Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 01-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road
Default Michael Moore is disgusting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q0HwnWbFjI
Old 01-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

One of the things in life that makes me feel like an alien walking among earthlings is the show Family Guy. I absolutely hate it. Nothing on it is funny to me! Nothing! And everyone loves it. I can't find one person who agrees with me on this. The jokes are so dumbed down its ridiculous. South Park has the dumb jokes too, but with South Park, there is at least some irony, wit and edge, which Family Guy completely lacks. Southpark and the Simpsons are a different class. Okay, that ends the Family Guy rant. It had to be done. Be gentle with me.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Ricky, have you seen the South Park where Cartmen tries to get rid of Family Guy? They do a great job of breaking it down. I love they rag on their own show too... when that guy picks up Stan for a ride he says it best "I like shows that have no meaning and just make you laugh (reffering to FG)... unlike other cartoons that are funny but have some stupid political meaning (referring to SP)"
It just dumb humor... IMO if something makes you smile or laugh, its great. It doesn't always need a story. Just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid View Post
One of the things in life that makes me feel like an alien walking among earthlings is the show Family Guy. I absolutely hate it. Nothing on it is funny to me! Nothing! And everyone loves it. I can't find one person who agrees with me on this. The jokes are so dumbed down its ridiculous. South Park has the dumb jokes too, but with South Park, there is at least some irony, wit and edge, which Family Guy completely lacks. Southpark and the Simpsons are a different class. Okay, that ends the Family Guy rant. It had to be done. Be gentle with me.
Amen. I agree with you, I don't understand what the big deal about that show is either.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Ellis,
Do you like South Park or Simpsons?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Ellis,
Do you like South Park or Simpsons?
South Park: I watched the hockey episode out of curiosity since I played hockey when I was young myself. I thought it was great. Then I watched the Warcraft episode and that was great also. Other than those two episodes, I have never seen any South Park episodes. Although I enjoyed those two episodes, from the short parts I have seen in other episodes, I don't plan on watching much of next season.

Simpsons: I will watch the reruns when nothing else is on. It is a funny show, but not great.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Boston, I haven't gotten to see that one, although I want to. I've missed a lot of the newer episodes, but plan on catching the re-runs sooner or later on Comedy Central.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

The hockey one is so funny. I love when they start playing Song Two by the Blur, and none of the kids are able to skate. And it puts those obsesive, loser sports parents in their place who are trying to live through their kids. That's why its the best, IMO. Its not only funny, but it is usually pretty good commentary on society, and its usually true, which makes it even funnier.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I can agree on Family Guy to a degree. I loved the first run of the show before it got canceled. But, since FOX has brought it back for a second run it has not been nearly as good.

I like to watch South Park when I get a chance. The thing I love about Matt and Trey is they don't care who they piss off. They are definitely equal opportunity offenders. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut and Team America are just outrageously funny movies.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid View Post
Boston, I haven't gotten to see that one, although I want to. I've missed a lot of the newer episodes, but plan on catching the re-runs sooner or later on Comedy Central.
Let me try to get you a link... because it is a riot. You would LOVE it... I won't blow it for you, but the "writers" of Family Guy (according to SP) will have you in tears!! :thumbup:

EDIT: Here you go. Its two episodes 1003 and 1004.

EDIT... ok here it is. Sorry.. Episode one is in 3 parts
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJmlBIlNfXA
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAk2q...elated&search=
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NABUj...elated&search=

Episode 2 - http://www.yourtvl[/QUOTE]inks.com/s...n10/s10e4.html

The scene I was talking about earlier:
Quote:
Kyle: Thanks a lot for the ride.
Trucker: Ey, it's the least I could do. I hope you succeed, kid. I really don't wanna see Family Guy go off the air. I love that show!
Kyle: I'll do everything I can.
Trucker: I mean, I know it's just joke after joke, but I like that. At least it doesn't get all preachy and up its own ass with messages, you know?

Last edited by boston_aloha; 01-13-2007 at 03:15 AM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:46 AM   #11
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Haha! Genius. Thanks, boston. :lol:
Old 01-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Family Guy was good when it started, but it's so predictable now that it's not quite as good. I also never gave Family Guy any credit because it didn't break any new ground. The simpsons and SP were revolutionary ideas, even outside of just being animated. But Family guy seems like it was deliberately copied off the simpsons (mom, dad, son, daughter, baby, suburban house), and just made "edgier" with the jokes.

I have watched South Park off and on since it's inception. It's the perfect blend of completely wrong and over-the-top with the innocence of the children going through it all. Despite being VERY tongue-in-cheek about it, about 95% of the episodes DO end with a moral monologue by one of the kids. It's the creators telling you, hey, after all the sick humor and jokes, here is what bothers us as human beings. It's so strange, but it always makes me think about the message, despite being a completely absurd show.

If you look up ANY south park episode, there is one called "Kenny Dies" about stem cells. It's has some serious wrong stuff in it, but it's the funniest thing I have ever seen. It's when cartman goes to congress to lift the stemcell ban to save kenny. "heat of the moment". my god, please tell me someone has seen that one.

keeping on the animation tip, i will offer a show that i think only my little brother and I like out of the whole planet: king of the hill. people just loathe this show. you have to watch a few to really "get" it, but after you learn the characters and their personalities and flaws, the more you watch, the more enjoyable it becomes, just a random thought. also, one of my buddies dad's IS hank hill incarnate, so it always makes me laugh when he talks. "dangit, bobby!"