Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 03-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Duncan for MVP?

It's spring again and time to disrespect Tim Duncan in the MVP race. Why is the media all over Dirk and Nash when Duncan is right there? Here's the story...

Phoenix is 52-17
San Antonio is 49-20

The Spurs will most likely catch Phoenix cuz they have a few more home games down the stretch plus they only play 3 teams with a winning record. Phoenix has 7 games left against teams with a winning record.

Duncan's stats...

20.0 PPG
10.8 RPG
3.3 APG
54% FG
65% FT
2.3 BPG

Nash's stats...

19.0 PPG
3.5 RPG
11.6 APG
53%
89%
0.8 SPG

It's basically EQUAL when you flip the rebounds and assists for a PF and PG.

What am I missing here? I don't even want people to GIVE it to him...all I'm asking is why isn't he even mentioned?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
It's spring again and time to disrespect Tim Duncan in the MVP race. Why is the media all over Dirk and Nash when Duncan is right there? Here's the story...

Phoenix is 52-17
San Antonio is 49-20

The Spurs will most likely catch Phoenix cuz they have a few more home games down the stretch plus they only play 3 teams with a winning record. Phoenix has 7 games left against teams with a winning record.

Duncan's stats...

20.0 PPG
10.8 RPG
3.3 APG
54% FG
65% FT
2.3 BPG

Nash's stats...

19.0 PPG
3.5 RPG
11.6 APG
53%
89%
0.8 SPG

It's basically EQUAL when you flip the rebounds and assists for a PF and PG.

What am I missing here? I don't even want people to GIVE it to him...all I'm asking is why isn't he even mentioned?
Not sexy enough.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I like Dirk, Nash, then Duncan, Kobe, and LeBron, but it's a two-way race, IMO. Nash makes everyone around him better, I guess that's his biggest argument. Duncan's team is good and he puts up good numbers, but he's not doing anything he hasn't done before. Gotta go above and beyond, no?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It is really Dirk's to lose right now isn't it?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like Dirk, Nash, then Duncan, Kobe, and LeBron, but it's a two-way race, IMO. Nash makes everyone around him better, I guess that's his biggest argument. Duncan's team is good and he puts up good numbers, but he's not doing anything he hasn't done before. Gotta go above and beyond, no?
I think Duncan makes his teammates better moreso than Nash makes his teammates better. I think Tony Parker is an average point guard that gets a lot of his scoring because as a big man Duncan really knows how to create space for a PG to operate to where he can take the lane, drive in and hit a medium range jumper. Duncan opens up a lot of that by knowing where to be and not clogging anything up. Manu Ginobili gets a lot of shots because of Duncan, as well.

I just don't see how Nash always gets credited for making his teammates better when he was not this good before he got to Phoenix.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I agree with Doug here. On another team, Parker puts up pedestrian numbers, while on the Spurs, he looks pretty good.
The Spurs have basically not had a center since David Robinson retired, so Duncan has to do a lot of work under the basket. He takes all that pounding and still puts up all-star numbers, on a team that is likely going to be either the first or 2nd seed in the West.
Both Nash and Duncan are good passers, but Duncan's ability gives everyone much better shots, as doug said.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

At best the Spurs will be #2 in the West. Seeing as they are 9 games behind Dallas with 11 to go, realistically speaking, they have no chance at being the top seed in the West.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I have to go with Kobe.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Kobe really shot up the charts there a week or so ago, but given that the Lakers have dropped 4 of 5 and are only 6-11 over their last 17 with losses to Minnesota, Philly, Milwaukee, and Memphis I am not sure how Kobe is the MVP. He certainly does not seem to be elevating his team down the stretch run here. I said earlier in the year that Kobe was going to need 50-55 wins to get serious consideration and it looks as though the Lakers are going to fall short of that mark by quite a bit.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

3 rings, 3 finals MVP's and since that is all he cares about and moreso all the Spurs care about he gets no promotion from his organization. On the other hand anytime you interview Cuban he is pluggin Dirk for MVP. Same with the Phoenix front office. I think that Duncan is always the MVP, as was Shaq in the early 2000's and Jordan in the 90's regardless of who got the trophy.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I got to go with Dirk Nowitski or Steve Nash. Without Nowitski Dallas would maybe have won 40 games this year.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
NickFeely
Sports Enthusiast

NickFeely is on a distinguished road

I gotta admit, I never even considered Duncan, and NO ONE mentions him on ESPN. He does really make a pretty good case, though I don't think he deserves it over Dirk. I don't like Duncan and his "me?" face (after a foul is called on him he religiously sticks his arms out and holds his mouth wide open as if he is so shocked the call was on him), but he is a great player who doesn't get his due.

Dirk. Hands down.
NickFeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Sorry I can't make up my mind. Either Kobe or Dirk.:lol:
Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFeely
I don't like Duncan and his "me?" face (after a foul is called on him he religiously sticks his arms out and holds his mouth wide open as if he is so shocked the call was on him)
And it seems Tim Duncan is a favorite of David Stern, despite his "me?" face that the NBA is looking to crack-down on this season.

Duncan was called for a technical foul on Sunday for arguing about an offensive foul call, and then received a second technical foul call for laughing on the bench about a call that went against the Spurs.

Duncan claimed NBA official Joey Crawford has a "personal vendetta against me," although Crawford said Duncan referred to him with an expletive.

The end result: A long-tenured NBA referee who has officiated 266 career playoff games and 38 NBA Finals games has been suspended for the rest of the season.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I know three pointers aren';t Duncan specialty or job, but he only has one this season doesn't he?