Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Question What Color Is Your Team's Arrow?

Ever notice when virtually any of the TV networks shows a graphic about the stock market, they use a green arrow (pointing up) to denote a rise in the market, and a red arrow (pointing down) to denote a drop?

Yes, I know it's early yet, but here's how I see the arrow colors for each of the NFL's 32 teams:

AFC EAST

New England: Not getting any younger, running game and defense no longer scare anybody - and can't see those trends reversing themselves right away.

N.Y. Jets: A bit of a trick question, in that do you use their final regular-season record or how far they get in the playoffs in determining whether their 2010 season will be better or worse than their 2009 season? I'll go for the former, and add that they're sooooo winning the division in 2010.

Miami: Weathered the strength-of-schedule storm fairly well under the circumstances. Lots of quantity albeit suspect quality at QB; should manage 9 wins or thereabouts.

Buffalo: Made the wrong choice at head coach, and most likely will have no opportunity of choice at quarterback. This could get ugly.

AFC NORTH

Cincinnati: Is it my imagination, or has their offense gotten awfully primitive all of a sudden? And they haven't had back-to-back winning non-strike seasons since 1976-77.

Baltimore: They're in essentially the same position in the spring of 2010 as the Eagles were in the spring of 2004 - they're sitting on a Super Bowl appearance if they can obtain a legitimate deep-threat receiver.

Pittsburgh: Yes, a safety can be League MVP By Attrition - and arguably, Troy Polamalu was this past season. Good shot at returning to the playoffs, but not to do a whole lot once there.

Cleveland: Can Brady Quinn and/or Derek Anderson really be that bad? They can, if they have receivers that push those of the '03 Eagles for worst in living memory. Presence of Mike Holmgren encouraging, and RB Jerome Harrison could be something special, but probably adds only a game or two to '09 victory total.

AFC SOUTH

Indianapolis: None of the last 16 Super Bowl bridesmaids have even reached the conference title game the next season - and they won't either.

Houston: Finally broke through with first winning season in '09. No reason they can't follow that up with first-ever playoff berth - and if the runner-up jinx takes a big enough bite out of the Colts, a division title. Matt Schaub was just warming up in the Pro Bowl.

Tennessee: This one's a tough call. Who did they really beat in those last ten games? May come in at 7 wins or so with another rough schedule.

Jacksonville: Del Rio is back, but strictly for one more year. And the hard-hit local economy is an added kick in the teeth.

AFC WEST

San Diego: L.T. has hit the wall and you have to wonder if Darren Sproles can hold up for an entire season. Can't help but win wretched division but another high playoff seed is unlikely.

Denver: If Josh McDaniels were a character from Alice in Wonderland, it would definitely be the Mad Hatter - and off with Brandon Marshall's head? The battle for second place is going to be dreadful to sit through.

Oakland: Since you know they won't win any more than five games while the current regime (both in the front office and on the sidelines) remains intact, they'll either win the same or less.

Kansas City: Liked their hustle at the end of '09, and RB Jamaal Charles has the same potential upside as Jerome Harrison in Cleveland.

NFC EAST

Dallas: Won the division last year, then even won a playoff game. Not convinced they do either again.

Philadelphia: Unless they change their core philosophy and get more physical on both sides of the ball, 9 wins sound a lot more plausible than the 11 they notched a year ago.

N.Y. Giants: Doubt if Timothy Leary ever had a trip as bad as the one they had in '09, especially on defense where they tied for 13th in yards allowed yet were 30th in points given up. They'll make a quick return to contention - for everything.

Washington: Help has already arrived at HC, and may be on the way at QB as well. But Redskin fans need to heed Alan Greenspan's warning against irrational exuberance.

NFC NORTH

Minnesota: Even if Favre does come back, they're good for 10 wins tops with that schedule - and if he doesn't, they could literally be "good" for 10 losses.

Green Bay: Aaron Rodgers has shut them all up - and so has the defense. If #4 does take a powder, they'll have the division wrapped up before the tundra even freezes.

Chicago: Suddenly the Jay Cutler trade doesn't look like such a brilliant move. Fewer injuries on defense would help.

Detroit: I'll be very specific - 3-5 at home plus 1-7 on the road equals 4-12.

NFC SOUTH

New Orleans: Exposed as one-dimensional down the stretch, but it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It will matter in 2010, although they should stay in double-digit-W land.

Atlanta: They don't have to hear about never having two winning seasons in a row anymore - and imagine what might have happened had Matt Ryan and/or Michael Turner not missed three late-season games that they lost, two of them just barely.

Carolina: Julius Peppers is unhappy. Can you blame him? And no first-round draft pick in a year when the labor situation greatly slims the free-agent pickings.

Tampa Bay: If Josh Freeman takes off, so do they - straight to the playoffs in fact, with worst-to-first division trend at their back and league's biggest drop in strength of schedule.

NFC WEST

Arizona: I've been carrying Matt Leinart's water long enough. He'll need a change of scenery to reinvent himself.

San Francisco: Don't figure to improve much (not without a transfusion at quarterback), but by just enough to win the division.

Seattle: They do have one thing going for them - they're not the Rams. That's a very small and very weak green arrow - as in 6-10.

St. Louis: 1-15 last year and they get a red arrow? If they don't draft Bradford or Clausen (and they almost certainly won't by the look of it), and when Marc Bulger breaks down before Halloween like he always does, they could shatter the all-time record for fewest points scored in a 16-game season (140 by the '92 Seahawks) - and since this could be the last 16-game season ever ...

Last edited by Anthony; 02-19-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Packers ... UP. I'm concerned about our CB play, surprisingly, as Harris and Woodson are in their 30s. We will need some young talent like BJ Raji to progress into consistent impact players. I was flabergasted when the 3-4 defense wilted against the Cardinals. But one thing is for sure: Rodgers is going to have another Pro Bowl season. Unlike 2009 where people were not expecting much, I wonder if the Packers can handle higher expectations in 2010.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

New Orleans DOWN - While I agree they won't have as good of a season as they did last year I disagree with anyone who says they will not be a playoff team, and I disagree with anyone who says they will not contend for the superbowl title again next year. Their defense isn't strong, but it's good enough to keep them in games, and with that offense, that's all the Saints need. And who says they are one dimensional? Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas suddenly can't run? Come on that's insane, they have a strong 1/2/3 PUNCH with Mike Bell being just as good. They don't NEED the Running game, but they have it.

Cincinnatti DOWN - I'm not sure what to expect with Cincy anymore. One year they are rivaling the Browns for the worst record, next year they win the division. That running game will always be strong with Cedric Benson, and Marv finally got the defense he dreamed of. My worry is WHAT HAPPENED TO CARSON PALMER? After Chris Henry went down...and than sadly out, Carson fell apart. They need a downfield threat and they will win the division, that downfield threat IS NOT Chad Ochocinco, as much as I love him.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The thing with the Saints is, aside from the turnovers, their defense is pretty mediocre. They were bottom third of the league in points and yards allowed. It was just good enough to get the job done, but, defenses that rely heavily on turnovers to get the job done can die by not getting enough turnovers the next season. The Saints are deep at running back the biggest concern though is their inability to stay healthy. None of their backs were healthy enough to appear in all 16 games last season and I think they all missed at least two games.

As for Palmer I am not so sure it is him as it is that he has nobody to throw to after Ocho. I think he really missed having Houshmandzadeh last year. Henry was never really healthy coming out of camp even and Laverneus Coles looks like he is washed up and their backs and tight ends contributed little to nothing to the passing game.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

I don't think Greg Williams and his blitzkrieg attack are going to have to much trouble causing turnovers, maybe not as many but they will get those turnovers, and Tracy Porter (The Legend Killer) isn't going anywhere, so I expect to see more great QB's picked off by TP.
As for the running game, it's true, they can't stay healthy. But with THREE backs they don't all have to stay healthy. They will always have SOMEONE who can run.

That is true, that is why I feel Carson needs a downfield threat, Ocho is good in the short to intermediate range, he really is, but he isn't good enough to get downfield deep and out run the corner. It's simply not plausible, and everybody can double cover him because nobody else is catching the football, ever. Chris Henry was their downfield threat. Weather he was healthy or not is a moot point. Look at Palmer's numbers when Chris was on the field compared to when he was out. Their is a SEVERE decline in Carson's stats. The thing is Chris got deep and caught the ball, when Carson threw it deep Henry caught it. Carson missed him, and so did I when I watched them play.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

To be honest I think Sharper's presence covers up a lot of mistakes the Saints corners make. It will be interesting to see what happens if Sharper bails or sees a degradation in play next season.

I think Ocho can stretch the field the problem is when the other receivers are guys like Andre Caldwell teams just roll the safety to Ocho's side of the field to keep him from getting open down the field.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

I agree, Sharper was a huge help, and the Saints better PAY THE MAN!

Ocho will always be covered unless the Bengals get a legit second reciever.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
Anthony

Laveranues Coles is not a legit second receiver?

He would have been a legit first receiver for the Eagles as recently as 2007.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Laveranues Coles is not a legit second receiver?
Nope, that is why the Bengals just released him the other day.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
Anthony

There's probably more to the Coles situation than meets the eye (as in maybe he didn't get along with Marvin Lewis?).

And since the Ravens still need a deep threat - something that Anquan Boldin is most emphatically not, and Donte Stallworth is a big question mark coming off what he's coming off - I think Baltimore should snap Coles up. And in Cleveland, Coles would be a 1-10 favorite to walk right into a starting job if they signed him.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There's probably more to the Coles situation than meets the eye (as in maybe he didn't get along with Marvin Lewis?).
I don't know given they lost Housh and Henry was barely healthy enough to play prior to his accident I have a hard time believing it had anything to do with he and Lewis not getting along. The Bengals were scrambling to find healthy receivers at times last season.

If Lewis can put up with Ocho's crap and not feel compelled to bench or suspend him even when the team was losing I have a hard time seeing Coles' lack of production having anything to do with his relationship with the coach.

Quote:
And since the Ravens still need a deep threat - something that Anquan Boldin is most emphatically not, and Donte Stallworth is a big question mark coming off what he's coming off - I think Baltimore should snap Coles up. And in Cleveland, Coles would be a 1-10 favorite to walk right into a starting job if they signed him.
Is Coles really considered a deep threat any more? I mean he has averaged only 11.6 yards per catch and never averaged more than 12.1 over the past six years. The first few years of his career he could stretch the field but ever sine he started having foot and toe issues it is all he can do to get close to 1,000 yards in a season despite his number catches being about the same.

Besides, I have a feeling the Ravens are going to spend a high pick on a receiver in the draft. They need to get younger and faster at receiver and guys like Boldin and Stallworth are stopgaps until they can get some good young talent that can play in the NFL.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I don't know given they lost Housh and Henry was barely healthy enough to play prior to his accident I have a hard time believing it had anything to do with he and Lewis not getting along. The Bengals were scrambling to find healthy receivers at times last season.

If Lewis can put up with Ocho's crap and not feel compelled to bench or suspend him even when the team was losing I have a hard time seeing Coles' lack of production having anything to do with his relationship with the coach.

And now, if the current rumors pan out, Lewis is going to have to deal with T.O. as well as Ochocinco - and just think, there's only one ball!

Quote:
Is Coles really considered a deep threat any more? I mean he has averaged only 11.6 yards per catch and never averaged more than 12.1 over the past six years. The first few years of his career he could stretch the field but ever sine he started having foot and toe issues it is all he can do to get close to 1,000 yards in a season despite his number catches being about the same.

Besides, I have a feeling the Ravens are going to spend a high pick on a receiver in the draft. They need to get younger and faster at receiver and guys like Boldin and Stallworth are stopgaps until they can get some good young talent that can play in the NFL.

But have you looked at Cleveland's WR depth chart lately? They could form their own 12-step program - Receivers Anonymous!

As for the Ravens, maybe they can come away with this year's DeSean Jackson in the draft; and if they do, not only the rest of the AFC North, but the rest of the entire NFL, had better look out.