Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Obama's big flip-flop splash (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=20221)

DETMURDS 08-02-2008 12:53 PM

Obama's big flip-flop splash
 
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Friday he would be willing to support limited additional offshore oil drilling if that's what it takes to enact a comprehensive policy to foster fuel-efficient autos and develop alternate energy sources.

Shifting from his previous opposition to expanded offshore drilling, the Illinois senator told a Florida newspaper he could get behind a compromise with Republicans and oil companies to prevent gridlock over energy.


Wow, this moron who last week told us if we just kept our cars in tune, and tires properly inflated that we could save enough oil in the same amount compared to what "THEY" want in drilling for oil. I guess he realized he was 100% incorrect and changed his mind?? Koo-Koo!

Ellis 08-03-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DETMURDS (Post 284034)
Koo-Koo!

I'd love to see what it is like in the head of Detmurds... just for a day.

DETMURDS 08-03-2008 09:58 PM

I'd just like to see Obama stick to some of his original principals he proclaimed to be all about when he announced his candidacy. They are all about gone now,...no drilling, his church, and his friends/associates. I don't think he will be in the picture much longer to be honest even with the left-sided media, and the scripted speeches,....he has to do a debate here some time soon,..who will feed him the lies and bad answers then? ....NOBODY!

As for me Ellis,...get over me,...ok? Don't really need your infatuation.

CKFresh 08-04-2008 09:06 AM

DET,

I wouldn't look forward to the debates if I were you. I, along with most experts, am predicting a 5-10 point BUMP for Obama after the first major debate.

The majority of the public agrees with Obama on key issues, but most say they "don't know" Obama. Once he gets on a stage next to that 100 year old man, it will be bad news for the McCain campaign.

---------

Speaking of this issue of flip-flopping...

DET, please go back 1 year and tell me what John McCain was saying about offshore drilling.

They both flip-flopped... But you only have a problem when Obama does it.

YAWN

trayhezy 08-04-2008 07:21 PM

I don't see how this is a flip flop. He is saying that he is willing to COMPROMISE on off shore drilling as part of a much larger plan.

I have a 5 year old that I am teaching to read, and when she doesn't know a word she tends to skip over it like it is not there. This is exactly what the Repubs are doing with the word compromise.

CKFresh 08-04-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayhezy (Post 284094)
I don't see how this is a flip flop. He is saying that he is willing to COMPROMISE on off shore drilling as part of a much larger plan.

I have a 5 year old that I am teaching to read, and when she doesn't know a word she tends to skip over it like it is not there. This is exactly what the Repubs are doing with the word compromise.

:lol:

:thumbsup2:

DETMURDS 08-04-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 284069)
DET,

I wouldn't look forward to the debates if I were you. I, along with most experts, am predicting a 5-10 point BUMP for Obama after the first major debate.

The majority of the public agrees with Obama on key issues, but most say they "don't know" Obama. Once he gets on a stage next to that 100 year old man, it will be bad news for the McCain campaign.

---------

Speaking of this issue of flip-flopping...

DET, please go back 1 year and tell me what John McCain was saying about offshore drilling.

They both flip-flopped... But you only have a problem when Obama does it.

YAWN

CK,....first, I never said McCain was my top choice,..like you say about Obama.

Over 70% of Americans want the drilling for oil,..and just last week the idiot told us all that all we needed to do is keep good air pressure in our tires and tune up our cars? WHAT AN IDIOT he is for saying that!

As for debates, Obama is avoiding debates because he can't answer a question without a script in front of him. I take it back when I said he is a good talker,...he is just a good reader. Again, as for debate,..he has turned down every town hall meetings that McCain invited him to as well,.....did you even know that? Probably not since the news you watch won't tell the truth.

Obama has also lost the confidence with those who support him,..that would be those from the Daily KOS,...they are pretty p-o'd at him right now,...he has betrayed his most loyal people.

You yourself CKFRESH have said that you hope that gas prices go through the roof, and even your Obama is going to let you down on that,..he is a hand puppet, simple as that.

McCain,...even with his horrible campaign is keeping Obama in check today, not to mention the heavy lean to the left on all the communist mainstream media networks.

McCain will win this EASILY,...watch and learn. The only way McCain loses this if he says something half as stupid as Obama does every single day since his campaign of "skeletons in the closet" began!

Take care and thanks for the reply

Richard the Lionheart 08-04-2008 11:50 PM

I don't care to say anything on this topic, but I thought this might be a good place to raise something that has irked me about your posts, Detmurds. Now, I'm normally not a grammar nut on message boards since the point is to be conversational and informal, but since this happens repeatedly I just can't contain my curiosity and have to ask why you continually place comas before dots. It's unneccessary and I don't think I've ever seen it before.

For example:

"Over 70% of Americans want the drilling for oil,..and just last week the idiot told us all that all we needed to do is keep good air pressure in our tires and tune up our cars? WHAT AN IDIOT he is for saying that!"

The three dots work just fine without the coma. The coma is used to break up a sentence, but that purpose is already served by the dots.

All you have to say is:

"Over 70% of Americans want the drilling for oil...and just last week the idiot told us all that all we needed to do is keep good air pressure in our tires and tune up our cars? WHAT AN IDIOT he is for saying that!"

Or you could just skip the dots altogether and throw in a coma there.

I think doing this would be a small step, but a positive one on your way to establishing credibility in your posts here. :cheers:

CKFresh 08-05-2008 09:00 AM

DET,

If McCain is going to win "easily," why is he trailing in every poll, and in most swing states?

Ellis 08-05-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart (Post 284104)
I think doing this would be a small step, but a positive one on your way to establishing credibility in your posts here. :cheers:

Another big step would be to add more pictures, especially ones like the dog taking a crap. :thumbup:

Richard the Lionheart 08-05-2008 05:10 PM

:lol:

You almost cost me my laptop, Ellis. Just about spit out the water I was drinking.

DETMURDS 08-05-2008 07:10 PM

.....(DOTS) You mean you almost spilled your Kool-Aid!

I cannot believe I read posts so wrong and irrelevant in response to my previous post. You can all talk to yourselves for now on and hopefully you will all believe it too?

Richard the Lionheart 08-05-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DETMURDS (Post 284121)
.....(DOTS) You mean you almost spilled your Kool-Aid!

:lol:

I'd have to go pretty far back to find a thread in this forum I enjoyed more than this one. :thumbsup2:

Ellis 08-05-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DETMURDS (Post 284121)
You can all talk to yourselves for now on and hopefully you will all believe it too?

I wish that I had access to the enlightenment that you always allude to, Detmurds, although, from an epistemology standpoint, I can't get myself to believe in your (or any) political and spiritual enlightenment, but I want to believe because you seem so blissful!

doublee 08-05-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayhezy (Post 284094)
I don't see how this is a flip flop. He is saying that he is willing to COMPROMISE on off shore drilling as part of a much larger plan.

I have a 5 year old that I am teaching to read, and when she doesn't know a word she tends to skip over it like it is not there. This is exactly what the Repubs are doing with the word compromise.

Thank You. One would not expect a GOP supporter to understand the notion of compromising seeing as the Bush Administration basically does what it wants and could care less what anyone else thinks about it.

Anthony 08-06-2008 06:56 AM

There was an op-ed article in the San Francisco Chronicle yesterday suggesting that Obama is having trouble with older voters; indeed, he appears to be trailing McCain by 5 points among voters over 65 - the same age bracket George W. Bush lost decisively, both times.

Maybe it's Obama's radical associations - Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, etc. - that is turning these voters off?

CKFresh 08-06-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 284141)
There was an op-ed article in the San Francisco Chronicle yesterday suggesting that Obama is having trouble with older voters; indeed, he appears to be trailing McCain by 5 points among voters over 65 - the same age bracket George W. Bush lost decisively, both times.

Maybe it's Obama's radical associations - Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, etc. - that is turning these voters off?

Or could it have something to do with the fact that older people are more likely to be racist????

Association with William Ayers? Haven't I already proved you wrong about that. They know each other... Get over it. They don't exchange ideas about policy.

DETMURDS 08-06-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 284144)
Or could it have something to do with the fact that older people are more likely to be racist????

Association with William Ayers? Haven't I already proved you wrong about that. They know each other... Get over it. They don't exchange ideas about policy.

Perfect post Anthony! I have seen proof that Obama and Ayers have many links together. There is NO PROOF that can change what has actually happened.

trayhezy 08-06-2008 11:38 PM

It could be the race thing.

Or it could be that while younger voters like the younger guy, older voters like the "old white haired dude".

CKFresh 08-07-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DETMURDS (Post 284158)
Perfect post Anthony! I have seen proof that Obama and Ayers have many links together. There is NO PROOF that can change what has actually happened.

And I have proof that Bush is linked to Bin Laden...

What's your point?

catman 08-07-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 284169)
And I have proof that Bush is linked to Bin Laden...

What's your point?

This is something that I would need to see before I believe it is nothing more than "more of the same'" from you, Fresh.
Obama has a lot of ties to real racism. He will have a lot of work to do to eliminate that from his campaign.

CKFresh 08-07-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 284170)
This is something that I would need to see before I believe it is nothing more than "more of the same'" from you, Fresh.
Obama has a lot of ties to real racism. He will have a lot of work to do to eliminate that from his campaign.

You can do some research I'm sure, but this can get you started...

http://www.truthout.org/article/ties...sama-bin-laden

Bush has done business with the Bin Laden family for years.

Guilt-by-association?

Obama's ties with "real racism?" Such as?

DETMURDS 08-07-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 284169)
And I have proof that Bush is linked to Bin Laden...

What's your point?

Funny how you always change the subject CKFresh? Let me tell you something,...Bush is the President,...Obama is a wanna-be President.

Anywho, Barry has more problems,..he hasn't been nominated just yet:

Sen. Hillary Clinton told a gathering of supporters last week that she's looking for a "strategy" for her delegates to have their voices heard and "respected" at the Democratic National Convention -- and did not rule out the possibility of having her name placed into nomination at the convention alongside Sen. Barack Obama's. "I happen to believe that we will come out stronger if people feel that their voices were heard and their views were respected. I think that is a very big part of how we actually come out unified," Clinton, D-N.Y., said at a California fundraiser last Thursday.

I think she is still in it, even more so since Barry was getting creamed by her in the later primaries. And please, don't bring up Hawaii, and P.R. primaries either?

Here is just a taste of what is happening to BHO.

-Among voters aged 18-29, Obama lost 16 percent and McCain gained 20. Obama still leads, 49-38;

-Among women, McCain gained 10 percentage points. Obama now leads 43-38;

-Among independents, Obama lost an 11 point lead. They're now tied;

-Among Democrats, Obama's support dropped from 83 percent to 74 percent;

-Among Catholics, Obama lost the 11 point lead he had in July and now trails McCain by 15.

The question, obviously, is whether that erosion will continue as voters continue to learn more about Obama, and see him less as a media phenomenon, and more as a conventional, but very liberal, Democrat with little practical experience.

CKFresh 08-07-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

The question, obviously, is whether that erosion will continue as voters continue to learn more about Obama, and see him less as a media phenomenon, and more as a conventional, but very liberal, Democrat with little practical experience.
No, once they see him on stage with the old man they will realize that his ideas are much more mainstream than McCain's.

The choice is between Bush the third, or a man who is with the majority of the country on nearly every issue - the war, health care, the environment, and the economy.

Bush's policies have failed. McCain is no different than Bush - other than on the environment.

Once people see Obama next to McCain, the lead will rise to a double-digit lead.

catman 08-08-2008 01:30 AM

Has Bush done business with Osama bin Laden? Most of his family has renounced him and his beliefs.
Your "guilt by association" does not wash here. Osama has a half brother that is a lawyer in Boston that says he would likely not recognize him if they were to meet on the street.
Sorry Fresh, you'll have to do a bit better with your attempt to deflect the blatant racism that is in Obama's campaign.

catman 08-08-2008 01:35 AM

By blatant racism I am, of course, referring to Jeremiah Wright, who was Obama's pastor and "mentor" for over 20 years.
This, my friend, is guilt without being by "association".

catman 08-08-2008 01:59 AM

One more thing about your attempts at deflecting this "problem" by bringing the incumbant president into the discussion. He is not eligible to run for the office again, therefore is not germaine to the discussion of the current election. Time to bring up concerns about his qualifications were over nearly 4 years ago.
Don't blame the Republicans for running better campaigns over the past 2 election cycles.

Anthony 08-08-2008 06:39 AM

In my dealings at least, I have found people now in the age range of roughly 35 to 50 to be a lot more racist than those currently over 65.

And you can't get around the fact that the Republicans are scoring their most telling points by attacking Barack Obama for both his perceived pacifism and his perceived environmentalism - the twin pillars of the '60s counterculture's political edifice.

This campaign is 1972 all over again - but the real 1972 had better movies and better music (it also had a Summer Olympics defaced by a terrorist incident - a sobering thought).

CKFresh 08-08-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 284193)
By blatant racism I am, of course, referring to Jeremiah Wright, who was Obama's pastor and "mentor" for over 20 years.
This, my friend, is guilt without being by "association".

And what did Wright say that was racist?

Quote:

In my dealings at least, I have found people now in the age range of roughly 35 to 50 to be a lot more racist than those currently over 65.
Anthony, you are either extremely sheltered, or full of crap.

First of all, common sense will tell you that you are wrong.

People over the age of 60 had grandparents who owned slaves.

People who are over the age of 60 were likely taught that black people were "lesser" humans than white people. They were taught that black people were "less evolved" than white people.

They grew up in a time when they were segregated by race.

OVer the past 60 years - hate crimes have decreased, segregation was abolished, equal rights were established, and more black people have risen to power due to less racism from each generation.

A black man could never have been nominated for president 20 years ago.

So, simply knowing a little bit about history would suggest that older people are more racist than younger people.

Then of course, we have statistical information to prove your anecdotal evidence wrong...

CBS Poll:

Democrats (at 67 percent) are slightly more likely than Republicans (at 61 percent) to say most people they know would vote for a black candidate. Older Americans are less likely to respond that people they know would do so: Just 58 percent of those 65 and older say most of the people they know would vote for a black candidate. By contrast, 70 percent of respondents under 30 years old said those they know would do so.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4151937.shtml

I suppose your next argument is going to be that the South is less racist than the North and that Republicans are less racist than Democrats?

:lol:

Quote:

And you can't get around the fact that the Republicans are scoring their most telling points by attacking Barack Obama for both his perceived pacifism and his perceived environmentalism - the twin pillars of the '60s counterculture's political edifice.
Pacifism? Like "I will bomb Iran." Or how about, "If we knew Bin Laden was in Pakistan, and they were doing nothing about it, we would attack."

Sounds like a real pinko.

Environmentalism? OH NO! Don't clean up the environment! What a scary thought!

:rolleyes:

catman 08-08-2008 12:51 PM

Fresh, stop trying to defoect the "difficulties" Obama has by bringing Bush into the discussion.
Jeremiah Wright has been a "black power" pastor for many years. I, as a white Christian, might not be welcome in his church. At least I would not feel comfortable there.
I have said for a long time that racism still is at home in the Democratic party and will stick to that statement. Republicans speak about "self-help", and advocate the formation of businesses in the inner-cities. Democrats speak about the climate of hopelessness in the inner-city and advocate the continuation of the welfare-state that has enslaved the minority population for entirely too long. If that isn't racism, I don't know what is.
As to cleaning up the environment, stop talking about it and get out and actually do it as I do.

CKFresh 08-08-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Fresh, stop trying to defoect the "difficulties" Obama has by bringing Bush into the discussion.
My last post said nothing about Bush.

Quote:

Jeremiah Wright has been a "black power" pastor for many years. I, as a white Christian, might not be welcome in his church. At least I would not feel comfortable there.
There are white members of his church.

Quote:

I have said for a long time that racism still is at home in the Democratic party and will stick to that statement.
How do you think a black republican would do running for president?

I have a feeling he'd never make it past the primary...

I'd love to see it tried, just to prove my point.

Quote:

Republicans speak about "self-help", and advocate the formation of businesses in the inner-cities. Democrats speak about the climate of hopelessness in the inner-city and advocate the continuation of the welfare-state that has enslaved the minority population for entirely too long. If that isn't racism, I don't know what is.
Republican attitude is - F you, it's all your fault, you're lazy.

Quote:

As to cleaning up the environment, stop talking about it and get out and actually do it as I do.
I do, daily.

I was simply laughing at Anthony making the suggestion that environmentalism is bad...

DETMURDS 08-08-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 284207)
My last post said nothing about Bush.



There are white members of his church.



How do you think a black republican would do running for president?

I have a feeling he'd never make it past the primary...

I'd love to see it tried, just to prove my point.



Republican attitude is - F you, it's all your fault, you're lazy.



I do, daily.

I was simply laughing at Anthony making the suggestion that environmentalism is bad...

I think Colin Powell could have done well if he ran for president,..yes, he would be a Republican.

Jerimiah Wright hates Israel,...he is a racist. He also comments, and complains about "white folk". Do you know who he is CKF?

ALSO,....CKF, you said this: "Once people see Obama next to McCain, the lead will rise to a double-digit lead."

What a joke! A child the other day asked him why he (Obama) wanted to become President and he stuttered and bumbled like an idiot. He can't answer a question CKF! He has turned down every invitation to "town hall" that McCain has offered. I can't wait for a debate to happen, because Obama won't have it scripted out for him like every time any of us has seen him speaking in front of large crowds. Also, it is only August and all the dirt that has come out on Obama is pathetic. HE IS HIS OWN DOWNFALL. He is not running against McCain, he is running against himself,..and he is still losing!

And why does Obama complain, and worry about Sean Hannity? Does he not appreciate Freedom of the Press? Does he not appreciate the American way? Hell, his fool wife just recently got proud to be an American,...what a dingbat!

trayhezy 08-08-2008 07:49 PM

Is anybody as PO'd as I am over the fact that Iraq has an 80 B-B-Billion dollar surplus?

My tax dollars are benefiting Iraq more than my children.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.