Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
AmpleSound
Grizzled Veteran

AmpleSound is on a distinguished road
Default Steelers, the most feared 6-7 team?

I've gotta post it, I couldn't help myself. So yeah, the Steelers are one slice short of terrible this year. With all of the emergency incidents of young Ben Roethlisberger, and losing a few of their starters in the offseason. They currently have the 6th ranked offense, and the 9th ranked defense. Heck their offense is producing more yards per game than the high and mighty "Bengals"! Only thing hurting them is that ugly -8 in the turnover margin .

I couldn't be more excited about the next three weeks in the NFL! I'm just hoping for the Bengals or the Jaguars to choke, and flatten off to end this season. The Bengals seem to have the harder schedule than the Jaguars, but the Jaguars are so very inconsistent! I'm hoping to see teams force the Jaguars to pass, and all will be merry for my Christmas! Fortunately they've got some big threats at receiver, but really no one to get them the ball ...

So with this being said, week by week my hopes will get bigger, or come crashing down into a stunning reality :lol:... One thing for sure, luckily this is the NFL, and pretty much anything can happen! So I'll praying for a miracle playoff run. Hopefully I at least get to see the Steelers above .500! Bash me if you want, but only if it's factual !
Old 12-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

But aren't they really getting healthy off of crappy teams though?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
AmberOSU
All-Star Player

AmberOSU is on a distinguished road

They might make it over .500, but there is no way on God's green earth a 9-7 team is going to make the playoffs in the AFC.
AmberOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

If last year proved anything, it's that it can happen and it's not over until, well, it's over. Teams need to lose and the Steelers need to win, but it can be done. A win against the Ravens would've made it a hell of a lot easier, though. 9-7 is going to be tough in the AFC, too. I have hope and I'd love to see it happen just as much as the next Steeler fan

As for the title, I'm going to have to agree. Not too many strong 6-7 teams out there.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Steelers will be lucky to finish 8-8 this year.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I think the Titans are a more feared 6-7 team at this point. They come into this week riding a 4 game win streak while the Steelers only have a 2 game win streak. The Titans are one of the hottest teams in football right now and they have beaten teams actually worth something recently, unlike Pittsburgh, who is beating up on the people at the bottom.

The Steelers won 4 out of their last 5, and out of those 4 wins, the only one of note was beating the Saints. The other 3 wins were to Cleveland twice and Tampa Bay.

The Titans however, have won their last 4 games, and have beaten playoff contenders Indianapolis, Philly, and NY Giants. The Titans also have a better chance of finishing 8-8 than the Steelers do as well. The Titans face the Jags, Bills, and Patriots, and i think they can pull a 2-1 record with those 3 games. The Steelers face the Panthers, Ravens, and Bengals, and would be doing good to go 1-2 in those games.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
eman484
The Steel Jaw

eman484 is on a distinguished road

There is only two teams in the league that can say they are in the Top 10 in overall offense and overall defense. The Chargers and the Steelers. That, to me, says that the Steelers are obviously a superior team than their record shows. In my opinion they are a 9-4 team trapped in 6-7 body. Plus, beating playoff contenders in the NFC is nothing to brag about. I believe the Steelers wouldn't have much problem with the Eagles or Giants at this point. On the other hand, I don't think the Titans could beat the Saints right now. An overtime win over the Texans isn't that special either. I think the Steelers are easily the best 6-7 team out there and probably better than a lot of the 7-6 teams.

Steelers should roll this weekend as well. Chris Weinke won't know what hit him.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

No, all that really shows is that ranking teams by yardage is not an indicator as to how good your team really is. One could argue that the Steelers are in the top 10 in yardage allowed due to the offense turning the ball over so much and the defense having to defend a shorter field most of the time. Consider that they are 21st in takeaways and 18th in defensive 3rd down percentage. They are not stopping teams as effectively as they have in the past.

Yardage on offense means very little if you are constantly coughing it up.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
eman484
The Steel Jaw

Your points are taken. But I don't think you can honestly say that you would be surprised if the Steelers were sitting at 9-4 or 8-5 right now. I am sticking by my guns that they are a better team than their record indicates.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:24 AM   #10
eman484
The Steel Jaw

Also, with 286 points scored and 264 points allowed, they pass all the other losing teams and even some winning teams, in the fact that they have scored mroe than they have been scored on. I think there are a lot of indicators, that show the Steelers are better than their record. But people only see what they want to see.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:28 AM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Eh, I don't know if they are a better team then their record indicates. I think we are starting to see the real Ben this year (in the sense that he is asked to do more now - make more attempts). The defense is not what it used to be & with Baltimore's upgrade, I thought they would finish 3rd in that division. I'd be surprised if they had a winning record.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:48 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well both Pittsburgh and Tennessee are certainly more feared than another team which is currently 6-7 that so many talking heads were penciling in for the Super Bowl four months ago - Carolina.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:03 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Well... we also have Minn, Miami, and Buffalo (S.F. if you wanna count 6-8) in addition to Carolina, Pittsburgh and Tenn). There are a lot of "scarier" teams than Pittsburgh. If I had to rank them all based off of the six wins each of them have it would be in this order (1 being the best - or "scariest" and 6 being the worst)

1. Miami: They beat the Pats (shut them out) and the Bears! Both division leaders
2. Tenn: They beat Indy and NYG. Two division leaders (NYG was at the time)
3. S.F.: They beat Seattle not once, but twice. Again, a division leader.
4. Steelers: The only good team the have beat all season is N.O.
5. Minn: They beat Seattle
6. Buffalo: The only good team they beat was Jax
7. Carolina: They have taken out N.O. and Balt, 2 tuff teams. They would be at #2, but since they are starting Weinke now, that is why they are at #6

Last edited by boston_aloha; 12-16-2006 at 08:01 AM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

I think Tennessee is the most feared 6-7 team right now. Pittsburgh is improving, but the Titans have a qb that has really made a difference. I think if they get off to a good start against the Jaguars at home on Sunday, they will demoralize the Jaguars and win. If you look back on the Titans and Jaguars, the Titans have had Jacksonville's number. This year, it was the Texans. Coach Fisher is one of the best at game-planning. As a Jaguar fan I worry more about the Titans than I do the Patriots. At least the Patriot game is at home. The Jaguars are very shakey on the road.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

More scared of Tenn than NE?? Really? Wow... that's a bold statement. Honestly, none of these teams are "scary" to me. I think my team could smoke them all (but Miami did take it to them) - but even after that Miami beating, if they were facing any of those teams (including Miami again) I would not worry. I guess I'd just be pissed (like I was Sunday) that my team lost to one of these crappy teams.