Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default My Big Ten Predictions...

1. Iowa 7-1, 11-1...The Hawkeyes have all the pieces to not only make a conference title run, but a national championship run as well. 45 lettermen return as well as 16 starters for Iowa... who host Ohio State, Purdue, and Wisconsin. No Penn State on the schedule is a plus for the Hawkeyes. The offensive line, anchored by Mike Jones and Mike Elgin, will easily be the best unit in the Big Ten as well as compete with the nation's elite. A healthy Drew Tate, a solid defensive line, and an experienced secondary should be able to draw attention away from Iowa's inexperience at the linebacking position. LOSS AT MICHIGAN

2. Ohio State 7-1, 10-2...The Buckeyes are loaded on offense with 7 starters set to return in Columbus. Points should come fast and furious with Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Anthony Gonzalez, and Antonio Pittman at the skilled positions. The defense returns only 2 starters but many experienced players are in Jim Tressel's arsenal. Look for Jamario O'Neal at SS and John Kerr at MLB to take their games to the next level. Ohio State faces a tough early schedule going to Iowa and Texas as well as a home game against Penn State. If the Buckeyes can manage a 5-0 start, a national championship birth will be on the line when Michigan comes to Columbus in November. LOSSES AT TEXAS, AT IOWA

3. Michigan 7-1, 10-2...Lloyd Carr faces a tough schedule in Ann Arbor this year as Blue travels to South Bend, Happy Valley, and Columbus. Not exactly what a coach on the hot seat wants to see on his plate. The Wolverines simply need to regain what they had going for them early on in the 2004 season when it looked like QB Chad Henne and RB Michael Hart were going to lead UM to glorious heights: confidence and health...both mentally and physically. The offense should be potent with the above mentioned Henne and Hart set to return as well as All-American hopeful Tyler Ecker at TE. The receiving corps is solid with Steve Breaston finishing up a solid career in Ann Arbor while sophmore Mario Manningham gets his chance to make a name for himself. If the linebacking corps and secondary can settle in, Blue should make a run at the conference crown but a national championship seems unlikely in a year when both Notre Dame and Ohio State are on the road. LOSSES AT NOTRE DAME, AT OHIO STATE

4. Wisconsin 5-3, 9-3...Only 11 starters return in Madison as the Badgers test their worth in the post-Barry Alvarez era. New head coach Bret Bielema was selected early on by Alvarez which will hopefully make the transition a smooth one. A HEALTHY defense will be the key to success for UW as 8 starters return on a defensive line and secondary that should compete as the best units in the Big Ten. The offense took a huge blow with the loss of RB Brian Calhoun and mostly everyone else that led Wisconsin to over 34 points per game last season. If John Stocco can make some plays to take the pressure off of freshman RB P.J. Hill, the Badgers should be able to hang with every team they play this year. LOSSES AT MICHIGAN, AT PURDUE, AT IOWA

5. Purdue 4-4, 8-5...Joe Tiller's squad saw preseason national championship talk in 2005 turn cold by week 3 with a loss at Minnesota in OT. The Boilermakers proceeded to lose their next 5 games and salvaged only 5 wins in a season that had so much promise. 11 starters return for Purdue with 7 on the offensive side of the ball. If sophmore QB Curtis Painter continues to improve in the option game and the receiving corps gels, the Boilermakers should be a hard team to handle for any Big Ten defense. An easy schedule helps Purdue along early on and once again Michigan and Ohio State are avoided. LOSSES AT NOTRE DAME, AT IOWA, AT NORTHWESTERN, AT MICHIGAN STATE, AT ILLINOIS

6. Penn State 4-4, 7-5...Paterno will have to rebuild once again in Happy Valley as only 8 starters return on a team that went 11-1 in 2005. The key on offense is clearly QB Anthony Morelli who will take over for the versatile Michael Robinson. If the junior can get protection from a very inexperienced offensive line, he will have no trouble firing passes off to talented receivers Derrick Williams and Deon Butler. The linebacking corps will have to protect a suspect secondary as well as an inexperienced defensive line. The secondary will have to gel quickly as they face Brady Quinn and Troy Smith in the first month of the season. LOSSES AT NOTRE DAME, AT OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, AT PURDUE, AT WISCONSIN

7. Michigan State 4-4, 7-5...The offense will be the key to success as All-American candidate QB Drew Stanton leads the Spartans against a tough schedule. There is strength in the receiving corps and on the offensive line but a suspect defensive line and secondary could hurt MSU against the likes of Troy Smith, Brady Quinn, Tyler Palko, and Chad Henne. LOSSES NOTRE DAME, AT MICHIGAN, OHIO STATE, AT NORTHWESTERN, AT PENN STATE

8. Northwestern 3-5, 6-6...Emotions will run high in Evanston as the Cats try to recover from the death of head coach Randy Walker. If Walker taught his kids anything though, it was to never give up. I expect Northwestern to scrap their way against a tough schedule and make a run at a bowl. QB sensation Brett Basanez was lost to graduation but All-American candidate Tyrell Sutton at RB should help carry the load on offense. Defense will be the problem once again in Evanston as only 5 starters return on a squad that gave up nearly 34 points per game in 2005.

9. Illinois 2-6, 5-7...2nd year head coach Ron Zook has more of his people in place, especially in the secondary, which should net a few more wins this year...hopefully. A whopping 18 starters return for the Illini who miss Michigan on the schedule. Still, this team was statistically one of the worst in the nation last year on both sides of the ball. 5 wins is optimistic...but possible.

10. Minnesota 1-7, 4-8...This is finally the year the Gophers fall back down to earth. They can't keep competing...can they? The potent offense lost RB sensation Laurence Maroney to the draft but still have senior QB Bryan Cupito and All-Big Ten candidate Matt Spaeth at TE. A small and quite frankly cowardly defense has 6 returning starters.

11. Indiana 0-8, 4-8...An easy early schedule will give IU fans hope but things will get back to normal once October arrives. Only 8 starters return for a team that failed to score in timely situations and consistenly gave up points. Aside from QB Blake Powers and WR Jahkeen Gilmore, the Hoosiers don't have a playmaker on either side of the ball.

ALL-BIG TEN TEAM

QB... Drew Tate, Iowa
RB...Michael Hart, Michigan
RB...Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern
TE...Tyler Ecker, Michigan
WR...Mario Manningham, Michigan
WR...Derrick Williams, Penn State
OL...Joe Thomas, Wisconsin
OL...Jake Long, Michigan
OL...Mike Jones, Iowa
OL...Mike Elgin, Iowa
C...Trevor Rees, Northwestern

DB...Roderick Rogers, Wisconsin
DB...Marcus Pashcal, Iowa
DB...Leon Hall, Michigan
DB...Joe Stellmacher, Wisconsin
LB...Paul Posluszny, Penn State
LB...Dan Connor, Penn State
LB...Prescott Burgess, Michigan
DL...Lamarr Woodley, Michigan
DL...Jay Alford, Penn State
DL...Anthony Spencer, Purdue
DL...Jamal Cooper, Wisconsin

K...Kyel Schlicher, Iowa
P...Ken DeBauche, Wisconsin
KR...Ted Ginn, Ohio State
PR...Ted Ginn, Ohio State

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 08-11-2006 at 10:01 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #2
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Did the University of Minnesota run over your dog at some point in your lifetime?

It seems like every time you write something about the Golden Gophers, there seems to be a not-so-subtle dig at them.

And don't give me that "But Noon, look at my track record when picking Minnesota's outcome, it's almost spot-on, every year."

That doesn't change the fact that you're bias against the color gold.....or at least, the color gold in college football.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #3
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

You don't really think OSU is going to lose at Texas do you? I think they will cream them this year. I expect Texas to come back down to their football heritage this year......slaughtering the weak teams and losing to the ranked ones (both OSU and OU this year).
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 AM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I've heard a bunch of national outlets claim what you are talking about Bob: the old Texas will return without Young.

My prediction for that game has more to do with the fact that the Buckeyes are notoriously horrible in their first road game of the season. Not just under Tressel, but dating back to the first year of Earl Bruce.

Plus, a young and relatively unexperienced Buckeye defense will face enormous pressure in the spotlight that week. It will be #1 vs. #2 according to many polls. Plus the game is at night, on the road, and nationally televised.

Sounds like the woes on the road will continue if you ask me.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
I've heard a bunch of national outlets claim what you are talking about Bob: the old Texas will return without Young.

My prediction for that game has more to do with the fact that the Buckeyes are notoriously horrible in their first road game of the season. Not just under Tressel, but dating back to the first year of Earl Bruce.

Plus, a young and relatively unexperienced Buckeye defense will face enormous pressure in the spotlight that week. It will be #1 vs. #2 according to many polls. Plus the game is at night, on the road, and nationally televised.

Sounds like the woes on the road will continue if you ask me.

Sounds like a great game again though.....I can hardly wait.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:09 AM   #6
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

1.Ohio State
2.Iowa
3.Michigan
4.Purdue
5.Penn State
6.Wisconsin
7.Michigan State
8.Minnesota
9.Illinois
10.Northwestern
11.Indiana
Old 08-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
6. Penn State 4-4, 7-5...Paterno will have to rebuild once again in Happy Valley as only 8 starters return on a team that went 11-1 in 2005. The key on offense is clearly QB Anthony Morelli who will take over for the versatile Michael Robinson. If the junior can get protection from a very inexperienced offensive line, he will have no trouble firing passes off to talented receivers Derrick Williams and Deon Butler. The linebacking corps will have to protect a suspect secondary as well as an inexperienced defensive line. The secondary will have to gel quickly as they face Brady Quinn and Troy Smith in the first month of the season. LOSSES AT NOTRE DAME, AT OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, AT PURDUE, AT WISCONSIN
Look buckeye, I think you're usually a pretty level-headed guy who knows his stuff but in this case you are DEAD wrong. 5 losses? No way. No chance. Three? Sure. I can definitely see that. But 5? Just no way in hell. But then again, you're the same one who said last season that Penn State would lose to Cincinnati. So.......

The equivalent to what you wrote about Penn State would be if I wrote this about Ohio State:

The Buckeyes lose almost their entire starting defense from a year ago. Gone is the secondary, gone are the linebackers. Talented tackles Quinn Pitcock and David Patterson will have to protect a brand new back 7. The linebackers and defensive ends will have to step up quickly with tough runners Garrett Wolfe, Jamaal Charles and Tony Hunt coming up in the first couple of weeks. Troy Smith returns on offense but loses top target Santonio Holmes, leaving a lot of pressure on Ted Ginn to step up as the #1 receiver. The offense will have to put up points to keep the defense from getting bulldozed early on. LOSSES AT TEXAS, AT IOWA, MICHIGAN

Do you think Ohio State is the only team that has seasoned players stepping into the starting line up? Ed Johnson comes back after starting at the end of 2004 and was a key contributor on the defensive line. If Penn State had Johnson in 2005, he could've been the difference between beating and losing to Michigan. Jim Shaw is a 5th year senior who started 12 games at Rice in 2003 and started one game at DT a year ago. Justin King has been touted as one of the best corners in the Big Ten by many pre-season publications, an honor even I think is a bit too much for him. But he did cover Ginn like a blanket last season, holding him to only 3 catches and 40 yards. Donnie Johnson played a lot last season. He and King both had meaningful playing time. Davis and McCready saw a lot of action in garbage time. Each of the projected starters in the secondary had one interception last season except for King.

There's no way to sugar coat the offensive line. It's by far the biggest question mark on the team. However, having an All-American in Levi Brown protecting Morelli's blindside should help a lot. A.Q. Shipley saw some action early on at center last season and was impressive before having to go back on defense because the depth was so poor at DT. Cadogan at guard has been the most impressive during practice. He's likely to move over to LT in 2007 to replace Brown. John Shaw and Chris Auletta are still battling at RT but Shaw will likely win out. The only true position battle on the OL right now is between Robert Price and Greg Harrison at RG. Since neither one has really had the upperhand yet, that's the area that scares me the most. I think Penn State's OL will be fine by the end of September, thus my confidence in beating Purdue and Wisconsin.

I said in an earlier post that Morelli is better than Robinson. He's not the explosive runner but he's a much better passer and won't make the same mistakes that Robinson did. Inexperience could create some turnovers early on but in the long run, Penn State will put up better numbers because Morelli will do a better job of getting the ball in the hands of the playmakers like Williams, Butler, Norwood, Chris Bell, etc. than Robinson did. Again, maybe not right away but by the end of September I think Morelli will have settled in. The coaches have been really impressed with him.

There's too much talent on this team to have a 7-5 record. This team isn't rebuilding, they're reloading. I think a typical Paterno season (9-3) is likely but I honestly think 10-2 is in the realm of possibility. Ohio State is the only game I really don't have much confidence in Penn State winning. An inexperienced Penn State team going to Columbus frightens me. Penn State never plays well in Columbus.

Akron- W
Notre Dame- L
Youngstown State- W
Ohio State- L
Northwestern- W
Minesota- W
Michigan- W/L- too close to call right now
Illinois- W
Purdue- W
Wisconsin- W
Temple- W
Michigan State- W

9-3/10-2. There are only three acceptable losses- ND, OSU and UM.

I want some justification as to why Penn State will lose to Purdue and Wisconsin, buckeye. Penn State hammered both of them a year ago. Both have their own problems and most cases, more problems than Penn State is facing. Just curious. You're entitled to your opinion but I just can't see Penn State losing to either of those teams.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Great write up. I say Ohio St. will win the Big 10 and possibly contend for the title. I'm very interested to see how they play against Iowa in Iowa.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Wolverinesteve
Sports Enthusiast

Wolverinesteve is on a distinguished road

If your scenario held true UM would finish 2nd based on head to head victory over Iowa.

Just saying.
Wolverinesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverinesteve
If your scenario held true UM would finish 2nd based on head to head victory over Iowa.

Just saying.
Not true. Because then, according to that scenario, doesn't OSU hold a stake in the title by beating Michigan with Iowa holding a stake by beating OSU? He has the top three beating up on each other.

Also, buckeye left out the fact that the Gophers' other 1,000 yard back Gary Russell, whom some thought to be the more talented of the two last year, has left school and won't be in the backfield this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
WI Sports Fan
Sports Enthusiast

WI Sports Fan is on a distinguished road

I don't know why everyone is so high on Iowa this year. They lost the entire defense (Hodge and Greenway was their entire defense) and their 2 starting wide receivers. Young and Tate are good, but I just don't see the defense performing.

It's Ohio State or Michigan in my opinion.

Also, how can you not have Joe Thomas, possibly the best OT in the Nation, on your All-Big 10 team?
WI Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Not true. Because then, according to that scenario, doesn't OSU hold a stake in the title by beating Michigan with Iowa holding a stake by beating OSU? He has the top three beating up on each other.

Also, buckeye left out the fact that the Gophers' other 1,000 yard back Gary Russell, whom some thought to be the more talented of the two last year, has left school and won't be in the backfield this year.

The lower I got doublee, the less I wrote. Yes true, Minnesota lost both RBs but still have Cupito and Spaeth. Their defense will again be their demise this year anyway. Their line is undersized and their secondary is unproven. Plus, being physical has never been Mason's calling card.

Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State will all have one conference loss according to my predictions. You share the title at that point. Just like last year when Ohio State and Penn State officially shared the title even though Penn State won their game vs OSU. But since I see Iowa going undefeated in non-conference play and finishing with the best overall record, they will get the automatic BCS bid. In all honesty, I should have all three teams as #1.

Leaving Joe Thomas off was an overlook WI Sports Fan. You're completely right. I must have made a mistake when transferring the data from my paper to the post. Not only is he lock as All-Big Ten, he is very close to a lock as All-American. I'm gonna fix it right now.

Alex...

Give me a day or two here. I'll be back with more on your Lions.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

First off Alex, I'm not the Big Ten commish or someone important here. I hope you aren't equating this pick as disrespect for your team. If there are 12 weeks in a college football season I'm probably wearin' a PSU hat at least 10 of 'em.

1. Your starting QB threw 20 passes last year.
2. You got one starter on the offensive line returning (though Brown is tough).
3. You got one starter on the defensive line returning.
4. Your secondary is totally unproven and has to face Brady Quinn, Troy Smith, Chad Henne, John Stocco, and Drew Stanton this year. Honestly, any combo here can make 1st and 2nd team ALL-AMERICAN, nevermind All- Big Ten.
5. Tony Hunt will have to learn how to get yards with 8 in the box early and an inexperienced O Line.
6. Your quarterback got an arm but is considered one-dimensional.
7. Until the program wins consistently again, I will wonder if they are truly back.

Look Alex, I wil ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put more stock in returning starters...especially on the LINES.

If you told me I had to pick 3 definite losses for PSU, sure I'm goin' ND, OSU, and UM. Do they have a chance of winning both those late games at Purdue and at Wisconsin? Yes, they've won there before. Winning BOTH games late in the year at two places that CAN BE pretty tough in consecutive weeks? I don't know. Look, I'd be willing to give ya a split with a heavy emphasis on an L in Madison, but that's as far as I could go.

Too many questions. 4-4, 7-5

I just looked up my predictions for 2003, 2004, and 2005.

O3...25 games off
04...23 games off
05...23 games off

That's just over two games for each team. So if I say Penn State is goin' 7-5 they will either go 9-3 or 5-7. Not sure if this is good or not.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 08-11-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
7. Michigan State
LOSSES NOTRE DAME
Incorrect.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
Incorrect.
....the man has a point. Buckeye, no matter how good Notre Dame may be this year, and looking at your preview, you pretty much have the in the BCS championship game, they're going to lose to Michigan State.

They always lose to Michigan State.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote