Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default ACC beats out the SEC...

Let's assume UF beats Bama and BC beats V Tech (though the latter has no bearing on the following rankings anyway) and look at what happened in 2008.

SEC WINS (lost season series 6-4)

#1 Florida over #4 Florida State
#1 Florida over #9 Miami
#2 Alabama over #8 Clemson
#6 South Carolina over #6 NC State

So, basically I have the SEC beating up the lower rung of the ACC here and a #6 beating the hell out of a #6.

ACC WINS (won season series 6-4)

#3 GA Tech over #3 Georgia – in Athens though

#12 Duke over #5 Vandy – in Vandy…like or not SEC fans but Vandy finished #5 in your league this year and got beat at home by the worst team in the ACC.

#9 Wake over #5 Vandy – This shouldn’t be SEC fans.

#8 Clemson over #6 South Carolina – I need an excuse here SEC fans. The ACC’s #8 beat your #6 pretty bad and with an interim head coach.

#9 Wake over #4 Ole Miss – Rebs lost at Wake on final play of the game but I need an excuse here SEC fans. The #9 shouldn’t beat the #4 no matter what.

#3 GA Tech destroyed #11 Miss. State so need to analyze

So there it is - utter dominance by the ACC over the SEC for 2008.

Will anyone notice this but me? I doubt it.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 12-01-2008 at 10:26 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Gary Danielson was talking about the strength of the SEC this season compared to the recent past this weekend during the Florida game, that it just wasn't as strong a Conference this season.

I think this head to head info with the ACC just bears that out.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The ACC is also the only conference that has 10 bowl eligible teams this year. The SEC is next with 8 followed by the Big 12 and Big 10 with 7. The major difference between the ACC and conferences like The SEC and Big 12 is they currently do not have that marquee program that you look at and say they are a definitive top 10 caliber program. Next year could be an interesting one for the ACC considering only BC and Clemson look to be breaking in new QBs next season.

Considering the SEC had five teams with 9 or more wins last year and only 4 with 8 or this season I'd say the conference is down a tick this year in comparison with the past couple of years.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The ACC is also the only conference that has 10 bowl eligible teams this year. The SEC is next with 8 followed by the Big 12 and Big 10 with 7. The major difference between the ACC and conferences like The SEC and Big 12 is they currently do not have that marquee program that you look at and say they are a definitive top 10 caliber program. Next year could be an interesting one for the ACC considering only BC and Clemson look to be breaking in new QBs next season.

Considering the SEC had five teams with 9 or more wins last year and only 4 with 8 or this season I'd say the conference is down a tick this year in comparison with the past couple of years.
If we were to rank all 24 teams from the two conferences I think UF and Bama clearly have no equal in the ACC. I'd put them 1-2 depending on who wins Saturday. And that bears out in the SEC wins as they account for 3 of them...even though they are over much lesser teams in the ACC.

But after 1-2 I think someone can make the legit argument that the next 5 to maybe even 7 best teams in the 24-team ranking system are ACC clubs.

People may want to discount how badly Vandy did this year but SEC homers have to realize they technically finished 5th in the conference. That's the same position the mighty Tebows had last year before getting spanked by Michigan.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think you can make the same argument for the ACC against any of the other BCS conferences save the Big 12.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I think you can make the same argument for the ACC against any of the other BCS conferences save the Big 12.
Where would you put the ACC teams compared to the top teams of the Big Ten, PSU, OSU, MSU?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think MSU is any better than anyone the ACC has to offer. Teams like BC and Ga Tech have better wins than anything MSU did this year.

PSU and OSU would probably be the two best teams in the ACC this year. But it is kind of hard to say since PSU played nobody of not out of conference and OSU was embarrased by the only team of note it played out of conference.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, probably right. I'm not sure how good the Big Ten is this season and haven't seen enough ACC. The SEC is definitely down and the Big 12 is the best conference at the top and deepest, but other than that, I'm not entirely sure how I'd rank the Pac-10 or Big Ten with those other Conferences.

The one thing I'd say about MSU would be that they didn't stumble against the mid-level Big Ten teams despite getting blown out to PSU and OSU.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
I don't think MSU is any better than anyone the ACC has to offer. Teams like BC and Ga Tech have better wins than anything MSU did this year.

PSU and OSU would probably be the two best teams in the ACC this year. But it is kind of hard to say since PSU played nobody of not out of conference and OSU was embarrased by the only team of note it played out of conference.
Well, MSU is better than Duke, Virginia and NC State...I would think. BC has more mediocre wins than MSU...by far but MSU has better quality losses and vs a common opponent...ND...both equally dominated ND. MSU won by 16 at home while the Eagles won by 17 at their crib.

PSU did beat Oregon State (8-4 and still in the hunt for a Rose Bowl). Ohio State does have quality wins at MSU and at NW. Both finished 9-3, #3 and #4 and both wins were complete beatdowns. Plus a win at Wisconsin (7-5), home vs. Minny (7-5) and another home win vs. Troy (7-4).

I think similar logic applies in comparing the SEC to the ACC as comparing the Big Ten to the ACC:

The SEC's #1 and #2 are better than any other school in the ACC. Same thing for the Big Ten though PSU and OSU are clearly a notch below UF and Bama.

After that, the ACC probably has the best teams going from #3 to at least #7.

Overall, the depth of the ACC is very impressive but they don't have a great 1-2 punch.

If I had to rank the conferences right now...

1. Big 12
2. ACC
3. SEC
4. Big 10
5. MWC
6. Big East
7. Pac Ten
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Basically MSU won the games they were supposed to win and lost the ones we expected they would lose. The main difference for them this year is they did not have those two or three losses they typically would against mediocre teams.

I'd definitely put the Big 12 and SEC as the top two just because of the strength of their best teams and they have solid depth overall. As for the other four BCS conferences I would probably give the ACC a slight edge over the Pac 10 and Big East just because of the overall depth factor but honestly I don't think there is a significant difference between the remaining four after the Big 12 and SEC. One can also probably make a compelling argument for throwing the Mountain West into that conversation as well given it had three 10-win teams and the Big 12 is the only other conference that can make that claim.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

The problem with going by the strength of Bama and UF as a means to putting the SEC at #2 is that Bama's SOS is absolutely horrendous. In fact, they are #73 right now whereas Utah is #72.

That says something to me.

Florida has more quality wins than Bama and has pounded people. That Ole Miss loss got better as the Rebs won more games but you can't lose at home to an 8-4 team and be put in the same class as Bama, Utah, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and USC.

Of course, we'll have to look stuff over after this weekend but I can't put UF up in the top 7 when you fell asleep for a game at home.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Well, MSU is better than Duke, Virginia and NC State...I would think. BC has more mediocre wins than MSU...by far but MSU has better quality losses and vs a common opponent...ND...both equally dominated ND. MSU won by 16 at home while the Eagles won by 17 at their crib.
Okay, but, what I mean is I don't think MSU is any better than the best the ACC has to offer right now.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Okay, but, what I mean is I don't think MSU is any better than the best the ACC has to offer right now.
Well, technically BC is #1 as of today and MSU finished #3. Both went 9-3 with MSU having better losses (at Cal, at PSU, vs. OSU) while BC has a few more quality wins. Both beat a common opponent equally. To me, it's close and MSU is a #3 while BC is #1.