Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default The 15 Strangest College Courses in America

Quote:
The 15 Strangest College Courses In America

College is viewed by many people these days as a diploma factory. You show up go to certain classes in a certain order, and eventually receive a diploma. There’s not a lot of love for learning for learning’s sake anymore. But that hasn’t stopped many colleges from offering plenty of quirky unique classes that go over non standard educational topics. A lot of the odd courses we found sound like lots of fun, but with tuition costs skyrocketing is it really worth it to spend thousands of dollars on fun diversions? Read on and decide.
http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2009/0...es-in-america/

Interesting. I never had the pleasure of taking any strange courses. I wanted to take pop culture or one of the sports-related classes, but the closest thing I had was Beginning Golf, which was pretty chill and easy (one of my few As, haha), though for only one credit. One of my former friends was taking some class where they talked about sex all the time, heh.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
the closest thing I had was Beginning Golf, which was pretty chill and easy (one of my few As, haha)
That would have been my bowling class. Our class final was to keep score by hand, as opposed to letting the computer do the work at the bowling alley. Two students failed the final. Quite puzzling.

My girlfriend took a class entirely devoted to gang violence. The textbook was quite amusing to skim through...
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

HOLY S-HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know nobody will get the point but the first class on there is Arguing with Judge Judy: Popular ‘Logic’ on TV Judge Shows

This is what I was asking a few weeks back when a few of the youngsters were talking about Logic courses and I asked if logic courses for disciplines existed. Nobody understood me of course but here it is: pop culture logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot damn. Thank God I'll be dead soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
HOLY S-HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know nobody will get the point but the first class on there is Arguing with Judge Judy: Popular ‘Logic’ on TV Judge Shows

This is what I was asking a few weeks back when a few of the youngsters were talking about Logic courses and I asked if logic courses for disciplines existed. Nobody understood me of course but here it is: pop culture logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot damn. Thank God I'll be dead soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

That class doesn't represent what logic is, though. Logic focuses on the use of symbolic language and it's argumental (and almost mathematical) properties.

Don't let one messed up class distort your idea of what logic is. In a real logic class, you learn truth tables, fallacies, symbolic notation, sybolic language, etc.

These are all things that stem from Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, Moore, and the analytical philosophers of the early 20th century.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
That class doesn't represent what logic is, though. Logic focuses on the use of symbolic language and it's argumental (and almost mathematical) properties.

Don't let one messed up class distort your idea of what logic is. In a real logic class, you learn truth tables, fallacies, symbolic notation, sybolic language, etc.

These are all things that stem from Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, Moore, and the analytical philosophers of the early 20th century.
Yeah, I'm aware of that Rob. What I was asking awhile back was do they now have Logic courses for regular classes or in how to approach things?

Like "Logic for Football" or "Logic for History" and they teach you those subjects using Logic...the actual discipline you've described.

And here it is. They actually have Logic for TV watching. Amazing. Like I said, thank God I'll be dead sooner than later.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of that Rob. What I was asking awhile back was do they now have Logic courses for regular classes or in how to approach things?

Like "Logic for Football" or "Logic for History" and they teach you those subjects using Logic...the actual discipline you've described.

And here it is. They actually have Logic for TV watching. Amazing. Like I said, thank God I'll be dead sooner than later.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that these things use logic in the same way that a philosophy class uses logic. I think the semantics of "logic" are completely different between the two.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think that these things use logic in the same way that a philosophy class uses logic. I think the semantics of "logic" are completely different between the two.
Here's the skinny...

Not quite what one would expect, the professor of this course emphasizes repeatedly in the course listing that this class is “NOT a course about law or “legal reasoning.” It is instead an exploration of logical fallacies that are often presented by defendants and plaintiffs on court television shows like Judge Judy and The People’s Court. Seems right up the alley of most college students, as they are squarely in the demographic of afternoon television programming (which also targets the elderly and unemployed).

So I don't know if actual philosophical logic is being used...you're right. But if so, we've hit rock bottom.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Rob, are you taking any interesting courses or know of any in your school?

Wondering if anyone here has any other gems they know of...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
susanmathew
Banned

susanmathew is on a distinguished road
Default Hello

wow they are so many new courses,,,,, are they useful
susanmathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I don't recall any really strange classes in the course-book when I went to college, but I do remember an accounting student (about 20 at the time) being upset that all of the business classes were full when he registered for classes. He needed an elective worth 3 hours to fill his schedule. I asked him what he was interested in learning more about and he told me. We found a class about that subject (I believe it was weather) and he took it. Later in the semester, he stopped me to thank me for helping him find that course.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote