Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default New rules on Gameday at Alabama...

Game Day Changes
May Jar Some Tide Fans

TUSCALOOSA - Be prepared for some changes Crimson Tide fans, and not just with the coach walking the sidelines.

This week, the Alabama Athletic Department will begin mailing season ticket holders and running ads in newspapers across the state, the new game day policy which covers everything from tailgating rules to the attire you can and can't wear inside the stadium.

Gone are the days of fans sitting outside the stadium getting inebriated and coming into the stadium causing trouble. According to University officials, State Troopers will be stationed at random gate entrances and if they, or the gate workers, suspect you of drinking, you will be asked to take a breathalyzer test.

If you blow more than a 0.08%, you will be asked to leave the stadium, and if you are a season ticket holder, your tickets will be revoked and you will not be able to renew them.

"We sat down and looked at most of the problems we have inside the stadium on game days, and 80% of them are alcohol related. We understand that some people are going to drink a little, but we are not going to tolerate drunkenness inside our stadium any longer" said one University official.

Eddie Kines, a Piedmont resident and family member of Joe Kines, has been coming to Alabama football games for 40 years. Over the last 15 years, he has been a strong advocate for these changes. "I remember when Coach Bryant was here; our fans didn't act this way. We came to the games, sure, we might drink one or two cold ones before hand, but we didn't get drunk, and we certainly didn't cause problems in the stadium. We just liked to come in, watch some good football and contribute to the atmosphere. That is Alabama football.

“Our football team played with class and our fans cheered with class. Once he left, it was like he took our class with him - we stopped acting like champions, and I think that has hurt the football team, too.

“I took my grandson to the LSU game a couple of years ago and I was truly embarrassed. It was like I had taken him to a race at Talladega rather than a Crimson Tide football game".

Among the many changes, the one that may cause the most problems is Alabama's new policy pertaining to what you cannot wear into the stadium.

"It's not a 'dress code', per se. We will just not allow a few certain articles of clothing into the stadium. We have had numerous complaints about obscenity in the stadium, and most of the time, it's directly related to what some fans are wearing" said one University official. Some articles of clothing that will no longer be allowed into the stadium:

• Tank tops or shirts with the sleeves cut out

• Halter tops and cut-off t-shirts

• Cut-off blue jean shorts

• Jerseys worn into the stadium must be Nike

• Attire with vulgarity or obscene photographs

• Shoes must be worn at all times

"We are not asking for much. We just want Crimson Tide football games to be family oriented, and at this time, we don't think that is the case" said one University official.

While these changes may come as a shock to some Crimson Tide fans, Kines says they are a long time coming.

"This has been a long battle, but if I can finally take my grandson to a game and he can see what Alabama football is really about, it was all worth it."

Clint Hamilton, Piedmont Gazette

http://www.82west.com/index.html

Jerseys worn into the stadium must be Nike?

Wow...
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

That is pure evil. You can't drink before a Tide game? How are they planning to fill the place up? If G'ville ever adopts this policy I'm moving to Mexico.

Yeah, and how's Nike getting away with this?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
That is pure evil. You can't drink before a Tide game? How are they planning to fill the place up? If G'ville ever adopts this policy I'm moving to Mexico.

Yeah, and how's Nike getting away with this?
Nike?

Evil bastards.

I never understood the whole drinking thing related to football. Ohio State and maybe Wisconsin have a pretty decent segment of drinkers but Big Ten games and ND games are pretty civil in comparison to what I've heard about the SEC.

EDIT:

Michigan has some ignorant fans. I'm not talking about being an enemy in there either. I've gone to other games aside from OSU and sang "Hail to the Victors" and still had my problems with them...LOL.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 07-16-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
themush
Banned

It's funny the guy mentions LSU. They have the WORSE BEHAVED FANS ON THE PLANET. Seriously I promised myself never to go to another LSU game.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
It's funny the guy mentions LSU. They have the WORSE BEHAVED FANS ON THE PLANET. Seriously I promised myself never to go to another LSU game.
:lol:

Take that LSU.

Best fans (of places I've been)

1. Notre Dame
2. Penn State
3. Ohio State
4. UCLA
5. USC
6. Michigan State
7. Michigan
Old 07-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
themush
Banned

Why isn't UF on that list? We are gentlemen all of us.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

The jersey having to be Nike is definitely discriminatory, it won't be long before someone sues over that knowing people. Hell, it might even be a company like Reebok that does and not a fan.

The no tank top or halter top rule, can you imagine that at UF in August and September for the women? That wipes out about 90% of what you see them wearing at the games, and I don't mind looking at that one bit...

I am also curious how they are going to get away with the breathalyzers and denying people access to the games. I am sure they are looking to keep out the people who are extremely hammered, but how far will it go? Will you see people that are against the drinking ratting other people out at the gate? Also, last time I checked the .08% was for driving a vehicle while drunk, not just for drinking in public.

This just seems to be way over the top and will end up causing them a lot of trouble to deal with and enforce...

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
themush
Banned

IF the aim is to keep an extremly drunk fan out of the game then I agree. No sense in having someone throwup on another fan or roll down 20 rows of steps. With that said, I've been known to enter Gator game a little "tipsy" but, after sitting there in the August heat for the entire game (which now days takes the better part of 4hrs to play) I walk out sober as the pope.

USF games are different because they sell beer. Stadium is off campus at Raymond James Stadium.:thumbup:
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

This just in from CNN...

Popcorn, Hotdog and Soda sales will end with the start of the Crimson Tide home opener. These items will be replaced with Tea & Crumpets. More on these details as they come in. Now back to local programing...

Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Wow. I could've seen this happening at a school with a less established tailgating tradition but it's hard to believe that it's happening at Bama. Some of it is reasonable but the Nike jersey thing is just over the top. Hopefully that gets shot down soon. I'm guessing some Tide fans have jerseys they've been wearing for decades that aren't Nike. What are they supposed to do? Shell out $50 for no reason? Total bull****.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Just clicking that link, this does not look all that real.

A google search comes up with this as The Piedmont Gazette...http://piedmontgazette.com/index.html

Seems like a nice bit of satire.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yep, definitely fake...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Well I hope to God it's fake. That makes some sense, at least. Was it dated April 1st?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

What does it say about the state of college football if we actually thought all of that could be true?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What does it say about the state of college football if we actually thought all of that could be true?
Great commentary and only one sentence.

Oh yeah...I wasn't in on the prank guys. Sorry for this if it pissed anyone off.

Don't blame me though...I can barely type.