Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Carlos Boozer Deal

Okay, supposedly the Cavs and Boozer had an agreement for a long-term deal after his current contract ran out that would have been worth about 40 million. Some how Boozer and the Cavs decdie to void the last year of his deal so they can pay him more than the $695,000 he is due for the next season. Then Boozer turns around and agrees to a 68 million dollar deal with the Jazz.

What do you guys think of how this went down? I think it is a bit shady all the way around personally let us consider the following:

-Boozer plays out the final year of his contract and sucks it up, maybe he gets hurt. At this point the Cavs pull the expected deal of the table and now Boozer has to settle for a lot less. Don't kid yourselves into thinking the Cavs would not do it either regardless if they had a verbal agreement or not. So, on that aspect I can not fault him entirely for taking the money and running.

-This sounds an awful lot like the Joe Smith incident in Minnesota where the T-Wolves got him to sign a low end deal with the promise that they would make it up to him the next season if he promised not to go elsewhere. It will interesting to see if the Cavs have to forfeit draft picks like the Wolves did. I think it was what five number one picks that was later reduced to four or something like that. I know they have not had a first round pick for two or three years now. I think they get it back next year.

-What role did the Jazz play in all of this? I am wondering if maybe there was not a bit of tampering going on here. I did not even now Boozer was granted free agency until I read that he was going to sign with the Jazz. That seemed to come about awfully fast.

From what I have seen and heard the Cavs were only going to be able to pay him about five million a year. Honestly, I cannot fault Boozer for taking the sure thing and going to Utah. Like AG said this morning by taking the 68 million dollar contract he has probably set his family up for the next two or three generatiosn as long as it does not get squandered away.

I am just curious to see what the fallout is going to be from all of this. I believe the Cavs still have the option to match the offer, but they only have a couple million to spend and would have to dump some salaries to be able to keep him. But, the whole situation just does not seem to be on the level at all.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the boards doublee...

First off, there is a HUGE difference between Joe Smith and this case. Let's get that straight. Joe Smith was going to stay in Minnesota for the lesser amount, like Boozer was allegedly going to do, but in his case, McHale was going to literally pay him under the table. Let's make that clear and understood. A player was going to get paid, perhaps in a dark alley with a briefcase, millions of dollars in CASH. That situation is WAY different then Boozer's. There will be NO penalties, and no illegal wrongdoing found, because there was none. It was a matter of Boozer giving his verbal word to play for the lesser amount, to get a bigger payout the next season.

On Boozer's " sudden" free agency, it's not the case. Living outside of Cleveland, I heard about the Cavs granting him the free agency WELL before this deal went down. They had planned on letting him become a free agent and in fact, got very comfortable with him just coming back as it being a foregone conclusion a LONG TIME AGO. I'm talking about April and May from what I heard while watching Cavs games here. I think the Cavs fell asleep on this one a little.

Here is what really happened ( atleast in my mind): Boozer was going to be granted free agency, legally, and expected to resign with the Cavs, who promised to take care of him. Here's the catch, when Boozer was granted his free agency, he saw the huge deals the likes of Okur and Foyle got, and went shopping for himself. No one could forsee the money thrown to these guys. Boozer is Shaq compared to Okur and Foyle, as far as basketball skills go, and he must have thought..." Man, these guys aren't nearly as good as me, and look at their payouts. I should get something even bigger".

The Cavs need to make up about $27 million in salary to catch up to the Jazz's offer, needing to dump salary. That's WAY to much, considering their payroll. Boozer is as good as gone for Cleveland.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Sucks for the Cavs. :goof:
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:45 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Okay, thanks for the insight on that being in Raleigh we do not get a ton of Cavs coverage. Everyone around here is ACC happy and what little NBA coverage they give is the mighty Bobcats.

I wonder if Paxson can survive this gaffe. I have seen some articles calling for his head already.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I think it's more on Boozer. Call me old-fashion, but if you give your word...

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:58 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

No problem doublee. Again, I just didn't want anyone to think this was a Joe Smith deal. I mean, Joe Smith literally was going to get paid the league min. I believe, and recieve a cash supplement under the table, without being taxed !! Amazing that something like that is thinkable, but it's true. No wonder the T-Wolves were punished so hard by the NBA for that goofy plan.

