Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Blast from the past

All this past hype had me looking up a view of what the Celtics did in a 1986 3 game playoff series against the Bulls & MJ. The Celts swept them in 3. Even with a poor team & being keyed on, MJ refused to go easy.

Game 1: 49 points

Game 2: 63 points
"I would never have called him the greatest player I'd ever seen if I didn't mean it," said Larry Bird after yesterday's exhilarating, stimulating, emotional, exhausting and altogether brilliant contest. "It's just God disguised as Michael Jordan."

The Celts refused to see it again & held him to only 19 in the 3rd & deciding game.

Boston Celtics

The 1986 Boston Celtics team, which finished the regular season 67-15, is generally considered to be the best of Larry Bird's career. Under head coach K.C. Jones, the 1986 Celtics were certainly the deepest team of Bird's career.

In addition to longtime teammates Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, Bird was joined on the front line by former NBA MVP Bill Walton. Despite a career plagued by a series of serious injuries to his knees, ankles and chiefly his feet, Walton would win the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award in 1986 appearing in a career high 80 games.

The backcourt was almost equally talented, led by defensive stopper Dennis Johnson and shooting guard Danny Ainge. Off the bench, the Celtics featured former All-Star Scott Wedman and recent acquisition (from the Indiana Pacers) Jerry Sichting.

Enjoy...
Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

That was probably the highlight of the playoffs that year. Lakers went down 4-1 to Houston in the Western Finals (no Bird-Magic Finals) and the Bucks beat Philly in 7 to prevent another classic Celtics-76ers Eastern Final.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

M.J., there will never be another. If there's one thing this year's Finals showed me, it's that Kobe doesn't belong in the same sentence. He couldn't take over and explode like M.J. did.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Kobe can take over and explode like MJ could. The big difference being that MJ could do it when it mattered the most while Kobe can only do it in a meaningless regular season game against someone like Golden State.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote