Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 05-18-2006, 05:11 AM   #46
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Since you're Catholic, InTheNet, surely you're aware of the concept of the corporal works of mercy: Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless etc.

With that in mind, if abortion is outlawed, would you support rolling back the draconian 1996 welfare-reform law so that the babies who would be born don't starve to death? Would you take in one or more of the saved babies and raise him or her yourself? Would you advocate a massive expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit to cancel out the depressed wages that would result from 5.5 million babies a year being born in this country, once they get old enough to enter the labor force? (Two of the four "sins that cry out to heaven for vengeance," according to Roman Catholic catechism, are "oppression of the poor" and "defrauding laborers of their wages").

Anyone who is "pro-life" and wouldn't do all of the above is a hypocrite.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #47
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Since you're Catholic, InTheNet, surely you're aware of the concept of the corporal works of mercy: Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless etc.

With that in mind, if abortion is outlawed, would you support rolling back the draconian 1996 welfare-reform law so that the babies who would be born don't starve to death? Would you take in one or more of the saved babies and raise him or her yourself? Would you advocate a massive expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit to cancel out the depressed wages that would result from 5.5 million babies a year being born in this country, once they get old enough to enter the labor force? (Two of the four "sins that cry out to heaven for vengeance," according to Roman Catholic catechism, are "oppression of the poor" and "defrauding laborers of their wages").

Anyone who is "pro-life" and wouldn't do all of the above is a hypocrite.
I quoted your entire post simply to respond to all of it. Yes I am a Christian and yes I am against abortion. I am also against the welfare state; God never said that life is easy... the burden of life includes work. Babies don't starve if parents are truly concerned about them. Simply because I am against abortion does not mean I am for a welfare state to care for them. Parents need to be responsible for their offspring; which means a life of work and effort on their behalf. It does not behoove the state to be the nursery for humanity. So too, the individual needs to be responsible.

Regarding "...corporal works of mercy: Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless etc..." Yes absolutely. Welfare for all truly needy: financed by the individual. Contribute what you can, as an individual citizen. Help until it hurts. However, who transitioned this "mercy" to the government's role? Why do you asume it the government's role to provide welfare? That is where we disagree.

Last edited by IntheNet; 05-18-2006 at 09:51 AM.
IntheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #48
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Man should receive a good reward by doing the right thing.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #49
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet
I quoted your entire post simply to respond to all of it. Yes I am a Christian and yes I am against abortion. I am also against the welfare state; God never said that life is easy... the burden of life includes work. Babies don't starve if parents are truly concerned about them. Simply because I am against abortion does not mean I am for a welfare state to care for them. Parents need to be responsible for their offspring; which means a life of work and effort on their behalf. It does not behoove the state to be the nursery for humanity. So too, the individual needs to be responsible.

Regarding "...corporal works of mercy: Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless etc..." Yes absolutely. Welfare for all truly needy: financed by the individual. Contribute what you can, as an individual citizen. Help until it hurts. However, who transitioned this "mercy" to the government's role? Why do you asume it the government's role to provide welfare? That is where we disagree.

Because relying on private charity alone is a proven failure. If you want proof of this, perform a simple experiment: Spend an entire day walking through any large, old cemetery; and if you do, you will notice that certain years seem to have more people having died in them than the years immediately earlier or later - examples are likely to include 1893-1894, 1896-1897, 1907-1908, 1921-1922, and (especially) 1930-1932. Why? Because economic downturns occurred in the United States in those years - and large numbers of people died of starvation, exposure, etc. Not only that, but trumpeting private charity is a time-honored smokescreen used by Social Darwinists; it was the favorite trick in particular of Alexis de Tocqueville, who was one of the original "Three Musketeers" of Social Darwinism (Herbert Spencer and William Graham Sumner being the other two).

And another problem with a "survival of the fittest" economic agenda is that it has an unfortunate tendency to get itself replaced by its exact opposite - and the "replacement" process is, more often than not, extremely violent (as in France circa 1789, Russia circa 1917, etc.).

You might benefit greatly from reading the text of Quadragesimo Anno, a papal encyclical written by Pope Pius XI in 1931. It spells out Roman Catholic docrtine on contemporary economic issues far better than I ever could.

Last edited by Anthony; 05-19-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote