Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-31-2005, 04:00 AM   #76
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

It's late, but I'm off from school tommorrow, so here it goes...

Marc...

You missed the point. Your "newsflash" is true, but like I said, on Saturday in Columbus, Knoxville, or Lincoln, ALL INVOLVED, REGARDLESS OF NEW OR OLD SCHOOL, kneel before the tradition. The game is corrupt in MANY ways on a NATIONAL SCALE, but the "beauty" ( as Kevin puts it) is still there on gameday at the stadium, FOR THE MOST PART. The national media has done everything in it's power to corrupt the game at a national level for self-promotion and profit, but the game is RELATIVELY UNchanged at the local level. But the traditionalists have still lost alot. My fear is that the game at the local level will concede to national pressures ( Paul Bunyan's Axe will be brought to you by Allstate and then made a part of contrived photo opportunity instead of the natural gusto the winning team hoists the trophy with). In my years ( back creaks), I've seen many changes to appease higher agencies ( NCAA, conferences, bowls, and now corporate sponsors) that have altered the game greatly from what it once was. The BCS was the biggest, solved nothing for the new school, and took away some of the old school's tradition on a local and national scale ( Rose Bowl-national, no Ill-OSU last two years, breaking the tradition of the Illibuck trophy). The new school was wrong and owe the old school, IMO. But, we will press on with a newer system, perhaps a playoff, and all will lose again.

Simply put Marc, opening up every school to national demands ( which is a playoff, which is the current BCS, which is ESPN, profit, and corporate sponsors), threatens to compromise many traditional facets of the game. Tradition is what the game is built on, not to mention the UNIVERSITY, which facilitates the tradition. Again, it is a different animal. You guys are looking at this from a pro sports angle, and it just doesn't fit here. The game is so heavily built on local custom, it definitely owes ATLEAST SOME of it's success to it ( can new school concede that, because IMO, it owes ALL of it's success to the old ways).

Marc, I plead with you to look at your Cats. Your tradition is based on the outcome we have in place now. Facilitating a national champion, along with profit, and tradition are all hand in hand because they have been from nearly the beginning ( Oregon wins first tourney in what? '39?). Imagine the playoff out of the outcome, and Kentucky forced to alter, or at the very least, place less importance on it's traditions that take place on campus, because of national pressure to do so. And for what? So b-ball can be more popular in Montana, or better yet, Ohio, where it has little importance? NO! If Ohio can't get with b-ball, and has to alter Kentucky's ways to do so, that's not Kentucky's problem. It's the state of Ohio's problem. Screw Ohio, long live b-ball in Kentucky. Using a little intelligence, I can deduce that if you run things the way Kentucky has all these years on the hardwood, you get a helluva product, school, and experience. Why do the " new guys" ( Ohio in my example, or national media) seem to know more and get to decide? If sports writers and corporate sponsors don't " get" life in Lincoln or South Bend, change it for their benefit? How the hell is that fair or even logical?

Once national media pressures and change come into the mix of college football, the game changes, and IMO, for the worse. It's hard to explain, and you guys may wonder how or why the atmosphere would change on gameday, but it atleast deserves respect. The respect of not changing it by giving a bunch of suits a blank check to possibly alter things for their own benefit to satisfy curiousity of people who look at the sport in it's altered fashion ( people who think, "oh, let's see who is the best team" while never stepping foot on a campus).

Kevin...what happens when, in your 32 team playoff, Michigan and Ohio State have to play AGAIN, or the very least, make the playoff, and have a shot at each other one more time?

Yeah, that last Saturday in November would still be somewhat special. The blood will get pumping, the nerves will act up, I'll do my rituals, but somehow, knowing that this may not be the last time we get to beat these SOB's this year just may make the atmosphere in Columbus or Ann Arbor a little "off." It's been "on" for 101 meetings, and the game became the second greatest national product ( behind NFL, but I don't care about the national product) and the greatest tradition and athletic product at the majority of colleges around the nation. People didn't fiddle with stuff in 1908, 12, 35, 78, and whatever. Aside from a few changes, the game got there on it's own.

One last thing from the senile old man...

You know Marc, I may APPEAR to be in the minority at first glance, but I know the tradition built the game. I know we can't trust the idiots who will "fix" everything. In time, if they f it up enough ( which they will), people, like Ricky on here, will say, " why the hell did we change in the first place?"

I'm just right now, you guys will come around later...
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #77
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

While I'm not necessarily in favor of a playoff that would drag into February, what would be so terrible about holding playoff games among any teams that got through the regular season undefeated? (And in some years there wouldn't be any playoff at all, if only one team managed to go unbeaten).

And what about college basketball and their "tradition?" Until 1971 only 16 teams in the whole country made the NCAA tournament; today it's 65. While I know that's not quite the same as going from not having a playoff at all to having one, the change is really no less dramatic if you think about it, especially since before 1971 there were no "at-large" berths in the NCAA tournament, meaning that a team from a major program could have gone 14-2 in their conference and 25-2 overall and still might have had to settle for the NIT. Nowadays, by contrast, virtually every team who plays in one of the big conferences and finishes above .500 gets to go to the Big Dance; that's a pretty big difference from the way it used to be.

(And I grew up on Staten Island, NY before moving to the Bay Area in the early '90s - so I guess that's just as bad or worse so far as never living in a place with a college football powerhouse is concerned).

Last edited by Anthony; 02-02-2005 at 04:04 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote