Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 01-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default A Few Thoughts On...

... some current events. I don't think any of them deserve their own thread, so I will just touch on them and you can respond to any of the ones you feel like.

-Barack Obama
The Washington Post wrote an article about how he has been open about the fact that he used cocaine in his teens. One radio host... not to mention any names (Shawn Hannity)... was bashing on him for this because he would be the first President (if elected) to have admitted to using cocaine.

I don't see the problem with this. As Hanity even said himself, Obama said that he is open about his previous cocaine use because he wants to show people in those kind of situations that they can rise up. Seriously... who cares if he used drugs in his teens? Not sure what that has to do with him now.

Personally, I think he seems like a good guy. He can write a book, which is a good sign. (Can Bush even read a book ) I think it would send a great message if we had a minority as president. Although I would rather see Powell (who will never run) be elected, Obama seems like he would be a good choice (so far.)

-Small government?
Republicans pride themselves in being for small government, but a recent poll found that more Americans think that the Democrats are the party that is for small government. I guess that the main thing Republicans have going for them is taxes and economic issues, but really when you just look at basic rights when it comes to small government, Democrats are the ones who side with small government. Wiretapping, the patriot act, even things the death penalty, I don't see how the republicans can be considered the small government people any more.

-Oprah
People blamed Oprah for starting a $40,000,000 school in Africa, when something like 30% of students will drop out of high school ever year in America. Oprah said though that kids can get an education in America if they want though.

First of all, how can you blame anyone for setting up a fourty million dollar school? Second of all, I think a nation in poverty could use a school like that a little more than America does.

Last edited by Ellis; 01-05-2007 at 06:11 AM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
-Barack Obama
The Washington Post wrote an article about how he has been open about the fact that he used cocaine in his teens. One radio host... not to mention any names (Shawn Hannity)... was bashing on him for this because he would be the first President (if elected) to have admitted to using cocaine.
I don't specifically question Obama Osama's cocaine use; if he wishes to admit it that may be a feather in his cap with his constituents; does he likewise condemn it (drug abuse)... if not, I plan to condemn him!

Quote:
-Small government?
Republicans pride themselves in being for small government, but a recent poll found that more Americans think that the Democrats are the party that is for small government.
First thing Peloisi will do is raise taxes/recommend additional spending (although this will be modified due to 2008 election planning)... incoming Democrat VA governor (Kaine): first think he proposed was to raise taxes...

Quote:
... I guess that the main thing Republicans have going for them is taxes and economic issues, but really when you just look at basic rights when it comes to small government, Democrats are the ones who side with small government. Wiretapping, the patriot act, even things the death penalty, I don't see how the republicans can be considered the small government people any more.
Due to war, deficit grew during current administration, but size of government did not leap up as you suggest; in fact, consolidation of various home security agencies into Homeland Security Department may eventually reduce government due to reduction in redundancy... Rumsfeld's overhaul of DoD will accomplish the same thing through the Services... what Federal Department did Bush expand?

Quote:
...-Oprah
People blamed Oprah for starting a $40,000,000 school in Africa, when something like 30% of students will drop out of high school ever year in America. Oprah said though that kids can get an education in America if they want though.

First of all, how can you blame anyone for setting up a fourty million dollar school? Second of all, I think a nation in poverty could use a school like that a little more than America does.
I admire Mrs. Winfrey's benevolence in Africa, in likewise manner as I admire Bill Gate's benevolence and charity in Africa... question is, should we, as Americans, make sure our yard is cared for before we fix up other yards? Not everyone in America is living in mansion, goes to bed with something in their stomach, or has health care... in fact... Oprah's charity is a smack in the head to everyone in the Gulf Coast... you know how many schools were destroyed in Katrina?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNet
in fact, consolidation of various home security agencies into Homeland Security Department may eventually reduce government due to reduction in redundancy
But it hasn't yet, and now we have a new Cabinet department with 170,000 employees.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
But it hasn't yet, and now we have a new Cabinet department with 170,000 employees.
Examine which agencies consolidated under the Homeland Security Department... many had redundant and/or duplicative support staffs... it makes good sense to put them all together... in fact, this Department had strong bi-partisan support... perhaps because of war... in any event... perhaps cut to it can be made when War on Terror concludes...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNet
Examine which agencies consolidated under the Homeland Security Department... many had redundant and/or duplicative support staffs... it makes good sense to put them all together... in fact, this Department had strong bi-partisan support... perhaps because of war... in any event... perhaps cut to it can be made when War on Terror concludes...
I never said I wasn't in favor of the consolidation of agencies, nor the formation of the Department of Homeland Security.

But, as of right now, a new Cabinet department (Cabinet being the key-word) under a Republican President with over 170,000 employees no longer affords the Republicans the opportunity to refer to themselves as the party of small-government (even if the creation of the department was supported by both Republicans and Democrats).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
But, as of right now, a new Cabinet department (Cabinet being the key-word) under a Republican President with over 170,000 employees no longer affords the Republicans the opportunity to refer to themselves as the party of small-government (even if the creation of the department was supported by both Republicans and Democrats).
I disagree... strongly... Bush has been unable to stick to purely Grand Old Party (GOP) Platform politics due to his engagement in war from the very first year of his administration... examine all Democrat and Republican presidents during wars; none fulfilled their domestic agendas and none applied specifically to their party's planks... the war takes center stage....

If 09/11/01 did not occur; Bush's pursuits would have been a totally different domestic agenda.... he may have axed the entire Social Sercurity federal apparatus and rebuilt it into a smaller, leaner, and more effective program and probably done the same at the IRS as he said in 1999... sadly the War on Terror meant a totally different focus...

The party of small government has always been the Republican party but that is dependant upon what is focus during administration... Reagan axed lots of stuff in government with Budget Director Stockman, but due to Cold War he actually had to increase the size of DoD... so his intent on reducing government, though achieved in some parts was offset in others...

Conversely, I have never heard of any Democrat, in either state or federal office, that cut anything... most if not all favor additional taxation and additional spending as a matter of rule despite what other focuses exist.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

BigBuddhaPup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet View Post
I disagree... strongly... Bush has been unable to stick to purely Grand Old Party (GOP) Platform politics due to his engagement in war from the very first year of his administration... examine all Democrat and Republican presidents during wars; none fulfilled their domestic agendas and none applied specifically to their party's planks... the war takes center stage....

If 09/11/01 did not occur; Bush's pursuits would have been a totally different domestic agenda.... he may have axed the entire Social Sercurity federal apparatus and rebuilt it into a smaller, leaner, and more effective program and probably done the same at the IRS as he said in 1999... sadly the War on Terror meant a totally different focus...

The party of small government has always been the Republican party but that is dependant upon what is focus during administration... Reagan axed lots of stuff in government with Budget Director Stockman, but due to Cold War he actually had to increase the size of DoD... so his intent on reducing government, though achieved in some parts was offset in others...

Conversely, I have never heard of any Democrat, in either state or federal office, that cut anything... most if not all favor additional taxation and additional spending as a matter of rule despite what other focuses exist.

Taxes and gov't rarely ever really get cut by republicans or democrats... the standard used to be that republicans would slow down growth on both front, and democrats would stick to status quo... that was the 70's politics...

In the 60's, JFK actually ran on a program of cutting taxes...republicans believed in the separation of church and state, republicans were actually libertarians back then...

The 80's brought Reaganomics, he spent us into record debt, while cutting social programs, and building up the military... what people don't seem to remember is that we were in a recession until 86... nvm... Reagan gets too much credit for military build destroying the Soviet Union... Oh well... GHW spent us into even higher debt because he didn't want to cut taxes, interest rates went up, recession came around, and GHW did raise taxes, and bye, bye, Georgie via bad fiscal policy...

In the 90's, Clinton shut down the gov't because a balanced budget was not passed... sounds pretty fiscally responsible...

Back to my point... the stereotypes just don't fit anymore... of course most of the time, they are at least a few decades off... Democrats platform is shrink the bureaucracy, and repeal tax cuts, do away with US Patriot Act and other presidental unconstitutional doings(very libertarian)... Republicans are the party in limbo at the moment, GW and his neo-con brethren have taken them so far away from their "supposed" values, they are still looking for themselves... I surmise there will be more and more distancing from the president by the Republican party in the coming days, especially next election... Flip flopping all the day long :lol: ....

:thumbup: Go Steelers....
"So it goes"
BigBuddhaPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup View Post
...Republicans are the party in limbo at the moment, GW and his neo-con brethren have taken them so far away from their "supposed" values, they are still looking for themselves....
  • Passed Late-Term Abortion Bill (check)
  • Encouraged Small Business with several key incentive programs (check)
  • Appointed Two Conservative Judges To Supreme Court (check)
  • Implemented values instruction in schools/worked with Church groups (check)
  • Implemented "No Child Left Behind" Education Testing Program (check)
  • Cut Taxes Every Year of Administration (check)
  • Proposed Privitization Option for Social Security (check)
  • Curtailed programs which infringe on Second Amendment (check)

Personally... I can't think of a single conservative and/or Republican party plank that the current administration has not satisified in some way...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet View Post
  • Passed Late-Term Abortion Bill (check)
  • Encouraged Small Business with several key incentive programs (check)
  • Appointed Two Conservative Judges To Supreme Court (check)
  • Implemented values instruction in schools/worked with Church groups (check)
  • Implemented "No Child Left Behind" Education Testing Program (check)
  • Cut Taxes Every Year of Administration (check)
  • Proposed Privitization Option for Social Security (check)
  • Curtailed programs which infringe on Second Amendment (check)

Personally... I can't think of a single conservative and/or Republican party plank that the current administration has not satisified in some way...
Late Term Abortion (with mother endangerment previso) was supported by both parties

Two conservative judges haven't done what was required of them - overturn Roe

Values instruction?

No Child Left Behind has been average at best, a big dollar waste at worst, Republicans are even slamming the program now...

Cut taxes... now that is seen for what it was... and fiscal conservatives are rumbling about the deficit...

Social Security initiative bombed...

What programs have been curtailed? Semi Automatic ban not enacted?

I can think of any true conservative that would be satisifed with this administration... this administration has messed with every facet of individual civil liberties, created huge bureaucracies, and huge deficits... there is nothing remotely republican about this administration...unless you consider him the new republican party, then I would suggest you change party...

"So it goes"
Old 01-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
... some current events. I don't think any of them deserve their own thread, so I will just touch on them and you can respond to any of the ones you feel like.

-Barack Obama

I don't see the problem with this. As Hanity even said himself, Obama said that he is open about his previous cocaine use because he wants to show people in those kind of situations that they can rise up. Seriously... who cares if he used drugs in his teens? Not sure what that has to do with him now.

Personally, I think he seems like a good guy. He can write a book, which is a good sign. (Can Bush even read a book ) I think it would send a great message if we had a minority as president. Although I would rather see Powell (who will never run) be elected, Obama seems like he would be a good choice (so far.)

-Small government?
Republicans pride themselves in being for small government, but a recent poll found that more Americans think that the Democrats are the party that is for small government. I guess that the main thing Republicans have going for them is taxes and economic issues, but really when you just look at basic rights when it comes to small government, Democrats are the ones who side with small government. Wiretapping, the patriot act, even things the death penalty, I don't see how the republicans can be considered the small government people any more.

-Oprah

Two presidents in a row using cocaine... my goodness...

It looks like tide has turned to the democrats being the small gov't, tax the wealthy, libertarian, do what you want with your body, party... funny how that happens with time...

I don't blame Oprah for helping anyone that is in need of help... I suppose we all are a bit nationalistic when it comes to help in our minds, help your own first mentality... but it is her money... I would like to see poverty in our own country addressed as well...

"So it goes"
Old 01-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Cure
Agnostic Cards fan

Cure is on a distinguished road

Sarcasm Buddha....sarcasm. I'm with ya. :thumbup:
Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Sarcasm Buddha....sarcasm. I'm with ya. :thumbup:

Sorry, Cure...my mind was in literal mode

"So it goes"
Old 01-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #13
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Another thread has turned into a war on terror debate?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #14
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

You can't have it both ways... you say the US hasn't been attacked domestically, then you say it is a global war... then there is less terrorism, but there are more terrorists in Iraq... then Iraq wasn't connected to 9/11... then terrorists, 9/11 and Iraq are all connected in "The War against Terrorism"...

Now, Clinton is to blame for 9/11? Here is where the current Al Queda group started, Afghanistan/Soviet War, we funded the Taliban to quell the Soviets... then we put bases in Saudi Arabia in the first Gulf War(a heresy to Al Queda)...that is where the current Al Queda terrorist group started...

The logic is null and void in your arguements...

"So it goes"
Old 01-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup View Post
You can't have it both ways... you say the US hasn't been attacked domestically, then you say it is a global war...
Suggest you study the art of war; go back and read about moving the "front" in any war...(Carl von Clausewitz) It is a key concept; a winning strategy... on 09/11/01 the fronts in the War on Terror were New York and Washington; Bush successfully moved the "fronts" to Afghanistan and Iraq... shrewd and clever move and I give him much kudos... so far (five years) he has prosecuted this war successfully, yielding relatively few casualties on our side (in comparison to other regional war loss of life) and in so doing has 100% prevented the enemy from striking us again...Along the way he has bagged an impressive list of terrorists who have met their end.... Surely Bush's successful military handling of this war will lend itself to a commendable listing in the Battlefield Campaign Series and I so await reading it in depth...