Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-22-2001, 04:13 PM   #1
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Location: Home in Birmingham, England and divide at least 6 months of the year between South Carolina and New Jersey.
Mike Round is on a distinguished road
Default Parity = Mediocrity

Anyone else think the NFL's gotten really boring the last couple of years?
Let's face facts - the last 2 Super Bowl winners could only play one side of the ball - the Ravens offense was impotent and the Rams defense was about as good as France's in WW2.
This year there's 1 good team, 28 mediocre teams and 2 dreadful teams. Some of the games are as exciting as watching grass grow.
It makes you wonder what the old Dallas, SF and Green Bay teams of the 90's would have done to this one-dimensional lot.
My theory - for what it's worth - is that the top athletes in college prefer to play basketball (more money, less chance of injury) to football, thus the talent pool has diminished. Also, those that choose football are channeled into defense, hence most of the top draft picks being defensive players.
OK - rant over!
Mike Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:32 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with you. The NFL is always unpredictable - there are always surprises every year, unlike baseball, where teams like the Yankees are always there. The reason teams are more one-dimensional now, which is one thing I do agree with you about, is the cap salary. Who would have thought the Titans and the Rams would be good now in the mid-'90s? No one, I bet. Same goes for the Saints, Colts, Chargers, etc.

There may not be a dozen great, two-dimensional teams, but there is a lot of competition and the play is as exciting as ever.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 09:19 PM   #3
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I diagree w/ u also. I think its very exciting to watch. Especially now that the Browns are no longer a pushover. But anyway there are always upsets, and that makes the season exciting!
Old 10-23-2001, 12:27 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

If I see one more 9-3 or 9-7 game on MNF I will throw up. I want offense and i want it now.:goof:
Old 10-24-2001, 02:50 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If that's how you feel, Keith, you need to root for the Rams to go 16-0 this year and steamroll over everybody in the playoffs. If they do, all the "copycats" will come out of the woodwork. Every new head coach that gets hired for the next several years would install a "St. Louis Rams Offense" and the type of games we have seen the past two Monday nights will become as obsolete as the Wing-T.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 05:55 PM   #6
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Location: Home in Birmingham, England and divide at least 6 months of the year between South Carolina and New Jersey.

Quote:
Originally posted by NickHammy
I diagree w/ u also. I think its very exciting to watch. Especially now that the Browns are no longer a pushover. But anyway there are always upsets, and that makes the season exciting!
I like upsets too - I just take exception to this pathetic rinky dink football - so-called West Coast offense - nonsense. Upsets don't mean an exciting game - it's just one useless team defeating a supposedly less useless team!
Anyone apart from the Rams complete passes over 10 yds nowadays?
This season has seen some truly desperate games - not just on MNF either. Right now, I'd take Oklahoma, Miami or Nebraska over 30 of the NFL's teams! College ball is way more exciting than the No Fun League right now.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:47 PM   #7
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Think what you want...
Old 10-26-2001, 08:45 PM   #8
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

So what you're saying in your "1 good team, 28 mediocre teams and 2 dreadful teams" analysis is that Oakland is as every bit as good as Arizona?!? There is still a gap, while not nearly as large as in the past, of the good teams and the bad teams.

And "useless teams"? How in the hell is a team with a winning and playoff-bound record that loses one freaking game they are not supposed to useless?
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 03:11 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Round

I like upsets too - I just take exception to this pathetic rinky dink football - so-called West Coast offense - nonsense. Upsets don't mean an exciting game - it's just one useless team defeating a supposedly less useless team!
Anyone apart from the Rams complete passes over 10 yds nowadays?
Way to go, Mike! It's nice to see that I have at least one kindred spirit on this forum! But don't despair - these things tend to run in cycles; if the Rams do clean house this year the pendulum will start swinging the other way and it will be just like the early '80s again. And what a relief that will be!
Old 10-27-2001, 04:34 AM   #10
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Big D
So what you're saying in your "1 good team, 28 mediocre teams and 2 dreadful teams" analysis is that Oakland is as every bit as good as Arizona?!? There is still a gap, while not nearly as large as in the past, of the good teams and the bad teams.

And "useless teams"? How in the hell is a team with a winning and playoff-bound record that loses one freaking game they are not supposed to useless?
There are degrees of mediocrity - Arizona is way more mediocre than Oakland.
My gripe is with head coaches trying to clone the Bill Walsh style "West Coast" offense. What they've actually done is remove all the deep plays from Walsh's playbook and now just play it safe with a series of dump off passes that move the chains - until the field is shortened and the defense can sit on the short pass - hence the number of field goals now.
As anyone who stayed awake for the Giants/Eagles game will testify, this brand of football just don't work and it's dull. The Giants should have won that game - and blew it because of conservative play calling.
I'd love the Rams to clean house this year Anthony - now there's the real West Coast-Air Coryell offense.

Last edited by Mike Round; 10-27-2001 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:34 PM   #11
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Well, Flat out...I think you are dead wrong Mike.

I think the reason you see so much parity in the NFL is because of the salary cap...not a lack of talent. There is plenty of talent in the NFL right now, it is just spread out. I mean, in baseball, you can assemble a team of big money players if you can afford it, but in the NFL their are limits.

It is also very good for the league that pretty much any team can say that they have a chance to make a run at the playoffs in the beginning of the year. Can you say the same about baseball?--Where there are usually 5 teams in spring training that have a legitimate chance to win the World Series? That is boring. Being 31 games out at the All-Star break is boring. Why do you think NFL ratings are going up while baseball ratings plummet?

Because baseball does not have parity, or in other words a salary cap, there is a good chance there will be ANOTHER work stopage next season. THAT will be boring. I dont think after the terrorist attacks, people are going to put up with this pampered athelete crap, especially if their team is subpar. Parity is the perfect thing for a sport. It gets fans of all teams excited- and the salaries in check.

You want a dynasty? Go watch the NBA and MLB..... the two sports leagues that are losing fans faster than I can say the word DYNASTY. You think that is a coincidence? I don't think so.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 02:22 AM   #12
Anthony

Actually Rick, the salary cap does more than merely limit payrolls in the most obvious sense. One of the by-products of the salary cap is that in this day and age you've got so many teams that have either great offenses and suspect defenses (like Indianapolis, Minnesota etc.) or the other way around (the Giants, Baltimore, Tampa Bay etc.). There is almost no balance anymore, except for maybe the Raiders, who have good, solid talent on both sides of the ball, although they are not truly championship caliber on either - yet that combination is good enough to tie them for the league's second-best record.

And I'm sure the owners would like to see the West Coast offense become less popular, since it inflates quarterback ratings by probably 10 to 15 points (due to higher completion percentages and fewer interceptions because of the shorter pass routes), forcing them to pay QBs higher salaries. While this trend is most certainly an unintended consequence, it's one the owners wouldn't mind seeing reversed nonetheless.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-28-2001 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:58 PM   #13
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

I must admit Rick you have a point about baseball/football ratings and I find it hard to figure out the answer - bar the obvious one that NFL football is basically a weekly thing and has a more concentrated season - whereas baseball lasts 6 months and is a virtual every day thing. And you're right that there are 70-80% of the teams on opening day in MLB that have no hope of getting to the WS.
However, Oakland have shown that you can go deep in the play-offs with a low payroll - frankly they should have made the WS this year. And Boston/Dodgers show that a high payroll is no guarantee of success.
My original point was more in relation to the quality of play - I don't care for endless Dallas/SF/Buffalo/Denver Super Bowl permutations either. Two bum teams can serve up a thrill a minute game but that's no guarantee they are both good teams. Salary cap - and they tendency to dump high priced veterans - is one aspect of the declining standard of play but I feel it's more down to coaches, a lesser talent pool and fashion in relation to play calling. Baltimore won the SB based on an offense that would have looked out of place in the 1930's and the Rams won one with a defense comparable to Ivy League standard. I'm convinced the standard of play has declined in the past 10 years and I'm trying to figure out why. Would you put the last years Baltimore team up against Joe Montanas Niners, Parcells' Giants or JJ's Dallas and stake money on the Ravens Rick? I wouldn't.
Old 10-28-2001, 05:54 PM   #14
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Some good points Mike, but you are forgetting something. When the Rams won the Super Bowl their defense played very well. Since that year however, the D has gone downhill.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 08:34 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Dogg
Some good points Mike, but you are forgetting something. When the Rams won the Super Bowl their defense played very well. Since that year however, the D has gone downhill.
Last year, maybe, but this year, the Rams are very respectable on defense.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote