Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road
Default McCain STILL doesn't know who we're fighting

AMMAN, Jordan, March 18 -- Sen. John McCain, in the midst of a trip to the Middle East that he hoped would help burnish his foreign policy expertise, incorrectly asserted Tuesday that Iran is training and supplying al-Qaeda in Iraq, confusing the Sunni insurgent group with the Shiite extremists who U.S. officials believe are supported by their religious brethren in the neighboring country.

The mistake, which he quickly corrected after a brief whisper from a colleague, was an unwelcome stumble as McCain (Ariz.), the all-but-certain Republican nominee for the White House, spends seven days in the Middle East and Europe.

His campaign asserts that McCain's decades of foreign policy experience make him the candidate best equipped to lead the country in a time of international peril, and he has staked his bid in particular on his deep knowledge of the military and political situation in Iraq, frequently mocking his Democratic rivals for what he describes as a naive desire to pull troops out quickly. He is spending two days in Israel after 48 hours in Iraq, where he met with top Iraqi officials and U.S. military officers to assess progress there.

Standing with two of his Senate colleagues at the Citadel, a set of ancient ruins in downtown Amman, McCain told reporters that he is concerned about Iran's influence in Iraq and cited a recently discovered cache of weapons that he said could be particularly lethal in being used to target Americans in the country.

"We continue to be concerned about Iranian [operatives] taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back," he said in comments after meeting with Jordan's King Abdullah II on Tuesday afternoon.

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it is "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran; that's well known. And it's unfortunate."

A few moments later, Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.), standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in his ear. McCain then said, "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031802973.html

It may sound like something small, but it is a VERY BIG deal to know that Iran would never train al-Qaida. Why wasn't any attention paid to this by the "liberal" media? I guess they were too busy debating whether or not Barack flipped off Hillary. Again, the media focusing on the stuff that really matters
Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

What do you expect, Deavo? The media has not done much actual "reporting" in a long time.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

The media? Shouldn't a potential president get his information from other sources than the media?

Again, this is the major difference between "liberals" (or Democrats) and "conservatives" (or republicans) in modern politics. George W. Bush was asked about Sunnis and Shi'ites in iraq, to which he responded, "I thought they were all Muslims."

Ethnocentric, arrogant, and ignorant of foreign cultures is no way to lead the free world. When you don't understand who you are fighting, you CAN NOT be successful.

Not only should the president know "minor" details like the one mentioned in this news story, he/she should be AN EXPERT on the middle east. You know, someone like Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton - "book readers."

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Fresh, I have less respect for either of those people's foreign affairs expertise than McCain's, and I have little respect for McCain's. I think Jesse Ventura was right on Larry King Live a few nights back when he said people would vote for none of the above more than any of these people. I plan to.
When you mention arrogance, you have hit Hillary right on the head. Arrogance is her middle name.

Catman
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think Jesse Ventura was right on Larry King Live a few nights back when he said people would vote for none of the above more than any of these people. I plan to.
Well, I wish I had wings, but I don't.

You have to play the hand you are dealt, and we were dealt these choices. Vote for the government hating Paul and throw away your vote, it will only help the democrats (and the country).

Think Fresh.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Fresh, as I have said, I am done voting for the "lesser of 2 evils". None of the 3 stooges impresses me much and none deserves my vote.

Catman
Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

That's your right. And I thank you for your service to the democratc party and this country.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

If you honestly think the Democratic Party candidates are worth the time it takes to mention their names, you can have the results. I will find an honest candidate to vote for and leave the 3 stooges to people that refuse to think for themselves.

Catman
Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

McCain is already admittedly weak on the economy, and now he keeps making foreign policy gaffs ... sigh. He's Bush, Jr. We don't need 4 more years of the same policies.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I agree, but the alternatives are not very good. As Jesse Ventura said, many Americans will vote for "none of the above" this fall. I plan to be among those.

Catman