Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Pete Carroll: Mirror Image of Bobby Petrino?

Bobby Petrino, of course, deserted a sinking NFL ship to return to the college game.

Hasn't Pete Carroll made the same cowardly voyage, in the opposite direction?

Carroll is battling Dan Gilbert for 2010 Schmuck of the Year in the sports world.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Acutally not that dissimilar to former USC coach John Robinson who won three Rose Bowls with three top two finishes in the rankings in his first four years only to see the program slip a bit his next three years prior to him jumping to the Rams.

It is tough to compare Carroll to Petrino simply because Petrino bolted due to the face that he realized he was not cut out to be a coach in the NFL.

Petrino is closer to Nick Saban who left a successful program at LSU to coach the Dolphins only to bolt for Alabama after having little success in Miami.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

So basically all college coaches are wimps who will bolt to any opportunity given at any sign that their perfect image might be tarnished and they will actually STRUGGLE?

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
Anthony

What adds to Carroll's aura of sleaziness is the fact that he has conveniently abandoned a college program that has been placed on probation and banned from appearing in bowl games.

Therefore, it would please me no end to see Carroll flop in Seattle - and if we make finishing last in the NFC West in 2010 the benchmark for flopping, it has a pretty good chance of happening, provided Sam Bradford proves to be the least bit precocious.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know how much of a flop that would really be though. I mean Seattle has an aging roster with lots of holes to fill.

If Hasselbeck goes down again wouldn't we pretty much expect them to only win four or five games next season?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

I kind of hope Seattle goes 0 and 16 and we get to watch Pete Carrol BOLT again.

Doub's right tho, the Seahawks have no shot at winning much more than 7 games this year, maybe 8, even if they had Vince Lombardi coaching that team.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Given that the 'Hawks gave him a five year deal worth $30 mil he ain't going anywhere until he gets fired.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
Anthony

Why did the Seahawks fire Jim Mora Jr. anyway?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Probably because Mora had no business getting the job in the first place. The only reason he got the job was he was hand picked by Holmgren. It is not that uncommon to see a coach get canned when a team makes significant front office changes the way the Seahawks did this off season. Without Holmgren around Mora probably lost his only real advocate.

The fact the team lost its last four games, including Tampa Bay, by an average score of 30 to 9 after starting the year 5-7 probably did not do him any favors either. The team basically quit on him the last month of the season.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #10
Anthony

Coaches that have led an NFL team to the Final Four (as Mora did with the '04 Falcons) don't exactly grow on trees, you know - plus they help with, or at least not hurt with, matters like season ticket sales, etc.

Isn't this a large part of why the Rooney Rule is so controversial?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yet, you will readily fire Andy Reid who has had far more success than Mora ever did.

The thing with Mora is the Falcons had one great year and two overwhelmingly mediocre seasons. He has not done himself any favors by implying his dream job is at the University of Washington. As I said it did not look as though he had a lot of backers in the locker room given how poorly the team played down the stretch last season.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
jneuberger
Rookie Player

jneuberger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Bobby Petrino, of course, deserted a sinking NFL ship to return to the college game.

Hasn't Pete Carroll made the same cowardly voyage, in the opposite direction?

Carroll is battling Dan Gilbert for 2010 Schmuck of the Year in the sports world.
Couldn't be more wrong, Anthony.

Say you have two people...call them Persons A and B.

Person A takes a job for high money, finds out in a few months he hates the job and isn't the right man for it. His family hates their new home, so is willing to take a pay cut to move to a position that fits him better, despite the bad timing and heat he would take, which he does in doses.

Person B has a job for a decent amount of years and has achieved many successes in it. However, he does this while not following the bylaws that he is responsible for with his job. Knowing that if he's caught, he will be reprimanded, or worse, fired in shame, he scrambles for a new job before the storm arrives and leaves for a great position, leaving his employer stuck to pick up the pieces.

Easy to see that Person A is Petrino and Person B is Carroll. The difference is this. What Bobby Petrino did has been done millions of times in the working world and will be done numerous times today. If people are unhappy with their jobs, they're going to leave. Now, BP caught tremendous fire because Arthur Blank came on the night before and said he was staying. Sure, if (and I say if because Arthur Blank isn't Mr. Clean here) Petrino said he'd stay, that wasn't the smartest move (Nick Saban's remarks were MUCH more blatant). But then again, if you have two options, told your current boss that you'd stay, go back home and realize just how upset your family was about that decision (as Petrino's was), would you go back in and change your mind the next day? Whose loyalty counts more....your wife and kids, or your boss?

