Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #91
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
No problem, Buck. Just showing that there is documentation for the resurrection that is credible and believable.
Sure there is.

But the larger question is: why try to prove it thru the mortal means of men?

Like my whole rant says: don't have God play by the rules of the day if it's truly God.

Why religion changes with the times is beyond me...if it's true.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 AM   #92
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 95
The Irish is on a distinguished road
Default

You ask: "why try to prove it thru the mortal means of men?" We try it because God is an invention of mortal men. God and religion was created by primitive men who were trying to explain the things that were going on around them that they didn't understand, like natural disasters, and diseases.

You still don't seem to get it catman, the bible isn't credible. The bible was written by a bunch of men who knew what the people of the time wanted to hear. Parts of it may be based on fact, but other parts may just be an author knowing what the population would want to read, and knowing what would make him the most amount of money.

Religions work, because most of they say can't be proven, or they don't what them to be proven one way or the other. They work because people have to have faith that what they are hearing is true. They have to believe that the things that happen in the bible actually happened. They have to believe the Son of God died and rose from the dead, so that they too may one day go to heaven. It doesn't matter if it is historically factual that Jesus rose from the dead. It only matters that they have faith that they will go to heaven if they do what is outlined in the bible.

Proving anything only hurts religions, because if it is proven as actually happening, then there is no reason to believe. Proving it as not actually have happened destroys religions completely because everything they believed was a lie.

The point is religions work better when you don't know what acutally happened.
__________________
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 AM   #93
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008
 
Richard the Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,869
Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default

Point 1: It's nonsensical to attempt to prove theological relevation which demands the faith of its adherents. If it could be proven, it wouldn't require faith at all, and there would be no point.

Point 2: It's just as stupid to argue against religion. Your arrogance may be therapuetic, but it's really tiresome, immature and just a waste of everyone's time.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #94
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

The thing is, Irish, I know what happened.
Perhaps I should have made the point by saying that Simon Greenleaf studied all of the testimonies, eliminated everything that would have been inadmissable and determined, through his legal expertise (along with that of his study group -- also made up of legal experts) and determined that the resurrection was as well documented as any event you want to mention in history. Lets leave it at that. You don't want to believe it, but have no legal reason to not do so. I accept it as fact.
Thje Bible is just as credible as any other book written about that era in man's existance, especially the New Testamant.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 AM   #95
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008
 
Richard the Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,869
Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default

But why would God offer proof of his own existence when he demands the faith of his believers (not "knowers")?
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #96
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Good point. The thing with believing is that you believe before you see. Then things make sense to Christians.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #97
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008
 
Richard the Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,869
Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default

I think that's right.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 AM   #98
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 95
The Irish is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The thing is, Irish, I know what happened.
Perhaps I should have made the point by saying that Simon Greenleaf studied all of the testimonies, eliminated everything that would have been inadmissable and determined, through his legal expertise (along with that of his study group -- also made up of legal experts) and determined that the resurrection was as well documented as any event you want to mention in history. Lets leave it at that. You don't want to believe it, but have no legal reason to not do so. I accept it as fact.
Thje Bible is just as credible as any other book written about that era in man's existance, especially the New Testamant.
Okay, and there is evidence showing that vikings discovered North America almost 500 years before Columbus did, but no one is willing to accept that. Even though they have no legal reason not to.

You can't know that the resurrection happened, that would mean you have proof, and you just agreed that God would not offer proof. You can believe it all you like, and no one is stopping you from doing that. I am saying that the resurrection can not be proven solely on the evidence from the bible. I choose to accept that the story of the resurrection was written to give people hope that one day they could enter heaven, and, until I am shown otherwise, that it is not based on fact.
__________________
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #99
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
Point 2: It's just as stupid to argue against religion. Your arrogance may be therapuetic, but it's really tiresome, immature and just a waste of everyone's time.
Montro,

What if I believe that religion is destructive, and preventing our world from moving to an age of reason?

Religion has been protected from any criticism for too long... As soon as someone criticizes religion, those folks play the "faith" card... "You can't question faith."

Well, a large group of rationalists and humanists have decided that religion is fair game. Just like any other theory, it should be scrutinized thoroughly.

We do ourselves a disservice to give religion a free pass.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #100
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Fresh, if you're going to quote someone, why answer someone else's questions?
Irish, perhaps when the rapture takes place, you'll understand.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #101
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fresh, if you're going to quote someone, why answer someone else's questions?
I addressed Montro's comment... He said it was a "waste of time" to argue against religion. I explained that it is not a waste of time. What are you talking about?

Quote:
Irish, perhaps when the rapture takes place, you'll understand.
:lol:

Yes, when God descends from heaven and takes all of the good Christians to heaven and sends all of the mud people (Jews, Muslims, athiest, agnostics, Buddhists, Hindus - the majority of the world's population) straight to hell to burn for eternity!

What if you're wrong catman? What if you picked the wrong fairy tale? What if Allah is the real God?
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #102
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

I can't even prove that my body exists outside of representation; God can be second on the list of things to prove (but number one in my heart ).
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #103
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
I can't even prove that my body exists outside of representation; God can be second on the list of things to prove (but number one in my heart ).
"I think, therefore I exist."
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #104
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
"I think, therefore I exist."
That's as far as you can go. The rest is faith or ignorance.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #105
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

True... I suppose
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BCS Rejects Playoff Proposal themush College Football 10 08-03-2008 11:03 PM
What do you guys think about this 6-team playoff proposal? govols College Football 20 12-02-2002 10:54 PM
Ha ha (NOT!) .... VERY funny, Patrick. lmanchur. The Lounge 10 07-04-2001 01:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.