHOW ACCOUNTABILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS AND EVENTUALLY YOU'LL WIN BECAUSE YOU CAN SPEND YOUR TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY YOU FAILED INSTEAD OF BLAMING OTHERS. It's why Tuberville and Meyer are on the outside looking in. It's why Ohio State is on the cusp right now.

eric...

I agree with you that it should be USC and Michigan as the only two with a shot. If USC goes...fine. I still say by the system they've created it should be Michigan but I like the idea of the system actually rewarding the notion of accountability...even if it was only by mistake.