Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 04-27-2002, 08:12 PM   #1
Lisa
Sports Enthusiast

Lisa is on a distinguished road
Default League Rules

I personally think that the hockey league rules aren't totally fair. The rule I'm referring to is the rule that if the players name is not on the game line up at the beginning of the game then they are not allowed to play. This happened during the Leaf vs Islanders game Friday night. Because Reinberg's name was on the list instead of Reichel, Reichel was not allowed to play. If there are the same amount of players names on the list as there are on the bench then what does it matter whose name is on the list or not?!?
Also, one more point about Steve Webb. That guy really has no talent. He dosen't even serve a purpose on the ice. If his idea of hockey is to just go out and body check players, then he doesn't know how to play real hockey.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

So you're saying........ say it's the Red Wings that it happened to. Say Duchesne goes down in the middle of the game -- you're gonna let Uwe Krupp (healthy scratch) go from the upstairs luxury box down to ice level, dress, and get into the game?

No. The rule makes complete sense. If you're not written down as an elidgeable player, then you can't play!!!! ... #9 (whatever Krupp is) gets a goal but he's not on the gamesheet!???????????? That makes no sense. This is the rule at EVERY LEVEL OF MINOR HOCKEY. I ref kids ages 4 to 18. Refs are instructed to count the number of players at the start of each game and make sure that there are as many players on the ice OR LESS that are on the gamesheet ("or less" 'cuz you can write down a players name but not play him), and then put a line through the rest of the empty slots. Say the best player's parents drive him to the game an hour late... you gonna let him play in the middle of the game!? Now, if his name was on the gamesheet it's fine, but if it's not, then he can't come in the middle. It's not fair. It makes complete sense.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 04:00 PM   #3
Lisa
Sports Enthusiast

I'm not saying you are a bad ref so don't take so much offence!! I'm just saying that I think it is pretty scummy the way as soon as the puck dropped for the Leafs vs.Islanders game, The Islanders brought it to the refs attention. Although it was pretty silly of pat Quinn not to have someone check the list first. I guess you didn't fully understand what i said in the letter. I was saying that if there are the SAME amount of players on the bench that are on the game list then WHY does it matter if it isn't the proper name. I said that since Renberg's (since he didn't play Friday night because of injury)name was on the sheet instead of Reichel (cause someone just mixed the names up) Reichel wasn't allowed to play because of it which is what i said ISN'T FAIR!!
Old 04-28-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I didn't accuse you of saying that, did I!? -- I was just explaining how it's part of the rule book.

You do realize, if it was the Isles that made the mistake and the Leafs were the ones who caught it, you would be jumping for joy, right?.... Quinn doesn't even do it -- it's usually the assistant coaches that do it. In the end, it didn't even matter as everyone played a little harder and the Leafs won.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #5
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

It is a stupid mistake and it should be penalized. You cannot fudge a baseball line-up card and you should not in hockey either.
Body-checking is serving a purpose in hockey. In most cases if you knock the guy down he cannot score. Detroit has tons of talent and the the guys that do nothing but body-check push them around. Vancouver played physical hockey and look what they did to the most talented team in hockey. If nothing else it gets the crowd into the game when a guy belts someone at the blue-line.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:22 PM   #6
Lisa
Sports Enthusiast

ok.. i understand that you were just explaining the rule but i was just saying that i didn't think it is a fair rule. i could have really cared less if it was the Isles that had the screwed up game list as long as there were the same amount of players on the bench as there was on the bench! and i am not saying that i don't enjoy the fighting and checking that goes on in hockey cause i do. But when the only thing the guy does is skate around looking for a fight then the player must really not know how to play hockey!
Old 05-02-2002, 06:23 PM   #7
Lisa
Sports Enthusiast

sorry i meant on the list as there was on the bench
Old 05-02-2002, 10:45 PM   #8
icas
And then the robot killed

icas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa
But when the only thing the guy does is skate around looking for a fight then the player must really not know how to play hockey!
I hate to tell you this, but there's players like that on every team... they're known as enforcers... and yes even your beloved Maple Leafs have guys like that, stop being a hypocrite...
Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 AM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Tie Domi, anyone?
Old 05-03-2002, 08:44 AM   #10
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

Domi does that annoying gnat thing to...rushing in on a scrum with officials trying to get guys apart, and pushes his arms up and into the fray to put a facewash on someone...."that annoying gnat thing"?.... It's a technical term.
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 03:56 PM   #11
Lisa
Sports Enthusiast

I never said that i didn't think that Tie Domi or any other player on the leafs wasn't like that. I was just using steve webb as an example. I know that that is all that Tie Domi does! i never said that NO players on the leafs are like that!
O and by the way.. icas.. WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM!?!?!? Quit always getting on my case.. i can say what i want!
Old 05-04-2002, 04:04 PM   #12
icas
And then the robot killed

icas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa
O and by the way.. icas.. WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM!?!?!? Quit always getting on my case.. i can say what i want!
then i guess i can say whatever i want too... get over it and stop being a hypocrite
Old 05-04-2002, 08:37 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Guys, let's get on topic and lay off the personal insults or this'll have to be locked, as well. Thanks for your cooperation.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:06 PM   #14
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

Okay....I won't bring up - "that annoying gnat thing" anymore.;-)
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #15
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

I suppose the hockey message board is much like a hockey game. This thread must be like Domi's shift.