Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default UGA redeems themselves, beats down Auburn

Nearly perfect game today. Stafford showed what his potential may be (even though he had 2 fumbles), and the defense finally put pressure on the opposing QB. As much as I rip Richt, he made all the right calls today. UGA marched up and down the field at will, and I think they only punted once. Could have put up 40+, but Richt took the high road and ran clock, taking 3 straight knees inside Auburns 10 and turning the ball over on downs. Very impressive win for UGA today.

Auburn out of the SEC West. Where's Tigereyes when ya need him?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

How the **** did you get to a computer so soon after the game Mike? You should be drunk, naked and dancing in the streets. Then again, that's Monday-Friday for you I guess.

Congrats to the Bulldogs. Huge, uplifting win.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Sorry I've been away so long. Life and work have been absolutely insane over the last month or so. And I don't think I'll probably be back on for a length of time anytime soon... but I have a rant to make, and this looks like the best thread for it at present.

My rant is this: Bleep the SEC!!

I mean it. Can this conference get any MORE mediocre? Can they BE any more overrated?

For starters, Georgia (nothing personal, Mike) is the most mediocre seven win team in the nation.
And Auburn is an unmitigated disaster. Overrated from the word go, lucky to steal a game from LSU (steal in a good way, not a theivery way, btw, just for clarity's sake), obliterated not once, but TWICE on their home field. And somehow, someway, entered today ranked number five?!! Are you kidding me?!!
LSU is good, but hamstrung by slightly overwhelmed coaching. Too much has been made of their defense.
Tennessee, who I believed was very good, has gone on to pull pretty much what I expected tonight, trailing Arkansas by 3 TDs as I write. They have no spine without Ainge.
Arkansas somehow started the season outside the top 25 with Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Kentucky & South Carolina. They seem to be the absolute CLASS of the SEC, and by large margins, and still roam outside the Top 10. WTF?
And Florida. Ugh. Florida is the worst of the nation's one loss teams. Bar none. I don't think UF would stay on the field with ANY of the nation's other one-loss teams. ANY of them. Wake, WVU, UofL, Wisconsin, Southern Cal, Texas, Notre Dame would all chase Florida off the field in the first half. Florida's defense is good, but who have they played that has an offense? No one. Who have they shut out? Central "Take me to Div I-AA" Florida.
Come the hell on.

I keep hearing over and over how great the SEC is, how brutal the schedules are, yadda, yadda, how these teams "deserve" a NC shot. Bullcrap, I say. The conference is balanced, SEC ballwashers claim. Howabout the conference is complete crap! That might explain why the conference has no one undefeated, and can't finish the season with an undefeated team. Balance does not mean media favorite Florida can possibly get away with beating a barely better than average South Carolina team on its own field. Balance is struggling early and pulling away, if you're all you're supposed to be. But, UF plain old isn't what they're advertised to be. Arkansas will DESTROY the Gators in the SEC title game. Three TDS, potentially.

And, can Auburn please leave the top ten? Please. They completely don't deserve to be ranked in the top 15. Anyone who loses on their home field by 14 or more points twice in one season probably shouldn't be considered a national contender for anything. Except, perhaps, overrated whiner.
Tuberville whines and complains that he needs a playoff to have a chance at the national championship. His crocodile tears are presented to disguise teh fact that he plain and simple can't coach his team to win the games on his schedule.
What a creep. I sympathized with him when Auburn flirted with Petrino a couple years back, but maybe the U was right. He'll never win the games when he needs to win them. Why shoudl you give him more opportunities to lose games he needs to win?

Okay. Rant done.
Sorry for the dine and dash, but I have other stuff on my plate, but since it's been awhile since I've posted, I have a great deal of frustration lifted by letting this go.

Way to go, Dawgs. Maybe they'll actually be pretty good again in a year or two, eh, Mike?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'm not so sure about Georgia as the most mediocre seven-win team. How about Penn State? The offense has been downright sad against everybody except Temple. I guess the only thing PSU has on Georgia is four "quality" losses compared to the Dawgs losing to Vandy and Kentucky.

I think hands down Arkansas is the best team in the SEC right now. They run teams into the ground and have a very good defense. I've been on the Hawgs bandwagon for awhile. Looks like I'll have some more company after they finish ambushing Tennessee tonight.

Boise State doesn't deserve a BCS bid. Barely got by San Jose State tonight. Sorry, far more deserving major conference teams out there.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Dave:

Since Buckeye uses Sagarin SOS to make his point, so will I:

Florida - 15

West Virginia - 55

Also, you rant about Florida only shutting out Central Florida this year. That's true, but how many teams did WV shut out? That's right: NONE! They even gave up 3 points to an actual I-AA school, Eastern Washington (is that even a REAL school?). Oh yeah, and WV has only played one ranked opponent this year and gave up a whopping 44 points to them!!! Talk about a joke of a team! I can't wait for Rutgers to DESTROY WV on Dec 2. At that time they will probably be undefeated and STILL won't be considered for the BCS championship game because the conference they are in is a joke.......
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post

Way to go, Dawgs. Maybe they'll actually be pretty good again in a year or two, eh, Mike?
I sorta see them like Tennessee last year Dave. Hopefully we can get a little better results than the Vols have gotten this year. They have been putrid up to this point. Losing to Vandy and UK in the same season, then deciding to show up and play against Auburn. :thumbdown:

I do sorta agree w/your points on the SEC. The conference is not really looking great this year, and not one team has looked dominant from start to finish. I am secretly pulling for Arkansas, and McFadden is a beast.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't call this redemption Mike...at least in the eyes of an outsider like myself. You aren't Northwestern and just upset Ohio State. Georgia football means SEC championship contender as well as national championship contender...every year.

That's how I feel about it but I'm not one of you guys so....

Alex...

PSU is 7-4. Their four losses came to teams who are currently a combined 41-2. Georgia has nothing on them. The Dawgs beat a team who loses home games by 20 points on a regular basis (Auburn). Big deal.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess the only thing PSU has on Georgia is four "quality" losses compared to the Dawgs losing to Vandy and Kentucky.
Hey now! Kentucky is a bowl team officially, and will be 7-4 going in Knoxville in the final week, so that loss isn't that bad for Georgia if you discount the whole history thing.

Georgia certainly redeemed themselves by ruining Auburn's BCS hopes this weekend. I have to think losing to Kentucky the week prior embarrassed and motivated them. Speaking of Kentucky, we should have a biggest surprises thread and include them. 6-4 with Louisiana-Monroe up, so seven wins with the final opponent being Tennessee in Knoxville. This is a team that hasn't been to a bowl since 1999 and won four games in the last two *years*. Our defense sucks, but our offense is exceptional. Andre Woodson threw for nearly 500 yards against Vandy!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:21 AM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
Dave:

Since Buckeye uses Sagarin SOS to make his point, so will I:

Florida - 15

West Virginia - 55

Also, you rant about Florida only shutting out Central Florida this year. That's true, but how many teams did WV shut out? That's right: NONE! They even gave up 3 points to an actual I-AA school, Eastern Washington (is that even a REAL school?). Oh yeah, and WV has only played one ranked opponent this year and gave up a whopping 44 points to them!!! Talk about a joke of a team! I can't wait for Rutgers to DESTROY WV on Dec 2. At that time they will probably be undefeated and STILL won't be considered for the BCS championship game because the conference they are in is a joke.......
First, corrections:
WV allowed 7 points to Eastern Washington, not 3.
While Maryland was unranked at the time of the meeting, the Terps are presently #21 in the AP and USA Today polls, while ranking #19 in the BCS, fwiw. So, WV has played two ranked opponents.

Second:
If Florida could hold UofL to fewer than 50 points, I'd be stunned. UF hasn't seen, nor will they see one till the SEC title game, an offense actually capable of scoring more than 24 points on a regular basis.

Third:
Rutgers will lose to WV, possibly by as many as 3 TDs.

Fourth:
I never claimed the Mountaineers had the world's greatest D. With the exception of a five minute spiral of despair at the beginning of the third quarter v UofL, all was well in that game. Sure, the D couldn't make a stop when they needed it, and that was surely a point of frustration in MountaineerNation, but we're also absolutely certain that on neutral ground, and definitively at home, we'd have gone on to win by at least four points, maybe as many as two TDs.
Did you watch the Rutgers-UofL game? Rutgers was by no means the better team, but they had the emotion of their stadium literally will them to a victory. UofL had the same thing in their favor v. WV. (That and some disorientation on offense when Slaton left the game for a time, which, btw, they eventually got over.)
WV will put up thirty-five easily on Rutgers, and as I noted, will likely win by two TDs.

Fifth:
I'm not interested in schedule rankings based on whatever Jeff Sagarin bases them on. I'm interested in reality, and each week, the reality I see is that the SEC is overrated, is littered with HORRIBLE offenses which prop up their defensive rankings.
It's worth noting that I'm not here suggesting the Big East is better than the SEC. I AM suggesting, however, that the SEC is overrated on the whole, and that the best teams in the Pac Ten, the Big Ten, the Big 12 and the Big East would likely smoke most of the SEC.
I'd be afraid of Arkansas, if I thought Arkansas's D was legitimate against real offenses, but I'm not sure they are. They're a good, strong team, but in the same way that Rutgers is.

Sixth:
UF would enjoy playing WV. They might actually be able to score 20 points on our barely-out-of-high-school defense. But, it wouldn't matter, because WV would put up 42 or more on UF.

Seventh:
I have two gripes with my team: they play shoddily on D and they commit a decade's worth of penalties each week. Still, they whip everyone that they should, and were probably two turnovers away from beating UofL on their home field. Sure, wooda/cooda/shooda, but do you mean to tell me that you're happy with a one-point victory over a terrible South Carolina team ON YOUR OWN FIELD?
Gimme a break.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:34 AM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I'm not Nostradamus so I won't say that WV will beat Rutgers, but I like their chances. Their performance against Louisville was more of an aberration as opposed to how they usually play. I would call six fumbles (or whatever it was) an off-night. If not for that bad night everyone's talkin' about how awesome WV is right now. I have the Mountaineers currently at #3, which is really more of an indictment of other teams' flaws than it is praise for WV.

And Sue, you'd better hope the Gators give up zilch against Western Carolina this weekend...

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
vipendacsh
Sports Enthusiast

vipendacsh is on a distinguished road
Default mount

wow mountaneer dave i read the first 3 lines of your reply and i know what you're saying with the SEC and all and exactly where you're coming from.....West Virginia fans.....of course you think they're overrated.....they're *over*rated* you..hahaha.
i guess we'll get to see in the future, i heard they are playing home-n-home against Auburn in 07-08-09. looking forward to seeing the tigers smash the mountaneers....happy holidays.
vipendacsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
vipendacsh
Sports Enthusiast

vipendacsh is on a distinguished road
Default moutaneer dave, hesuuus chrissst you're a crazed man

i'm not gonna say Florida has an elite offense. in fact i'll go the completely opposite way and say i think chris leak blows, he doesn't preform consistantly and chokes in big moments. but if you're telling me that they couldn't do the same exact thing UofL did against WV you've fallen off your horse. WV has teh worst defense in the top-25; UofL-their ONLY ranked opponent walked through arm tackles and a ****ty defensive system all day. Sean Salisbury brought up a very valid point in the UofL game i paraphrase, "they play that system because they lack talent, they play that weird ass defense with all those gimmicks because they lack players that can make plays." ty sean....

i don't want to hear about WV playing 2 ranked teams. At this point maryland has won 5 straight 6 point or less games all against the mediocre ACC. maryland is ranked by default that the ACC sucks PERIOD.

that's like saying USC has beaten 3 ranked teams...tale of 2 different teams, arkansas was a completely different team at the time without either mcfadden(RB-injury) or casey dick (QB-benched). and oregon wouldn't have been a ranked team either had they not been aided by officials in OU win.

And don't tell me the SEC doesn't have any elite offenses, arkansas has put up BIG numbers for 7 straight weeks and have the nations best running back (Mcfadden). Tennessee had the best offense in the nation before the nations best quarterback (Ainge) was injured. so shove it down your glory hole their are good offenses in the SEC to test some of the good defenses.

WV has NO arguement, they've beaten ZERO quality teams nuff said...
vipendacsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
For starters, Georgia (nothing personal, Mike) is the most mediocre seven win team in the nation.
Apparently you haven't seen Kansas State play this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
the SEC is overrated on the whole, and that the best teams in the Pac Ten, the Big Ten, the Big 12 and the Big East would likely smoke most of the SEC.
Would you really rank Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas A&M ahead of Florida, Arkansas, Auburn and LSU?

And then, when looking at the mediocre clubs for both conferences this season, would you really rank Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech ahead of Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama?

I would hope the answer to both of those questions would be no.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #14
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Dave:

First: Correction to your correction - three internet sites have reported the score of the WV/Eastern Washington game as 52-3...

Second:

The Gators have given up an average of 13.3 points a game so far this season against some tough teams. By the same token you could also say that Louisville hasn't seen a decent defense all season. Oh, and BTW, Florida has played teams that ARE capable of scoring more than 24 points a game on a consistent basis. One example:

Tennessee - 35 points on Cal
31 points on Air Force
33 points on Marshall
41 points on Memphis
51 points on Georgia
31 points on South Carolina
24 points on LSU

Georgia has also scored more than 24 points in half of their games. Sorry, that's all the research I feel like doing right now, but you get the point.

Third:

I'm interested in the Sagarin SOS rating because it makes your opinion that Florida being the worst one-loss team as totally uninformed. They have had a VERY tough schedule up until now, tougher than WV that's for sure. Yes, their offense is not explosive as other teams are, but so what? They do what it takes to win, and that's all that matters. IMO, you don't have to beat everyone by 5 touchdowns and score a minimum of 42 points a game to be a great team.......

Oh, and your claim that the best of the other conferences would "Smoke" most of the SEC is a ridiculous claim & you know it, especially the Big 12 & Big East.

Fourth:

UF would totally shut down Slaton & Co. Dominant Defenses beat Untested Offenses every day of the week........

Fifth:

HECK NO I'm not happy with a 1-point victory of South Carolina at home! And you are right: Arkansas is probably going to beat the Gators in the SEC Championship game. And I definitely don't think the Gators should even be considered for the BCS title game. As much as it pains me to admit it, I think the loser of the OSU/Michigan game should still meet the winner in the championship game. Or USC, which will have a much tougher schedule the rest of the way, should get in only if they run the table the rest of the season.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Good to hear the reality of the situation from ya Sue. Maybe you should be an AD at an SEC school so you guys can play someone.

FSU...yeah that ain't Florida's fault. Western Carolina though? And they are playing 'em on the same day as UM-OSU and Cal-USC? Who ya got runnin' the show down there? I think the timing of the scheduling is going to factor in as much as the strength of it...at least in the human polls.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote