View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #32
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
To some extent. Sure, different cultures are into different things-- so, yeah, your "experience" has an effect on your values and what you read... plus other stuff.

But think here's where I think we always come to a fundamental difference:
You seem to admire the person who's lived a hard life and experienced a lot first-hand. I'm kind of the polar opposite: I admire the person who completely devotes himself to one specific intellectual field and cuts himself off from the real world.
I kind of had the feeling you thought that about me. It goes back to our different definitions on experience I guess. I couldn't disagree more with your assertion but then again...without the common ground of the same definitions to work from I doubt we're gonna make any progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Again, I just don't see the real world as having that much value. I'd much rather live in my own world and try to master something or see the world differently.
And if you accomplished this, would you tell anyone else? What drives you to want to do this...if you even know?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote