Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default NYJ Propose new Stadium

Jets' plan meets some fan resistance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The New York Jets unveiled their plan for a $1.2 billion stadium on Manhattan's West Side, complete with a retractable dome and seating for 85,000 fans.

The proposed facility is a key part of the city's bid for the 2012 Olympics.

According to Jets president Jay Cross, the new facility would host four major rock concerts per year, along with 10 football games and more than 150 other events. The stadium would also allow the city to compete as a possible host for the NCAA Final Four.

As he showed off the plans Friday, Cross said the new stadium would not cause traffic jams in the already-crowded streets around the Lincoln Tunnel. The stadium would not come with any parking facilities, meaning no tailgating for the Jets fans who currently arrive early at Giants Stadium. Cross estimated that 70 percent of fans would take mass transit to the team's dream dome.

The proposal was quickly criticized by neighborhood residents, who questioned the validity of the team's claims.

credit-
The Jets' current lease at Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands in New Jersey expires in 2008.

hahaha jets fan won't be able to tailgate anymore. sounds like a nice place. i'd be great to go to the final four i'm all for this thing.espn.com
Old 03-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Another dome ?

I thought we were going in the RIGHT direction with more open field stadiums and grass, now this. Yeah, I understand you need the dome to get the Olympics, but I am leary of this. If the policy for the Jets games becomes we will NEVER put the roof up, I'm fine with it, but I'm sure once in gets below 75 degrees they will put it up cause someone might get a sniffle....boo hoo.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:52 AM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Hey, but it gets one of the NY teams back in NY, and in all honesty, I'm for that. At least play in the gd state you claim to be in...!!

Dave
Old 03-03-2003, 03:35 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Dave, your mention of the fact that neither "New York" football team actually plays in New York State brings up an awesome story: While Mario Cuomo was governor of New York, he openly identified himself as a Buffalo Bills fan on the grounds that the Bills were "New York State's Only Team" (it was just about the only stand he took on anything that I ever agreed with!).

And if this new stadium does feature a retractable roof, the playing surface will still be natural grass, as is the case with Houston; and personally, I say it's a brilliant move, strategically speaking, because when the Jets go on the road and play in a dome they won't be at a competitive disadvantage, and neither will they be when they play outdoors on the road (assuming they keep the roof open for about half of their home games and close it for the other half).

About a dozen years ago, in Philadelphia they briefly toyed with the idea of having the Eagles split their home games between the Vet (artificial turf) and John F. Kennedy Stadium across the street, which would have had its Astroturf torn up and replaced by natural grass; then the plan was to have any Eagle opponent that played its home games on artificial turf (e.g., Dallas) play at JFK while having grass teams (such as Washington) play at the Vet; but the city, which owned JFK Stadium, refused to pay for the renovations (which would have included the installation of luxury boxes and other additional seating as well as the change in the playing surface) and the plan was scuttled. Wish they would have gone ahead with it - it would have been interesting!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:06 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I recall that story Anthony about the Eagles, but would have forgotten it for life if you didn't bring it up. I remeber thinking the same thing, " interesting". I like weird stuff like that, makes for good folklore years to come.

Yeah, it would be nice if the Giants and the Jets actually played in New York. Too many teams play far away from the actual city they are suppossed to represent. Maybe one of you guys know this...which team, currently or in the past, has played their home games in a place farthest away from their home city? The Lions come to mind when they used to play in Pontiac, but the one team I think of most is the Cavaliers in the NBA. They used to play in Richfield Ohio and I remember going to games there and just thinking, man this is far from Cleveland. It's actually closer to Akron then Cleveland. Should have been called Akron Cavaliers. Oh well, any examples you guys remember ?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:28 PM   #6
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Having a retractable roof makes sense.

I wish the Seahawks had do that... then again it would be closed 365

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

About time something happened ... Giants Stadium is very average. And if I were the Jets, I would be pissed about playing in GIANTS Stadium. I bet taxpayers in my area are angry, though.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

It's Giants Stadium for Giants games. It's The Meadowlands for Jets games.

Dave
Old 03-04-2003, 09:42 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
It's Giants Stadium for Giants games. It's The Meadowlands for Jets games.

Dave
Oh, is it? Two names for one stadium, that's peculiar. My understanding was the area with Giants Stadium and Continental Airlines Arena (where the Nets play) was the Meadowlands -- I've been there quite often and go regularly -- and the stadium itself was Giants Stadium. But I've heard it referred to as both, come to think of it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:09 AM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Well, if you were the Jets, would you want to play in Giants Stadium. Of course, most places are an improvement on Shea Stadium, so the Jets didn't mind that much when they moved to the Meadowlands.

Dave
Old 03-08-2003, 10:49 PM   #11
MelYeah
Rookie Player

MelYeah is on a distinguished road

You DAMN RIGHT I want the Jets to get their own crib!! As much as I love my squad, they really need a place of their own. And I'm one of those Jets fans who refer to our current rented residence as "The Meadowlands" when the Green-N-White play there.

Space issues in NYC are the main reason it hasn't been done by now. That and former owner Leon Hess being so lazy to not get a plan in motion after the Jets left Shea.

I like "The Meadowlands," but the New York Jets need a spot to call their own - IN NEW YORK!!
MelYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:16 PM   #12
RyGuy65
Grizzled Veteran

RyGuy65 is on a distinguished road

Jets in NYC sounds good. Parking will be a pain, but taht's alrite. Plus the Olympics and possibly the college bball.... I'm all for it.
NHL- Detroit Red Wings
NCAA Football- Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Army
RyGuy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #13
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I think Dome's has certain advantages for football. Like their is no wind factor.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:03 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kornbix
I think Dome's has certain advantages for football. Like their is no wind factor.

Marty Mornhinweg will be happy to know that!:goof:
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

lol. yeah but now Andy Reid gets to make the decisions and Morhinweg gets to be his yes man