Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Florida coaches rake in the $...

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- When coaches win NCAA championships, financial windfalls are usually around the corner. But Florida has taken the monetary gain of two of the nation's most high-profile coaches to a unique level.

Athletic director Jeremy Foley announced on Thursday that men's basketball coach Billy Donovan and the Gators have agreed in principle to a new contract, with an option for a seventh year. Foley also said football coach Urban Meyer agreed to the same structure -- six-year deal, with an option for a seventh.

Donovan will earn $3.5 million per year for each of the next six years, while Meyer will be paid $3.25 million per year. The deals make the two the nation's highest-paid basketball-football coaching tandem, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

The contracts will cost Florida more than $40 million through 2013.

"I understand those numbers are significant," Foley said, "but it's the market for having highly successful coaches."

Foley's announcement followed Donovan's news conference Thursday during which he apologized to the Orlando Magic, his family and the Gators for changing his mind about joining the NBA coaching ranks. Donovan struck a deal late Wednesday to opt out of the five-year, $27.5 million contract he signed last week with the Magic.

The Florida contracts mark the first time under Foley that the basketball coach would earn more than the football coach. Neither contract has been signed.

Florida holds both the football and basketball national championships simultaneously, a first in major-college sports history. Donovan has coached the Gators to the last two national titles; Meyer's Gators won the BCS championship last January in his second season in Gainesville.

"I'm very appreciative of the support that the University of Florida, [school president] Dr. [Bernie] Machen and Jeremy Foley have provided to me and my family," Meyer, who turns 43 in July, said in a statement released through team spokesman Steve McClain.

Donovan did not comment at Thursday's news conference about the terms of his extension. He is 261-103 in 11 seasons, including nine NCAA Tournament appearances, three Final Fours and the back-to-back national crowns.

According to the Sentinel, the 42-year-old Donovan is the highest-paid college basketball coach at a public school, while Meyer's salary is believed to be second to Alabama's Nick Saban ($4 million annually) among football coaches at public schools.

ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2897946

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Well deserved. :thumbup:
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I didn't know they printed money in hell.

Learn somethin' new every single day I guess.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It is interesting Donovan makes more than Meyer. We all know football is king there and I thought they wouldn't stand for that.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

If Meyer gets back to back championships, maybe they'll be equal. Its hard to argue that Donovan doesnt deserve to get paid more, even in the football rich school.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

I am a Gator grad, and I think there would have been more of an uproar from the fanbase if it was the other way around contract wise. Donovan has been there longer and done more for his particular program than Meyer, national championships not withstanding.

Gator basketball was not very good when Donovan took over, even though they made the Final Four in 1994 I think it was. Even though Zook wasn't that successful record-wise at UF, it isn't like he left the cupboard bare for Meyer. Most of the players on last year's team were brought in by Zook, and Meyer took them to the next level.

I agree with coachJ though, if you see Meyer win another national championship in the next few years I would think he would get another new deal.
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
themush
Banned

Welcome Jeff, can't wait for football season. Nother Gator to help me out here.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Thanks mush, take a closer look at my avatar...think you will find it quite amusing

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Old 06-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Levers View Post
Thanks mush, take a closer look at my avatar...think you will find it quite amusing

Yeah, I've seen that one before and, it is funny as hell.:thumbup:

Watch out for Buckeye though he has a chip on his shoulder. Poor guy is an OSU fan. :lol:
Old 06-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Yeah, I have seen buckeye over on the Scout.com Gators board. He seems to be ok to me, just likes to talk football and is very passionate about his team. Nothing wrong with that as long as you keep it friendly...

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
themush
Banned

Nah, Buck's a good guy I just like to give him hell about his beloved OSU.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Levers View Post
Yeah, I have seen buckeye over on the Scout.com Gators board. He seems to be ok to me, just likes to talk football and is very passionate about his team. Nothing wrong with that as long as you keep it friendly...
That must be another buckeyefan78 cuz it ain't me.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I didn't know they printed money in hell.

One of the funniest things I have ever read.

More Gator's here? Someone shoot me now please.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
One of the funniest things I have ever read.

More Gator's here? Someone shoot me now please.
We need more Big Ten fans in here. The greatest conference in the world should be have more representation.

:thumbup:
Old 06-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I'd be happy w/just one UGA fan other than myself who isn't a mindless homer who thinks we will win every game. (insert smart ass mush comment here.)
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote