View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default FCS (I-AA) playoffs may expand to 18 teams...

I-AA playoffs may expand to 18 teams

The Division I-AA football playoffs will grow by two teams to 18 next season if the NCAA board of directors approves expansion at its April meeting.

One of the teams will be a conference champion and the other an at-large entry. The proposal was approved by the Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet last week.

Still to be determined: how to encompass an extra week in the schedule and which conference will receive an automatic qualifier. The new field will have nine conference champs and nine at-large schools.

I-AA (now Football Championship Subdivision) has had a playoff since 1978. The I-A (Football Bowl Subdivision) champ is decided in the Bowl Championship Series or Associated Press poll.

By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...terstitialskip

We'll have to monitor this one closely.

One of the main points Big Ten commish Delany and Pac Ten commish Hansen make in the fight against the plus 1/BCS is that playoffs over time always expand to include more and more teams.

The pro-plus 1/BCS people just ignore. Well, history isn't their strong suit...to say the least.

Here's the template...I-AA (FCS).

1978: 4 teams
1981: 8 teams
1982: 12 teams
1986: 16 teams
2007: 18 teams?

I'm actually kinda shocked it took 'em so long to do it...if it indeed gets done.

I also love how the author says The I-A (Football Bowl Subdivision) champ is decided in the Bowl Championship Series or Associated Press poll.

Huh? I didn't get the memo from President Brand outta Indianapolis saying the NCAA sanctioned a I-A (FBS) champion.

No wonder I just got done blasting "journalists" in the Gundy thread.

We should give everyone a trophy. We're all winners! :thumbsup2:

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 09-25-2007 at 05:23 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote