Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road
Default Top 15 QBs according to Peter Queen of SI

Rated by him based on their combination of resume and immediate bright future.

1. P. Manning
2. T. Brady
3. S. McNair
4. B. Favre
5. T. Green
6. J. Plummer
7. D. Culpepper
8. C. Pennington
9. D. McNabb
10. M. Vick
11. J. Garcia
12. M. Hasslebeck
13. M. Bulger
14. B. Johnson
15. M. Brunell

I see Rich Gannon is nowhere to be found.

....and Jake the Fake is #6.

Slow and painful DEATH to Peter Queen.

Discuss....?
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Plummer is definitely overrated here. He still has yet to show he can play consistently over a 16 game stretch. Yes, he played well last year, but Danny Kanell got the starts against any of the decent defenses they played last year which were not many.

I think I would rank McNabb slightly ahead of Culpepper and Pennington as well just due to his leadership skills and he has been a consistent winner over the past four seasons. Pennington has yet to play a full season and show he has staying power and Culpepper still has not shown he can be a consistent winner a-la Favre, Brady, McNabb, and McNair.

I'd say Gannon is not rated as he missed most of last season and is a question mark coming into the season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Bleedbluenwhite
Grizzled Veteran

Bleedbluenwhite is on a distinguished road

How I'd put Vick higher if for no other reason than he is younger and HAS a future.
Hey I love FARVE but how long does he have 2 maybe 3 more seasons?
what about Fielder?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #4
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
I'd say Gannon is not rated as he missed most of last season and is a question mark coming into the season.
Queen's rating is based on two things.

1. Resume

Rich Gannon's resume takes a back seat to only Favre and Brady on the list, IMO.

You might place Manning, McNair and perhaps McNabb on equal ground with him in that regard......on RESUME.

2. Immediate bright future

Seeing as how Rich's RESUME is very impressive, then P-Queen must view Rich's immediate bright future as total crap.

Sorry, I can't buy into that.

Gannon is healthy and the O-line is beefed up.

I see no dark clouds for him in Oakland.

It looks to me like he's poised to have a good year in Oakland, unless of course they cut him and decide to go with Collins.

Could happen, I dunno.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Plummer doesn't even belong on that list. Horrible. And don't you think Manning at least needs to get his team to the Super Bowl before he is No. 1? My top-five:

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Favre
4. McNair
5. Culpepper
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Well, Gannon is 60 years old, so future potential is out the window. And past history...what, three or so pretty good years with great stats, with HOF wide receivers, culminating in one SB blowout loss where he threw 5 or 6 picks? I would've left him off too. I agree Plummer shouldn't be there.

As far as my own homerism, I PROMISE (write it down) that Brad Johnson will have a better year, in both wins and stats, then Matt Hassleback. They should be flipped on the list.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by KevinBeane; 08-17-2004 at 12:47 PM.
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Well, Gannon is 60 years old, so future potential is out the window.
Immediate bright future.

He's not too old to play well this year, IMO.....even at age 60, or whatever the hell he is.

Is he REALLY 60....?

Damn man, I better look it up myself.

Hall of Famers Rice and Brown were both past their prime when Rich was putting up his numbers and kickin' tail in Oakland.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:01 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Gannon is 38 which for QBs is on the precipice of the next year could be his last. I have to agree with Kevin in that his resume is not that impressive. Yes, he has had a great run from 1999-2002 but that is about all you can point to for his career. It is hard to gauge a QBs immediate future when he is coming off a major shoulder injury.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Coupla things:

PQ has Favre at #4 and it hurt him not to place Favre at #1. PQ has an apartment in Brett Favre's jock. No kidding. I swear it. I think he mentions Favre in EVERY F***in' column he writes. And if he doesn't, he feels guilty for it and fits him into his blather about Mary Beth's softball tournaments.

Also, PQ is spending time in the Plummer's pants because he knows the Greatest QB to Ever Give Him an Interview is going to retire... sometime. And, he'll have to get a new jock apartment, and for some fool reason, has decided that the lamest ass joke of a starting QB in the NFL is the place to go. Whatever.

Of PQ, we know this: He don't know quarterbacks.

So... We shouldn't be surprised that he's overrated some guys (Plummer, Garcia, Bulger) and underrated others (Bledsoe, Delhomme, Feidler).

I agree with the omission of Gannon, however. I don't think his immediate future is that bright (I'd start Collins, in fact, were I Norv Turner) and I think his overall resume is that of a journeyman, at best. One great year does not a career make. That said, I'd say Brad Johnson doesn't make my list, either.

Dave
Old 08-17-2004, 06:15 PM   #10
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

But if you put Gannon on the list based on that criteria, you have to put Warner on for the same reason. Impressive three-four year span, no real future promise. I don't have a problem with leaving either one of those guys off the list.

Gannon, unfortunately, had his legacy cut down by the Chiefs management refusing to drop their pride and name him as the starter when he was with the team. It seemed like for three years in a row he was the better quarterback, but because Elvis had been annointed the king, Gannon, no matter how good he preformed in the game, was always going to be a backup. He could be looking at six or seven real good years, instead of three.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:14 PM   #11
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
....and I think his (Gannon's) overall resume is that of a journeyman, at best. One great year does not a career make.

Total B.S.

Four straight years from 1999-2003 Rich Gannon lit up the league, averaging almost 4,000 yds a season, 25 tds and a 93.0 QB rating.

Journeyman at best....?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:20 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

No way McNabb in the top 10 - not with the Eagles ranking in the second division (to borrow an old baseball term) of the NFL in passing offense every single year he has started, plus the fact that he has never either completed 60 per cent of his passes or averaged seven yards per attempt in any season in his entire NFL career.

Rush was definitely right about one of the things he said last fall: McNabb is overrated - even more overrated than Krispy Kreme Donuts in fact!

Last edited by Anthony; 08-18-2004 at 05:51 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:38 AM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Good to see you bashing Favre and Plummer Dave. All is right with the world huh?...LOL.

My top 5...

1. Brady
2. McNair
3. Manning
4. Pennington
5. Favre

Guys I find totally overrated...

1. McNabb
2. Vick ( between him and McNabb, it is enough to make you sick, everytime they mention one of their names in the media, they should have to add at the end " both are still two rings short of Tom Brady)

Guys I think have had the benefit of playing in a good system...

1. Gannon
2. Garcia ( although we'll see this year)
3. Bulger

wouldn't call them overrated at a high degree, but at times, their skills can be exaggerated at times in their systems.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:49 AM   #14
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Ego_Maniac is on a distinguished road

Regardless of how they have played, there are some QBs who I'd rate as ROLE PLAYERS: Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, Jake Plummer ... I think I might have Jeff Garcia in that mold too. Fieldler and Feeley (whoever they are) in Miami seem to be the prototype. You can add Trent Green to the list.

After the ROLE PLAYERS, true talent takes over. How someone rates them is of little concern to me. The very best QB in the NFL has got to be Peyton Manning. You can scan the threads to see that I'm a fan of Tim Couch's talent. Culpepper belongs in EVERYONE'S top ten ... McNair, McNabb, and Vick are talents that deserve consideration.

Brett Farve DOES NOT BELONG on the list of top 15 quarterbacks. It is the twist of irony that NOT the young have to prove themselves worthy, but the veteran. We all, however, believe in his capacity.
Ego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:12 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Favre Defense/Ball-Washing Crew to the Rescue...

Quote:
Brett Farve DOES NOT BELONG on the list of top 15 quarterbacks. It is the twist of irony that NOT the young have to prove themselves worthy, but the veteran. We all, however, believe in his capacity.
In ever-lasting memorable the words of John McEnroe, you cannot be SERIOUS! I don't care what you say, but the man who led the ENTIRE NFL in touchdown passes while also reaching a career-high in completion percentage is a top-15 QB. He may not be the top guy anymore, but he is top-five, in fact. Top-five ALL-TIME. Look at the stats, he's done it all: Super Bowls, MVPs, late comebacks, the streak. Get real, man.

Last edited by Marc; 08-18-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote