Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #16
bohershberger
Rookie Player

bohershberger is on a distinguished road

Emmit Smith's hey day has come and gone. He's just like Michael Jordan with the Wizards. He's holding on for the love of the game. Yeah he's lost it, but that doesn't change the amazing things he's done in his career. He will still go down as one of the greatest. And this is coming from a Colts fan. Go Colts!
bohershberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:04 AM   #17
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

Terrell Owens...overrated. Too stupid a comment it's funny.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:10 PM   #18
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
...Donovan McNabb is still far and away the most overrated player in the game today...
Yes, McNabb really stinks. The Eagles would be the best team in the NFC if not for him.
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #19
jayhawker0033
Sports Enthusiast

jayhawker0033 is on a distinguished road

God, half the people you named are either injured or on the bench. How can a bench-warmer be the most overrated player?
jayhawker0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:59 AM   #20
marshall
Sports Enthusiast

marshall is on a distinguished road

No matter who the other 9........1.) Mike Vick- He is a great QB and I think he is one of the best QB's in the NFL but he made out to be the Michael Jordan of Football and its only his 3rd year.
2.) Warren Sapp- Has one good season back in 98 and now he is still playing off of that season. He runs his mouth off when he isn't even any good ANYMORE.
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:30 AM   #21
Cubs88
Brett Favre = MVP

Cubs88 is on a distinguished road

-
-
-
-
- - -
- - -
- - -
-

next reply box ----------->

Last edited by Cubs88; 01-04-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Cubs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:30 AM   #22
Cubs88
Brett Favre = MVP

Cubs88 is on a distinguished road

I say yes McNabb, The "turnaround" should be credited to Brian Westbrook, not that McNabb isn't good, or shouldn't start, but he is not as good as Favre, Trent Green, Aaron Brooks, Cullpepper, exc.

I put McNabb with the Jake Delhomme's or Quincy Carter??.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:38 AM   #23
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

BobbyBaseball is on a distinguished road

First off I'm not an eagles fan, but live in the Philadelphia area. But to be perfectly honest, if not for McNabb the eagles would be up the creek without a paddle. He doesn't have the greatest mechanics in the world, but he gets the job done!...an intangible so often overlooked. And he has done this with a very very average receivng group. How can you fault a man who has led his team to two straight nfc ships?

I consider Quincy Carter a dog and you can bet that the qb position in Dallas will be upgraded very soon.

My most over rated player: Keshawn Johnson
Old 01-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #24
h0kies4life87
Grizzled Veteran

h0kies4life87 is on a distinguished road

Vick overrated? Cmon....He was injured most of the year...hes very young...doesnt have hardly anybody else on offense.
Tennessee Titans
h0kies4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:01 AM   #25
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

Emmitt overrated? Are we talking about the all-time leading rusher here?

How about Randy Moss? His performance on the field is definitely not worth the headache he creates in the locker room...

Terrell Owens, Tommy Maddox, any Pittsburgh running back, Rich Gannon, Plaxico Burress, Keyshawn Johnson, Jevon Kearse, Jimmy Smith, and Lavar Arrington round out my list of major stars that are overrated.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:11 AM   #26
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyBaseball
First off I'm not an eagles fan, but live in the Philadelphia area. But to be perfectly honest, if not for McNabb the eagles would be up the creek without a paddle. He doesn't have the greatest mechanics in the world, but he gets the job done!...an intangible so often overlooked. And he has done this with a very very average receivng group. How can you fault a man who has led his team to two straight nfc ships?

I consider Quincy Carter a dog and you can bet that the qb position in Dallas will be upgraded very soon.

My most over rated player: Keshawn Johnson

"Very very average receiving group?" They're a lot worse than that - their five touchdowns tied the all-time record for fewest TDs by a team's wide receivers in a 16-game season (the '98 Eagles and '92 Seahawks also had five). Therefore, saying the Eagles have a "very, very average receiving group" is like saying that Mike Maroth is (or Anthony Young was, if you remember him) a "very, very average" pitcher.

No argument from me on Carter; in fact, I'm sure I'm not alone in expecting the Cowboys to make a serious bid to acquire Kurt Warner from the Rams (when you consider that they gave up two #1s to Seattle for Joey Galloway a few years ago, doing a similar quick-fix trade for Warner can hardly be seen as out of character for Jerry Jones).

As for Keyshawn Johnson - in order for a player to be overrated, a lot of people out there must think highly of him; and I sincerely doubt if too many people still do at this point.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-05-2004 at 10:17 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #27
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Packers3045 is on a distinguished road

The Eagles receivers used to be thought of as better than average but now they've been exposed
Old 01-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #28
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

BobbyBaseball is on a distinguished road

Nah....the Eagles haven't had a real receiver in quite some time. Maybe not since Mike Quick...hehehe

Anthony you're 100% correct, and you help make my point about McNabb...he has so few weapons on "o".....and really hasn't had any real #1 or #2 receiver ever!....

Anthony someone will pick up Keyshawn in a second!!!

Last edited by BobbyBaseball; 01-07-2004 at 09:06 PM.
BobbyBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:24 PM   #29
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

- Rich Gannon - Most of his yards are from where he dumps it off to Rice or Porter and they make unbelievable plays where they run it up the field.

- Plexico Burress - Had a good year last year, but this year he struggled with inconsistency and couldn't catch the ball if his life depended on it.

- Jon Kitna - An overrachieving showboat.

- Ray Lewis - Just had to put him here for his after play antics.. It seems like after every tackle he makes he acts like he just won the Superbowl. God I hate him.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:06 AM   #30
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

Hatred for Ray Lewis is one thing, but to not recognize that he is on pace to be perhaps the greatest linebacker to ever play the game is foolish. What's wrong with his antics? It's called intensity, heart, passion. You think Butkus was talking nicely to his opponents, or Singletary for that matter?

The lack of respect for Owens here is also laughable. I will own up to the fact that Owens has stiff hands on occasion, but considering how many gamebreaking plays he has made during his career while constantly fighting double and triple teams, I think some of you are lacking a bit in thought to consider TO as overrated.

You want overrated? Kurt Warner in his heyday. There is no doubt in my mind that Trent Green would have done the same thing, if not slightly better had it not been for Rodney the Hitman. I believed it then when everyone was riding Warner's jock, I believe it now.

More overrated? from a statistical point of view, definitely Brad Johnson. His stats help shadow his poor footwork and inconsistent performance.

One more? Charles Woodson. Perhaps he can be as good as advertised, but he's injured too often for all of us to really find out. His contract situation will be interesting to watch this year.

Last edited by El Jefe; 01-08-2004 at 08:58 PM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote