Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Full NFL Schedule Released

Okay, so it's all set. You can get espn's coverage here.

I'll open with these comments:

I haven't looked at any individual schedules but the Steelers'. I'm pissed.
Two games on NBC. Ugh. (Not that I expect much of the MNF team, but what is NBC's production going to look like. I expect ickyness.)

ONE MNF game. Huh? A Super Bowl champion who returns the following season to only ONE MNF game????!!!!

I'm waiting for Anthony to tell us when that kind of television disrespect was given to a SB champ.

I'm annoyed that I'm losing a game to the NFL Network. Maybe I'll have opted into that tier again by then, but... expecting to move, I don't even know what cable system I'll have then. Annoyed.

ESPN has already begun the hyping of TO's return to Philly, and lo and behold, it's a MNF GAME!!

Oh, and the Packers, one of the league's worst teams, has TWO MNF games.

Ridiculous.

The Saints re-open the Superdome on MNF, which is a nice early season story. A bad game, but a good story.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I guess the NFL is banking on Favre returning. But as a GB fan, I'm happy to see some national games. The Packers are one of the most popular teams, so it'll always get good ratings. And I do take exception to you calling them one of the worst teams. They were injury-devastated last year and have been a playoff team since the '90s, so it's not like they're the Cardinals here...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I guess the NFL is banking on Favre returning. But as a GB fan, I'm happy to see some national games. The Packers are one of the most popular teams, so it'll always get good ratings. And I do take exception to you calling them one of the worst teams. They were injury-devastated last year and have been a playoff team since the '90s, so it's not like they're the Cardinals here...
Speaking of the Cardinals, they ARE on MNF. Not only a bad team, but an unpopular one. If you compare the Sunday Night games to the Monday Nighters, it's pretty clear that the roles of SNF and MNF have reversed - premiere games on Sunday, everyone gets in on Monday.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Say what you will about T.O., but he brings in ratings, as evidenced by the fact that Dallas has six nationally televised games, when no other team got more than four (Super Bowl holdovers Pittsburgh and Seattle, Denver, the Giants, and rather shockingly, Oakland).

And apparently whoever is in charge of drawing up the schedule may not think that the AFC is the vastly superior conference: All three teams that will play all 16 of their games on Sunday afternoons are AFC teams - Buffalo, Houston and Tennessee.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-07-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Marc, makes excuses if you like, the Packers were one of the league's worst teams last season. Period. They do not merit two MNF games. Period.

That said, you claim that ESPN got those games banking on Favre's return, when... in another thread you claimed that they got three MNF games last season due to contender status.

Horse baloney.

Meanwhile, the Steelers had the highest rated Super Bowl since... huh... the LAST time they were in the Super Bowl... and they don't get a national audience even four times.

I'm going on record: DISRESPECTED.

Period. (I'm still pissed after sleeping on it.)
Old 04-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Anthony

With all the network-switching and everything, maybe the league now believes that the Sunday night games carry more "prestige" than the Monday night games? How else to explain the fact that the Eagles - a last-place team in 2005 - got two MNF dates while the Super Bowl champion Steelers received only one? And not only that, but when was the last time two last-place teams from the previous season played each other on MNF? (Packers vs. Eagles, Oct. 2).

But in terms of overall non-Sunday-afternoon games, Pittsburgh still tied for second in number of such appearances, trailing only America's Team/G-d's Team/T.O.'s Team (Dallas).

Last edited by Anthony; 04-07-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

You might be onto something, I suppose. The league's way of telling DisneySports "yeah, we know you have strong cable penetration, but you're still a for-fee network," and part (diminished? minimal now in the era of DisneySports dominance of the hype machine?) of the league's popularity has to do with the fact that it doesn't require having cable television.

I'm just not looking forward to the NFL's return to NBC. Their Notre Dame coverage is terrible. Their bowl game is bad. I suppose their Arena coverage doesn't look awful, but I can't watch Arena football, so...

I dunno. You're pointing out that Dallas has six nationally televised games (the max) has me figuring I'm going to be rooting loudly against them. I've been away from my pure Dallas hate for a while. It might be good to get it back.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:05 AM   #8
OathKeeper
Rookie Player

OathKeeper is on a distinguished road

hey come on the schedule isnt that bad you guys ust got to learn how to deal with it there like three games in prime time Steelers open up to Dolphins and two games on the first week of MNF
OathKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 AM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Taking a quick glance at the schedule for the Raiders, 5-11 comes to mind.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #10
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

The Bucs have to play 3 games in 10 days in November, thanks to the NFL schedule maker for that!
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:50 AM   #11
Anthony

One of the bizarre things I noticed just last night is that in Weeks 10, 12, 13, 14 and 15, both the Giants and the Jets are playing 1:00 games on Sunday.

Does this mean that viewers in New York will get no game at all in the late time slot on those Sundays? (Unless there has been a change in the broadcasting rules that hasn't been made public, that would appear to be the case).

Last edited by Anthony; 04-20-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Anthony: All games after Week 10 have a 1p listed start time, with one exception each week, because any of those 1p start time games could become the Sunday Night Game. Presumably, where there are still two 1p games after NBC has done its cherry-picking, if there are still two 1p NYC games, one will be pawned off on the 4p slot.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I dunno if not having your beloved Steelers on MNF is necessarilly a bad thing, Dave. You don't have to listen to Theisman yammer on, and while I do enjoy Kornheiser on PTI, he has admitted he knows little about football, so why the hell is he doing color?

Atl's schedule looks brutal. Opening up w/3 division games, the 3rd being the N.O. game, which could very well turn into a beatdown by the Saints. That place will be juiced.

Then after what should be a win vs the Cards and a bye, the Giants and the Burg at home (Dave, how do our favs always end up playing each other at some point?) then hitting the road to Cinci. Let's see. loss, loss and another loss. The Foulcons could very well start out 2-5.

Then they get a bit of a break w/Detroit, Cleveland, and Balt, unless the Ravens end up w/McNair.

Right now, I think the best Atl can look forward to is a .500 season. Unless Vick gets injured early, in whick case, Schaub can get them 9-7. Maybe.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:27 AM   #14
Anthony

Why so pessimistic, Mike? The Buccaneers are taking the biggest jump in strength of schedule in the whole league, and let the Panthers prove they can put two good seasons back to back before automatically assuming that they can.

If I had to make my 2006 picks now, I'd have the Falcons facing the winner of the NFC East (either Dallas or Washington) in the NFC title game.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Why so pessimistic, Mike? The Buccaneers are taking the biggest jump in strength of schedule in the whole league, and let the Panthers prove they can put two good seasons back to back before automatically assuming that they can.

If I had to make my 2006 picks now, I'd have the Falcons facing the winner of the NFC East (either Dallas or Washington) in the NFC title game.
Anthony, when have you ever known me to be optimistic about any sports team I pull for? Expect the worst and be surprised by the positives.

I do think the defense will be outstanding, but w/Vick at QB, I just dunno if the offense can get the job done. Hopefully I will be pleasntly surprised.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote