Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Top 10 non-conference games this year...

USA Today printed all I-A schedules in today's edition. Considering I have nothing to do , I read them all. Here's my list of top games out of conference for the 05 season...

10. Tennessee at Notre Dame...Last year's game in Knoxville was a close one with the Vols winning 17-13. Will Notre Dame mesh under new coach Charlie Weis? Will Tennesse live up to preseason hype, the highest we've seen in quite some time?

9. Arkansas at Southern Cal...Ok, it could be a blowout. Thing is, the SEC rarely travels outside of Dixie. Interesting to see how a mediocre SEC team handles the pressure of the Trojans in L.A.

8. Oklahoma at UCLA...Ok, this one could be a blowout too. When the Bruins played in Norman two years back they got destroyed by 35 points. This one is at the Rose Bowl and UCLA did finish strong, giving USC all they could handle late last year.

7. Arizona St. at LSU...Les Miles takes over Nick Saban's steady program, which is bad news for Tiger fans. Watching Miles do nothing as Ohio State walked all over his Ok State Cowboys last year was a disgrace. I'm not too sure this is the right guy for the job. Anyway, the Sun Devils go down south coming off a strong 9-3 season. Should be a good one.

6. Bowling Green at Boise State...This is a really fun game. Both teams are always looking for respect, and rarely get it. BGSU now has their chance to get their due, but it won't be easy. The Broncos have won 36 of their last 37 home games. The two teams finished a combined 20-4 last year.

5. Oregon St. at Louisville...This game should be interesting. Louisville lost only one game last year, the choke job at Miami. Knocking off a solid Pac Ten opponent should set the tone for them to dominate their new league, the Big East.

4. Colorado at Miami (Fl)...I think the Buffs have a chance. I really do. They went all out last year for Gary Barnett and finished 8-5, well above expectations. The Canes will be coming off the Florida State and Clemson games. Colorado might be there to steal a win.

3. Boise St. at Georgia...Just like Bowling Green getting their chance to take it up a notch, Boise State will do likewise when they take on the Bulldogs. Of course the game will be in Dixie, but it should be interesting to see just how long the Broncos can hang with Georgia. I don't see an upset, but it should be fun.

2. Florida State at Florida...Does this game still matter? Will Urban Meyer be able to run with top dogs? I have a feeling this game will feature either two mediocre teams, or two squads looking for a BCS game.

1. Texas at Ohio State...Does it get any better than this? The Buckeyes will have qb Troy Smith back from his one game suspension when they host the Longhorns in early September. It is only fitting both teams enter this season with the EXACT same all time winning percentage at .709, good for a tie of 5th place in history. Winner moves up, loser has to work harder.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran

Kashchei is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. Texas at Ohio State
Please beat Texas, please!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'm really looking forward to the Bowling Green-Boise State game. I have enjoyed watching WAC, especially Boise State, and MAC football over the last couple of years and both of these teams have been at or near the top of their respective leagues for the past several seasons. Omar Jacobs of Bowling Green looks like the next great MAC QB and Jared Zabransky seems to be trying to make a name for himself nationally. He's a good quarterback for the style of offense that Dan Hawkins runs but I would put him a notch lower than Ryan Dinwiddie.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:14 AM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Alex...

Just a note here, ESPN2 has already agreed to air that contest.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the update, Buckeye. Looks like it will be on 9/21 (a Wednesday?) at 8 PM.