I think Gund is pretty fine with Paxson right now, having the season they did, and everyone thinking that Silas is a great coach ( personally, I think he sucks, no other way to put it). This was more of Boozer going back on his word, and Paxson's failure to see that those other PF's were going to get that kind of dough. I'm not sure anyone could have known about that though. I was shocked myself. It's a heck of a loss for the Cavs though, Boozer and Iggy were fantastic last year, helping Lebron as much as he helped them IMO.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

I too, happen to agree with the notion of the old fashion "keep your word". But I would expect no less from an NBA player. I unerstand Boozer is looking out for himself. But how bout giving the team that gave you your start a chance. I also realize that other PFs that are less skilled are being given better deals. But we can only speculate now on what kind of changes Cleveland might have pulled off to keep Boozer around. Also, I'm going to get a huge chuckle if this deal bites Utah in the ass. Bozzer is still a huge risk. He's young...and although good, his track record is aweful short. Things could happen. It's funny how guys tend to "relax" a little when the big checks start coming in. Can anyone say Shawn Kemp?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Losing Boozer has to set the Cavs back quite a bit especially since Ilgauskaus has had a lot of injury problems in the past. Sort of interesting to note that he has had his two best seasons since Boozer started with the team.

Does the Collective Bargainning Agreement not allow for renegotiation of contracts? Because I am wondering why they just did not re-work the final year of his deal. They do it in other sports all the time.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Ego_Maniac is on a distinguished road

I seem to think the Cavs know what they're doing. I get the feeling that Boozer wasn't the direction they wanted to go. When it comes to power rankings, forward ranks behind guard and center. If the Cavs are serious about winning, 'allowing' Boozer to leave could be a good decision.
Ego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I think you guys are underating Boozer. Or maybe I'm too high on him...LOL. All I know is that I watched about 50 to 60 Cavs games this year and the guy is the real deal. His scoring touch around the hoop is awesome. He can rebound, play good team defense, and is a clutch free throw shooter. Honestly, I'd say he is better then K-Mart and Lamar Odom, quite easily too.

I don't know if Boozer will relax like Shawn Kemp, because that would indicate Boozer getting hooked on drugs. Perhaps Juwan Howard is a better example of a PF getting the dough, and then playing below his potential.

I don't buy being loyal to the team who " gave him a chance" either. That's kind of a silly notion. He's a quality NBA product who recieved the standard 3 year rookie contract per the union's agreement with the owners when he was drafted by the Cavs late in the first round. He did get extra dough for being drafted in the first round instead of the second, but that's not such a big deal, IMO. It's not like he was playing in the CBA or something. He would have been drafted and thrived like he has no matter where he went. I'm very pro union/ worker, and don't see anything wrong with screwing over managment. Managment does more wrong doing "morally" then all the players in the league do times ten.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:09 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

No, I think losing Boozer really hurts any chance they may have had at making the playoffs this year unless they can swing a deal for someone else. Now you are looking at what Boumtje-Boumtje, Tony Battie, or Diop as the PF. Not very tantalizing choices. Battie is a fromer number one bust and the other two have yet to show they can be productive NBA players.

Ilgauskas is a nice player, but Boozer is a much tougher and stronger player. He was willing to do the dirty work that Ilgauskas could not handle himself. The thing about Kemp is his head was never in the game from the start. He could not go to college because of the FedEx money scandal. Kemp was only ever interested in how much money he could make and about being in the limelight. Juwan Howard was a victim of the Fab Five hype more than anything else. He was overrated coming out of college and it just balloned from there. I do not see Boozer as that type of player. He is merely looking out for number one is all. Besides, at this stage Utah probably has a little better core of talent than the Cavs do.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:45 AM   #12
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Wrong about Kemp. Kemp DID go to college. He went to Kentucky. He didn't play because he was a Prop 48. No Fedex scandal involved. The scandal was with Chris Mills. It was resolved, and Mills played for Kentucky. Kemp went on to Trinity Jr. College, in Texas....then entered the draft. I went to high school w/ Kemp. Talk about a wasted career. 5-6 good seasons, then the pipe. Talk about what could have been...
Old 07-12-2004, 10:31 AM   #13
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Boozer is an idiot (albeit one who will be laughing all the way to the bank) he got his money but his is highly overpaid and that will comeback to haunt him if he doesn't pan out to be the next Karl Malone. You have to think hard before you voluntarily follow in the footsteps of a legend. And his game will suffer by not playing with Lebron.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:30 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's a shame, because LeBron needs tough inside players like Boozer to surround him. What's wrong with the Jazz overpaying everyone this offseason?

Last edited by Marc; 07-12-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

That is right I got Mills and Kemp confused, if memory serves they were supposed to go to Kentucky together. That was an insane high school class with Kemp, Mills, Mourning, Owens, Ellis, etc. I thought Mills ended up in Arizona after the scandal broke.

Boozer is being paid more on his upside than anything else. It is hard not to justify the contract when the Warriors hosed the market by giving a slug like Adonal Foyle a five-year 40+ million dollar contract.