Then look at Carroll...his intentions were clear. He knew for the sake of his career he had to get when the getting was good. The difference though is this: did Petrino cheat? did Petrino break thousands of rules? No. Carroll left because the writing was on the wall. Petrino left because he realized where he belonged, and it wasn't Atlanta. You can villify Bobby Petrino all you want (though I'd say you'd be hypocritical for doing it), but his intentions compared to Carroll, who left USC in absolute disgust, are like apples to oranges...heck, apples to hot dogs...not even close.
jneuberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneuberger View Post
Couldn't be more wrong, Anthony.

Say you have two people...call them Persons A and B.

Person A takes a job for high money, finds out in a few months he hates the job and isn't the right man for it. His family hates their new home, so is willing to take a pay cut to move to a position that fits him better, despite the bad timing and heat he would take, which he does in doses.

Of course you conveniently omit the part that Person A's first-string quarterback got injured in an exhibition game and he simply quit like the coward that he is because he kept picking up the newspaper every Tuesday and saw that his team wasn't favored to win.

Quote:
Person B has a job for a decent amount of years and has achieved many successes in it. However, he does this while not following the bylaws that he is responsible for with his job. Knowing that if he's caught, he will be reprimanded, or worse, fired in shame, he scrambles for a new job before the storm arrives and leaves for a great position, leaving his employer stuck to pick up the pieces.

Easy to see that Person A is Petrino and Person B is Carroll. The difference is this. What Bobby Petrino did has been done millions of times in the working world and will be done numerous times today. If people are unhappy with their jobs, they're going to leave. Now, BP caught tremendous fire because Arthur Blank came on the night before and said he was staying. Sure, if (and I say if because Arthur Blank isn't Mr. Clean here) Petrino said he'd stay, that wasn't the smartest move (Nick Saban's remarks were MUCH more blatant). But then again, if you have two options, told your current boss that you'd stay, go back home and realize just how upset your family was about that decision (as Petrino's was), would you go back in and change your mind the next day? Whose loyalty counts more....your wife and kids, or your boss?

Then look at Carroll...his intentions were clear. He knew for the sake of his career he had to get when the getting was good. The difference though is this: did Petrino cheat? did Petrino break thousands of rules? No. Carroll left because the writing was on the wall. Petrino left because he realized where he belonged, and it wasn't Atlanta. You can villify Bobby Petrino all you want (though I'd say you'd be hypocritical for doing it), but his intentions compared to Carroll, who left USC in absolute disgust, are like apples to oranges...heck, apples to hot dogs...not even close.

Cheat? Give me a break. In the nit-picking world of the NCAA, taking a player to McDonald's and buying him a 9-piece Chicken McNuggets is "cheating."

Even the Soviet Union gave its student-athletes - such as its hockey team - a cash stipend. So the NCAA is even worse than the Communists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Yet, you will readily fire Andy Reid who has had far more success than Mora ever did.

The thing with Mora is the Falcons had one great year and two overwhelmingly mediocre seasons. He has not done himself any favors by implying his dream job is at the University of Washington. As I said it did not look as though he had a lot of backers in the locker room given how poorly the team played down the stretch last season.

But by today's standards, Reid has been no more "successful" than, say, Rod Marinelli was with the Lions; and you know that my own personal objections to Fat Boy have completely different origins from that.

As for Mora: Fire him after one year, in which his starting quarterback missed how many games?

Last edited by Anthony; 08-19-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Cheat? Give me a break. In the nit-picking world of the NCAA, taking a player to McDonald's and buying him a 9-piece Chicken McNuggets is "cheating."
This is like defending or excusing a murder because the penalties for jaywalking are too tough.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
This is like defending or excusing a murder because the penalties for jaywalking are too tough.

Don't get me wrong, I think Carroll is a total pinhead - but equating anything that went on at USC with murder?

And re your sig: I hope you're going to try and become the 2010 Pointspread Champion. I want full fields in all the pick'ems this year - and those who don't do their part are gonna have the man in my avatar coming after them!