Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 10-21-2004, 06:41 PM   #16
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

Marc and I share a taste in football teams and now cartoons.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:56 PM   #17
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and Ghostbusters were my generation's cartoons. Or at least mine anyways.

Now I'm not a fan of any cartoons reallys. Except some of the Adult Swim stuff and Simpsons.
Agree with everything there. Ninja turles was awesome. Scooby Doo was good also back in the day. I also like anime but I wouldn't show that stuff to a kid.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #18
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Bad Scooby Doo - Anything with Scrappy, anything lacking Velma, Fred and Daphne, any episode about zaniness, with no mystery-solving.
Good Scooby Doo - All the characters are present (except Scrappy) and they solve a mystery (even better if it's because Velma seems to know 400 languages). Hopefully, the scoundrel will proclaim them meddlin' kids.

I once saw a "zaniness" episode that featured Shaggy, Sccoby, and Velma (but no Fred or Daphne). Wierd.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:32 PM   #19
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

"It's a little-known fact here that eh, one of our very own posters used to do the voices of the recurring 'old guy' character who grumbled about 'them meddlin' kids'....."

-Cliff Claven, mailman from Cheers
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:19 AM   #20
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

Speaking of Cliff, he also had a small part in the star-studded classic "A Bridge Too Far." He plays a lieutenant in the 82nd Airborne who has one line -- he says, "What do we know about the boats?" to Robert Redford, who replies "I'm reasonably assured that they float. What we do know is that the river is wide and the current is swift. If I get any more cheery news, I'll only be too happy to pass it along."
Then, on the river crossing, Cliff gets his face blown off.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:06 AM   #21
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Not really a cartoon, but a great kid's show was New Zoo Revue. I'm thinking you have to be anywhere from 27-37 to recall it, but not really sure. It still comes on at 7am on Wednesdays from a station out of Akron. I don't get it, but I'm having my brother, who lives there, tape them for me.

Kevin got the Scooby Doo circumstances right. Scrappy was a ringer.

Old Tom and Jerry is a good choice.

And to throw support to Gen X, I LOVED Schoolhouse Rock.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:14 AM   #22
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Tazmania, Tiny Toons, Tale Spin, Aladdin, Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Chip 'n' Dale (Rescue Rangers).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #23
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

I remember the "New Zoo Revue!"
I think it was a bunch of animals (or, more accurately, people in animal outfits) singing and dancing and doing skits.
Theme song: "It's the New Zoo Revue/Coming right at you..."
Can't believe it's still on the air.

A couple of the ones I used to watch about 12-14 years ago, after I got off the 7 to 3 shift at the spring mill were Darkwing Duck and Duck Tales (both featuring Launchpad McQuack, the hardest-working duck in cartoons).
Old 10-22-2004, 05:11 PM   #24
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

KB had the Scoobies just right, as 78 noted.
I have vague recollections of the New Zoo Revue, but none of actually watching it.

Tom & Jerry is classic, but like Scooby, has conditions:
Evil T&J: when they're friends, when they talk
Good T&J: when they stop at nothing to destroy one another

It should also be noted that while Looney Tunes rules, there are moments, especially in the anti-violence era (meanwhile, anime is extraordinarily popular...hmmm) when the editing leaves it a little empty. Wile E. Coyote should always blow up, be disfigured, crawiling out of a crater at the end of a run-in with the Roadrunner. They always seem to "imply" the disastrous consequences of his malicious intent now. And I can't help wondering if that touchy-feely take on his repeated and hilarious attacks on the Roadrunner make it easier for harbingers of mayhem to forget that their idiotic behavior HAS CONSEQUENCES, as we've recently seen first hand here in Beantown.

Dave
Old 10-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #25
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I love alot of the Disney Cartoons, past and present. I find myself watching them all the time. Plus, I just love cartoons.

Classics: Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Gargoyles, Goof Troop, Talespin

Newer stuff: Lilo & Stitch, Recess, Kim Possible

I know, I need to grow up. haha.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:41 PM   #26
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

My favorite cartoons are Rocky and Bullwinkle. Kids love them becuase they are furry, talking critters, but they were really written for adults. Most of the gags go right over the kids' heads.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:17 AM   #27
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I think you're onto something Dave, if you're saying that just implying the injurious effects of Wile E Coyote does more to encourage impressionalbe kids to emulate them. Kind of funny, since I'm sure the less-graphic Looney Tunes was intended to have the oppositve effect.

Buckeye opened this up to non-cartoon kid shows. Does anyone remember a show about different cultures called Vegetable Soup? It had a peaceful message, so it's ironic that I would KILL to see it again. I probably haven't seen it since I was six, but I remember a bit of the them song, ("Come on along and join us! ...for a little bowl of vegetable soup.")

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:33 AM   #28
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Dave...

There's nothing worse than watching a Tom and Jerry and one of them opens their mouth and talks. AMEN !

I also recall watching a new Wiley E. Coyote and thinking this isn't right.

Kevin...

Vegetable Soup? Ah, no for me. I could ask my siblings, they might recall.

ESP...

You got New Zoo Revue right. That is the song and set up. My brother is coming over from Akron tommorrow. He has the tape with a few episodes on it for me ( now to only not let the wife know I'm doing something this " childish").

Kevin...

Do you recall 33 Pow ! out of Youngstown growing up. It was a local show. Perhaps you got in Akron, perhaps not. It ran in the EARLY 80s.

Anyone like the Electric Company?

3-2-1 Contact?

The Bloodhound Gang?

Duffy Moon? ( " You can do it Duffy Moon.")

Some of these shows were on when I was even a little older, but I watch anything...as my wife notes.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:37 AM   #29
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Electric Co, 3-2-1 Contact and Bloodhound Gang I remember is vague terms.

Morgan Freeman started on Electric Company. If I'm not mistaken, there was also the cry "Hey! YOU GUYYYS!" (which is featured in the movie The Goonies).

3-2-1 Contact and Blookhound Gang I remember very poorly.
Duffy Moon. Nope. Never heard of it.

Dave
Old 10-23-2004, 02:39 AM   #30
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

That's weird, they are a little closer to your prime of childhood watching. They were on PBS Dave. Did you get it out of Pittsburgh? I got two, one from Pitt and another from Akron, so all those shows were on constantly.