Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default King's Dream

45 years ago today Martin Luther King Jr. delivered a speech in front of the Lincoln monument, and marched on Washington.

Today, his dream was realized, at least in part.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that one day...little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

You can say that it "means nothing."

This doesn't solve all racial problems over night, but talk to some African Americans, and ask them if this means anything.

Put your political views aside for a second, and recognize the significance of a major black candidate for president, accepting the nomination on the 45th anniversary of Dr. King's famous speech. This is a great day for America.

We've come a long way.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

It's absolutely a huge moment. The amount of credibility that it lends to telling a black child that he can do anything that he wants to during his lifetime is incredible.

Doctors, lawyers, sure, but President...President is a position that is rare, that is powerful, that really shows that you can do anything. Breaking that barrier took a long, long time, but I think that the impact can only be positive. It was a great moment to see Obama at the center of that stadium, preparing to do something that I'm sure many African-Americans wouldn't have expected to see during their lifetime.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

ML King was a man that I had a great deal of respect for during his lifetime. He preached self-reliance for everyone.
I will leave my comments at that.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
ML King was a man that I had a great deal of respect for during his lifetime. He preached self-reliance for everyone.
Self-reliance is the Barack Obama story.

He came from nothing, from a single mother. He went to the best colleges in the country on school loans.

He and his wife could have taken the high paying jobs at law firms or on Wall Street. Instead, they worked to build up the communities in Chicago and raise a family.

Barack Obama IS the American Dream. He didn't ask for a hand out. He did ask to be treated fairly, and to be given an opportunity.

Barack Obama would make Dr. King proud.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
It's absolutely a huge moment. The amount of credibility that it lends to telling a black child that he can do anything that he wants to during his lifetime is incredible.

Doctors, lawyers, sure, but President...President is a position that is rare, that is powerful, that really shows that you can do anything. Breaking that barrier took a long, long time, but I think that the impact can only be positive. It was a great moment to see Obama at the center of that stadium, preparing to do something that I'm sure many African-Americans wouldn't have expected to see during their lifetime.
They had a little blurb on the news last night about a poll that showed 63% of African American parents now believe their child can grow up to be President while only 46% of white Americans believe the same.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The mere idea MLK's name can be associated with this guy makes me sick to my stomach.

I cringed and actually got pissed when the greaseball referenced him last night.

Self-reliance is the Barack Obama story.

He came from nothing, from a single mother. He went to the best colleges in the country on school loans.

He and his wife could have taken the high paying jobs at law firms or on Wall Street. Instead, they worked to build up the communities in Chicago and raise a family.

Barack Obama IS the American Dream. He didn't ask for a hand out. He did ask to be treated fairly, and to be given an opportunity.

Barack Obama would make Dr. King proud.

Did you copy the bio down and simply reprint it?

Came from nothing?

Uh, no.

You've never seen nothing before CK. No offense (though I know you're steaming right now) but the guy had a few slight disadvantages...nothing more.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Deceptive because it depends on what context you use self-reliance. Plus, it has a pretty vague meaning.

MLK fought for reparations during the end of his life. Maybe this is different from the self-reliance you are talking about, but it seems to contradict it.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Deceptive because it depends on what context you use self-reliance. Plus, it has a pretty vague meaning.

MLK fought for reparations during the end of his life. Maybe this is different from the self-reliance you are talking about, but it seems to contradict it.
His reparations plan called for peoples of all disadvantaged groups to receive aid...and most likely in the form of job/education programs.

Most people believe it was simply for descendents of former slaves. Then again, that's how we got to this point where people believe MLK was all about race and how this Obama character is somehow an example of his work when in fact his main message was social/economic justice for all.

Sad really cuz MLK was the greatest champion for social/economic justice in this nation since Eugene Debs IMO.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 08-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
You've never seen nothing before CK. No offense (though I know you're steaming right now) but the guy had a few slight disadvantages...nothing more.
How do you know I've never seen "nothing?"

Coming from a single-mother with no money to her name? Living on food stamps?

"Slight disadvantages?"

Think Fresh.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
How do you know I've never seen "nothing?"

Coming from a single-mother with no money to her name? Living on food stamps?

"Slight disadvantages?"
Why can't we just take my word for it?

Seriously.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I think everyone just assumes MLK was all about race because he happened to be African American. But, because his message was about equality a lot of folks just assumed he was just another uppity n-word looking for another handout and trying the white man down but all he was asking for was to be treated equal and not to bring the white man down. He even said as much in his "I Have a Dream" speech.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Why can't we just take my word for it?

Seriously.
Huh? I have no idea what you mean by that.

Buck, please don't assume to know my experience. I've worked hundreds of hours in the inner city of Cincinnati. I know what "nothing" is.

Barack Obama didn't have it as bad as some people in this country, but to paint him as an "elitist" is to ignore fact.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Huh? I have no idea what you mean by that.

Buck, please don't assume to know my experience. I've worked hundreds of hours in the inner city of Cincinnati. I know what "nothing" is.

Barack Obama didn't have it as bad as some people in this country, but to paint him as an "elitist" is to ignore fact.
Because it gets us to the biggest balls contest and we lose sight of the real issues.

I mean...my next point here is to somehow discredit you working in the inner city of Cincinnati.

It does nothing to help CK. I'm always going to maintain that if you haven't been there...you don't know.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I think everyone just assumes MLK was all about race because he happened to be African American. But, because his message was about equality a lot of folks just assumed he was just another uppity n-word looking for another handout and trying the white man down but all he was asking for was to be treated equal and not to bring the white man down. He even said as much in his "I Have a Dream" speech.
It's a shame that his message has been hijacked by folks. That's why it pisses me off when a fake like Obama references him.

Poverty levels OVERALL have remained relatively unchanged in this nation for the last 40 years since MLK's death (12-13%). For blacks, the rate has dropped down to roughly 25%. He wouldn't be touting the drop for blacks, he'd be pointing at the fact the overall level has been stagnet for 4 decades (CK- take note here as we have another example of both parties failing the people).

The Dream hasn't even moved on this front...his main issue...since his death.

Then this guy last night stirs the echos?

Gimme a freakin' break.